• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Yet YOU are investing in this? Don't you think(at your young age) you could be a tad smarter with the limited funds you have?

This is what I would do if I were in your shoes.

1. I would find a job that I could be in as a career, not the in one week\ out the next.

2. sign up for a company 401K program

now you have benefits (medical, dental, etc.)

3. I would go to night school, either get your high school diploma or get a college degree.

This is a very manageable task to a better life for you, yet you want to always try the easy way.

Let me tell you there is no easy way. You have to earn your stripes in this world.

Oak,

This is totally a tangent to your points here, but I found it interesting as I was reading them. The points you list may very well be valued in the USA, but the fellow in question here is in Canada, and in one of the most 'progressive' provinces to boot. Therefore, he is essentially guaranteed the equivalent, perhaps a little less, of a  minimum wage job from the government of Ontario, and a government pension plan that isn't much, but still allows one who has not worked for most of their life to have an income stream when too old to work. Medical costs nothing here, unless you are supporting it via income tax, therefore, that is a cost he doesn't have to worry about, just dental and pharmaceuticals. Priorities differ here I suppose if you are starting at the bottom, because you are guaranteed so much more. 

Now, there is no 'easy way' as you say, but in a country where almost everything is provided for you, there is nowhere where it easier. It is simply a lack of motivation, plain and simple. 

All this to say that even when you are in a country where the government assures you a comfortable life in comparison to the majority of the rest of the world, it is still impossible to assure one's success. A guaranteed outcome is impossible no matter how much legislation there is to try to force one. You can't legislate motivation or success, this comes from within.

You're likely more motivated, this is my opinion, if you are  poor in the US. In Canada it is somewhat comfortable to live off of the government negating the want to change your stripe. 

38 minutes ago, Patriot6 said:

Oak,

This is totally a tangent to your points here, but I found it interesting as I was reading them. The points you list may very well be valued in the USA, but the fellow in question here is in Canada, and in one of the most 'progressive' provinces to boot. Therefore, he is essentially guaranteed the equivalent, perhaps a little less, of a  minimum wage job from the government of Ontario, and a government pension plan that isn't much, but still allows one who has not worked for most of their life to have an income stream when too old to work. Medical costs nothing here, unless you are supporting it via income tax, therefore, that is a cost he doesn't have to worry about, just dental and pharmaceuticals. Priorities differ here I suppose if you are starting at the bottom, because you are guaranteed so much more. 

Now, there is no 'easy way' as you say, but in a country where almost everything is provided for you, there is nowhere where it easier. It is simply a lack of motivation, plain and simple. 

All this to say that even when you are in a country where the government assures you a comfortable life in comparison to the majority of the rest of the world, it is still impossible to assure one's success. A guaranteed outcome is impossible no matter how much legislation there is to try to force one. You can't legislate motivation or success, this comes from within.

You're likely more motivated, this is my opinion, if you are  poor in the US. In Canada it is somewhat comfortable to live off of the government negating the want to change your stripe. 

This saddens me all the more.

6 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Yet YOU are investing in this? Don't you think(at your young age) you could be a tad smarter with the limited funds you have?

1. I would find a job that I could be in as a career, not the in one week\ out the next.

3. I would go to night school, either get your high school diploma or get a college degree.

This is a very manageable task to a better life for you, yet you want to always try the easy way.

Let me tell you there is no easy way. You have to earn your stripes in this world.

giphy.gif

Look at Oak go!

I've noticed something, 99% of successful people have a history of busting their A early in their life.  

36 minutes ago, jaybuck43 said:

giphy.gif

Look at Oak go!

I've noticed something, 99% of successful people have a history of busting their A early in their life.  

Oh yeah! That job sucked. Had to make sure the donuts were ready for the cops at 5 AM. (:

7 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Let me tell you a little about myself as well.

I graduated High School in 1983 at 18 . Then went right into College( Cal State Fullerton) 1983- 1987

I worked a job at gas station during the evening, and baked donuts in the graveyard shift. Went home, slept for a couple hours, and went to school. For four years everyday, the same sheit. I graduated in 1987 with my bachelors degree in business management\ marketing. A pain in the A , yes! I did it though, because I knew it would provide me with a better life in the long run. 

At your age (25) I was getting married, and buying a house.

At least he knows how to spell encrypted.

"incrypted"? lol

1 minute ago, Hibou said:

:hi: ... its going to take me a while to get used to the new functions but I'm getting there!

others may disagree,but it's not so bad.Good to see you,seems it's been some time.

On 3/4/2018 at 9:58 AM, oakman29 said:

If you misunderstood me I am looking for a job, we don't have 401K we have RRSP and TFSA which I already checked into both and want no part in. I already have my high school diploma.

12 hours ago, Hibou said:

Oh my...

Gabriel- I think I remember that correctly- bless you for your perseverance!

What Logan said is correct except for the spelling of encryption. 

1 hour ago, uchiha101 said:

If you misunderstood me I am looking for a job, we don't have 401K we have RRSP and TFSA which I already checked into both and want no part in. I already have my high school diploma.

So you are going to invest in crypto currency with only a high school education, no job or job prospects and you scoff at TFSA and RRSP's? SMART!!!!

So, how are you supporting yourself (still getting government aid?) and where are you living now?

1 hour ago, uchiha101 said:

What Logan said is correct except for the spelling of encryption. 

What? You spelled it right, oakie spelled it wrong and I was teasing him about it (shrug)

54 minutes ago, Wall-Crawler said:

So you are going to invest in crypto currency with only a high school education, no job or job prospects and you scoff at TFSA and RRSP's? SMART!!!!

So, how are you supporting yourself (still getting government aid?) and where are you living now?

Still getting government aid? Yes, for now, I'm back on it as after I quit Subway I was able to hold on for a few months longer by reselling things. That said I'm getting my resume fixed, getting a new doctor, got a new work number, getting tested are re-tested for disability, and considering getting a cheaper place but you wouldn't know that would you? I said that as soon as I came back but that must have flown over your head. 

Second, where did I say that I scoff at TFSA or RRSP's? I said that they're not for me nothing more so instead of assuming things you can ask me to clarify. Oh and the reason why I don't want a TFSA right now is that I can put my money into better and more important things.

3 hours ago, uchiha101 said:

On 3/4/2018 at 7:48 AM, Mercury Man said:

crypto.jpg

It would only be gone if you did something stupid with it.

Or if you invest in an ICO - where 10% is taken by hackers

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/cryptocurrency-ico-10-percent-hackers/

Or if had money at coincheck

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/28/coincheck-nem-hack-unlikely-last-for-cryptocurrency-space-analyst.html

Or your crypto of choice fails ( or you give $$ to the outright scam ones)....

http://fortune.com/2018/02/25/cryptocurrency-ico-collapse/

8 8