• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
45 45

6,115 posts in this topic

On 12/6/2022 at 9:22 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Indeed. Add to that that the OP stated that CGC "even made my page tear look better when they re-slabbed it by placing the white part behind the other portion".

If that is true:

• CGC missed the tear the first time and graded the book a 9.6
  • They then sent it out with a large, visible piece of plastic in the case
  • On return, they removed the plastic, reset the tear to look better, and then sent it out again, still as a 9.6.

I of course understand why Mike would want to protect the QA Manager from the possibility of having a difficult time here, were he to come forward with an update on his progress. But that is the guy's job, it's what he's paid for. I would've thought he would welcome the chance to communicate with us, if not directly about this case then in general to tell us what steps he had taken to improve matters since his appointment six months ago. Most of us here are adults, will cut CGC a lot of slack and show understanding of the position they are in operationally as they struggle with volumes. But avoiding responsibility and high handed communication doesn't help matters.  

Geez.  I'm not a huge submitter by any means but I do submit a fair number of books… I love show off my books and sing CGC’s praises wherever/whenever I can!

I’ve easily got around 20 Modern books from my own submissions that received 9.6’s that (in my mind) were easy 9.8’s… I decide to not make a stink because hey, who am I to dare question the CGC graders??

Then I see THIS 9.6 with THAT tear and man it makes me furious!!  This is just so UNSAT and a huge slap in the face to EVERYONE that submits books!  It’s not even subjective… that book should NEVER have received a 9.6 and to think it basically was given the grade twice AND CGC helped hide the evidence by tucking the tear so it wouldn’t show as bad… WOW!!!!

Years ago, I was one of CGC's biggest cheerleaders. I would praise them to whoever was within earshot. I'm sure I was quite annoying to my friends and family. "Oh great, we have to listen to the old geezer talk about his funny books again."

I haven't raised a pom-pom in years. I'll still give them a thumbs-up now and then for doing something good, but they've gone so far downhill in the last few years (actions, decisions, and attitude), there's quite possibly no chance to go back to being the best out there. Given their "let them eat cake" attitude for all these screw-ups (including this latest disaster - a 9.6 for a comic with a tear? Really?), I've become, as you all know, a very vocal criticizer of CGC.

I can't be critical of the people who claim they are the best at resto detection, or have the best slab, or their knowledge is tops (although I have to bite my tongue with this one), or this or that. People have their own opinions. One thing that isn't opinion, but rather fact, is that their Quality Control is, by far, the worst in the industry. (What happened to pride of putting out an acceptable product?)  But that's not even the worst part of CGC, after all, somebody's got to be last. What, to me, is the worst part of this company is the attitude that they have ... not only for their customers, but also for their own shortcomings. It's part "let them eat cake" and part "I don't care". It's like they have no interest in improving. The people at the top, imo, need to rethink a lot of their decisions.

By the way, that 9.6/tear wasn't just a QC issue. It was deceit. This was not the first case of deceit in this thread.

There are tons of complaints about CGC being too harsh, but what we rarely see are all the books that people get back that are clearly overgraded.  I imagine that number dwarfs the undergraded category.  People take their “gifts” and quickly pass them on to others.    This fills the marketplace with overgraded hot potatoes, and creates continued consumer dissatisfaction in the product.  

On 12/6/2022 at 5:56 PM, Sigur Ros said:

I guess wanting a QC manager to come to the place all the QC issues are discussed, and acknowledge that he'll strive to work on the QC performance is asking too much.

My question would have been...since we've seen literally no improvement since he started, except for a messenger claiming he reports the problems ....is he really the right guy for the job?

While I agree with the sentiment, the fact is that a couple dozen people on a message board, even CGC's own message board, isn't a hill of beans compared to the business CGC pulls in these days. They've made it abundantly clear that they find the current rate of errors to be acceptable in the face of the volume of business they're doing. Their QC guy isn't going to come talk to us. Hell, I'm surprised he even talks to Mike. Boardies account for the tiniest fraction of subs to CGC, and they don't care. As long as they're doing big volume business, keep piling on the sig series events, etc, our concerns mean jack. The money keeps rolling in, they do not have to worry about what we are worried about. This is not the CGC we used to know, and people are just going to have to get used to that idea. This CGC is not about accountability. This CGC is about money, purely, and if a problem becomes large enough that they have to actually acknowledge it, they can throw money at it to make it go away, or ignore it altogether.

I appreciate Mike doing what he does, trying to be an advocate in addition to his other duties, but I don't feel that the higher-ups really care. 

Have a friend who submitted a coverless Brave and the Bold #28 because he wanted the splash page displayed.  

This isn't the splash page.

Apparently, they ripped a random page out and placed it on top.

BB.thumb.jpg.5e7d0eae13e752506b111207a489482d.jpg

Edited by BlowUpTheMoon
greggy is a dork

On 12/7/2022 at 1:01 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Have a friend who submitted a coverless Brave and the Bold #28 because he wanted the splash page displayed.  

Let us have a contest, guess the next CGC QC issue.

My guess, a slab that when it is pulled out of the return shipping box catches fire. (shrug)

On 12/7/2022 at 12:01 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

This is completely baffling.

Though a separate issue from QC, based on recent output and replies to the output, I am very concerned about how my missing UPS package will be handled (and it hasn't been handled great to this point).

On 12/7/2022 at 7:11 AM, F For Fake said:

While I agree with the sentiment, the fact is that a couple dozen people on a message board, even CGC's own message board, isn't a hill of beans compared to the business CGC pulls in these days. They've made it abundantly clear that they find the current rate of errors to be acceptable in the face of the volume of business they're doing. Their QC guy isn't going to come talk to us. Hell, I'm surprised he even talks to Mike. Boardies account for the tiniest fraction of subs to CGC, and they don't care. As long as they're doing big volume business, keep piling on the sig series events, etc, our concerns mean jack. The money keeps rolling in, they do not have to worry about what we are worried about. This is not the CGC we used to know, and people are just going to have to get used to that idea. This CGC is not about accountability. This CGC is about money, purely, and if a problem becomes large enough that they have to actually acknowledge it, they can throw money at it to make it go away, or ignore it altogether.

I appreciate Mike doing what he does, trying to be an advocate in addition to his other duties, but I don't feel that the higher-ups really care. 

^^^^^^^^^^

Every.

Damn.

Word. 

f1f61d6a8a1bcac06e77c7930dc7facc.gif

On 12/7/2022 at 2:43 PM, Domo Arigato said:

I was tempted (for about half a second) during CGC's black friday sale to get a Premium Membership for $99 in order to get the $150 credit for grading.

It took me that half a second to remember everything I've seen in this thread, and all the ways CGC could screw up the books it's taken me decades to acquire. 

There's simply no way in hell I'm letting that happen.

Essentially the black Friday deal was just adding back the 10% member discount for 25 books.

Edited by Tnexus

On 12/7/2022 at 1:01 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I posted these from the same friend a while ago. He doesn't submit a lot of books but does have a high ME return rate. 

21948.jpeg.492bed485a86b0e078038a13de7f40a8.jpeg.507bbfdaeb0771a156fc325c9a74b185.jpeg

21949.jpeg.e84f402356da9a3ea934cce00b61eb49.jpeg.ad12388d77515791e6862bca0af1e2af.jpeg

• Administrator

So, I have been speaking with management about the 2 week window for ME's.  I do have some good news.  This pertains to all books.  You do not have to be the submitter, and there is no time limit.  You can fill out a submission form with the Mechanical Error option.  A prepaid shipping label will automatically be sent to you.  (Non US customers will have to contact customer service for the shipping label)  We will fix books listed below for free in the "Fix for no charge" column.  

FIX NO CHARGE:

Wrong label information

Book inserted wrong

Book pinched between inner well seal

Debris inside holder

REHOLDER/REPAIR FEE:

Holder scratches

Cracked/damaged holders

Damaged books

On 12/8/2022 at 10:47 AM, CGC Mike said:

So, I have been speaking with management about the 2 week window for ME's.  I do have some good news.  This pertains to all books.  You do not have to be the submitter, and there is no time limit.  You can fill out a submission form with the Mechanical Error option.  A prepaid shipping label will automatically be sent to you.  (Non US customers will have to contact customer service for the shipping label)  We will fix books listed below for free in the "Fix for no charge" column.  

FIX NO CHARGE:

Wrong label information

Book inserted wrong

Debris inside holder

REHOLDER/REPAIR FEE:

Holder scratches

Cracked/damaged holders

Damaged books

That is a good movement!

On 12/8/2022 at 12:47 PM, CGC Mike said:

FIX NO CHARGE:

Wrong label information

Book inserted wrong

Debris inside holder

REHOLDER/REPAIR FEE:

Holder scratches

Cracked/damaged holders

Damaged books

Cracked/Damaged Holders* 

If it was possibly done in shipping/slipped through in the shipping dept or has that just changed in the past month? Had a cracked holder come in and contacted customer service and they had me resub with a mechanical error  no charge.