• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,124 posts in this topic

On 4/20/2022 at 4:52 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Last question :foryou:

Is this team made up of  “comic people” ?

Doubtful, but this just highlights the importance of CGC establishing standards for which the encapsulation team (and really everyone in the process) to abide by because they really need to understand that what they're dealing with is thousands of dollars worth of material at any given time.

On 4/20/2022 at 7:58 PM, ExNihilo said:

Doubtful, but this just highlights the importance of CGC establishing standards for which the encapsulation team (and really everyone in the process) to abide by because they really need to understand that what they're dealing with is thousands of dollars worth of material at any given time.

See....I don’t think pedestrians get it.  They may understand the book is fragile, but not in the same way a comic collector does.   

I think they understand that, but dealing with thousands of books with varying degrees of fragility is kind of like juggling with nitroglycerine...  

On 4/20/2022 at 8:04 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

See....I don’t think pedestrians get it.  They may understand the book is fragile, but not in the same way a comic collector does.   

I don't know. This isn't rocket surgery. If your employer stresses how important something is and how fragile something is clearly enough anyone should be able to understand it. 

On 4/20/2022 at 8:08 PM, wombat said:

I don't know. This isn't rocket surgery. If your employer stresses how important something is and how fragile something is clearly enough anyone should be able to understand it. 

That seems to be Blackstones theory.

How’s that working out though?

On 4/20/2022 at 8:19 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:
On 4/20/2022 at 8:08 PM, wombat said:

That seems to be Blackstones theory.

How’s that working out though?

They need to hire competent people and have good processes in place. They don't need to only hire comic collectors. 

On 4/20/2022 at 8:31 PM, wombat said:

They need to hire competent people and have good processes in place. They don't need to only hire comic collectors. 

“Comic people” 

I suppose if the training of pedestrians involved the grading of comics to some extent, they could learn to appreciate how even the tiniest of bumps and bruises impact the value of the widget they’re handling, thus gaining an understanding of how careful they actually need to be.  Maybe less “finger bends” in the graders notes :wishluck:

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

I tend to wonder if this "announcement" will be a moratorium on new submissions...The train seems to be going so fast down the tracks at the moment that to conduct process improvements/internal audits and apply the results it would seem you would have to slow the train down.  I'm not necessarily suggesting a blanket moratorium, but let's face it, people these days are encapsulating every darn thing under the sun

On 4/20/2022 at 8:41 PM, This is Who We Are said:

I tend to wonder if this "announcement" will be a moratorium on new submissions...The train seems to be going so fast down the tracks at the moment that to conduct process improvements/internal audits and apply the results it would seem you would have to slow the train down.  I'm not necessarily suggesting a blanket moratorium, but let's face it, people these days are encapsulating every darn thing under the sun

Halting submissions right now might be akin to handing out coupons to the grading services across the street.

On 4/20/2022 at 8:50 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Halting submissions right now might be akin to handing out coupons to the grading services across the street.

You're right but that might be crazy enough to work.  

Check it:  CGC halts submissions for 4 months, catches up, does a giant audit, and gets their :censored: together.  In the meantime, the Other Guys are SLAMMED trying to pick up the slack because they're also in too deep with their wait times.  It exacerbates their problems.  CGC comes roaring back with a new outfit and 20lbs lighter and kill it in the long run. 

Or, neither gets better and we start using EGS :tonofbricks: 

Edited by Beastfeast

On 4/20/2022 at 5:50 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I don't disagree, but if the voiced concerns in this thread are merely a small percentage of a choir of concerns, one has to be thinking long-game for brand sustainability...that's where a targeted approach may be called for in terms of whether they enact moratoriums

On 4/20/2022 at 5:58 PM, This is Who We Are said:

I don't disagree, but if the voiced concerns in this thread are merely a small percentage of a choir of concerns, one has to be thinking long-game for brand sustainability...that's where a targeted approach may be called for in terms of whether they enact moratoriums

Given the endless number of emails I receive each week promoting exclusive private signing events, I don't see them temporarily halting new submissions to get caught up.  Companies usually imagine themselves being "agile" from a business perspective so they are probably going to try to enact changes while continuing to operate business as usual.

On 4/20/2022 at 6:01 PM, ExNihilo said:

Given the endless number of emails I receive each week promoting exclusive private signing events, I don't see them temporarily halting new submissions to get caught up.  Companies usually imagine themselves being "agile" from a business perspective so they are probably going to try to enact changes while continuing to operate business as usual.

Building the plane while in flight is what I think I'm hearing you say.  I can dig it...but I'll be watching from the ground

@CGC Mike

Not sure who needs to be notified on the situation at this link........but it probably needs to be done quickly.

There appears to be 8 facsimile books mislabeled as genuine from a single submission, and the mislabel is going to be a costly one for anyone who buys them

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 4/20/2022 at 9:58 PM, ExNihilo said:
On 4/20/2022 at 9:07 PM, This is Who We Are said:

Building the plane while in flight is what I think I'm hearing you say.  I can dig it...but I'll be watching from the ground

Well, more like trying to fix a broken landing gear while in flight.

Wouldn’t some kind of ship analogy be more apt?