• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
45 45

6,108 posts in this topic

Gotta think they will go with data entry fail. Which I have to believe is the most likely. I can't believe they would want to either admit their graders so badly overgraded a book. Nor would they want to admit that their cases were that easy to tamper with. That leaves data entry fail, which most of us already have seen many instances of bad QC.

If the corner posts are cracked, the CGC case has done its part to alert the buyer it's been tampered with, so why would CGC not come out & confirm the book has been swapped?

Regarding CGC response, historically I have noticed that they either choose to not respond at all or they 100% tell the truth. I agree with Michael here, they would never fabricate an alternate answer to look better. When it is their fault they admit it. I still think the slab has been tampered with.

Edited by bomber-bob

See I don't understand the crack thing. Maybe it my child at Christmas morning mentality, but every time I have popped one out the case there was no way the case could be reused. I just don't see how it is possible.

I have cracked out many books in my CGC collecting lifetime. Most of the time I can successfully retain a reusable slab, a slab with only a small hairline crack on the side, near the post, not visible from the front. I then use the slabs to put my favorite raw comics on display. If you were to inspect these 'slabs' in hand, you would be hard pressed to notice any obvious damage. Here's a couple pics of my display stand.....

IMG_4170.jpg

IMG_4171.jpg

See I don't understand the crack thing. Maybe it my child at Christmas morning mentality, but every time I have popped one out the case there was no way the case could be reused. I just don't see how it is possible.

I have cracked out many books in my CGC collecting lifetime. Most of the time I can successfully retain a reusable slab, a slab with only a small hairline crack on the side, near the post, not visible from the front. I then use the slabs to put my favorite raw comics on display. If you were to inspect these 'slabs' in hand, you would be hard pressed to notice any obvious damage. Here's a couple pics of my display stand.....

IMG_4170.jpg

IMG_4171.jpg

Beautifully displayed. Is this a confession? :baiting:

IMG_4170.jpg

IMG_4171.jpg

I guess that rules out data entry and the North Koreans.

IMG_4170.jpg

IMG_4171.jpg

That is a nice display.

But may I ask, why crack out the books in the first place? I mean hey, to each his own you can do as you like, just not sure I understand why you do it.

Some people don't want/need their comics "entombed." They will buy a book in a CGC slab for the opinion on grade, for the restoration check, for other reasons altogether. They also like to read their comics, as not all books have reprints.

:)

-slym

That is a nice display.

But may I ask, why crack out the books in the first place? I mean hey, to each his own you can do as you like, just not sure I understand why you do it.

Thanks, good question. I actually crack out a very small portion of my slab holdings. If I was unhappy with a submission but I really liked the book, I would deslab it and put it into mylar as a keeper. Most often on PLODs or Qualified, sometimes just because of the grade. If I didn't like the way the book was holdered, I would deslab. Example, if the book is very loose in the inner well and sliding around I figured it would be safer just to take it out. If there was a foreign object in the inner well and I didn't feel like dealing with a reholder I would take it out. Hopefully, this makes some sense ?

That is a nice display.

Thanks, good question. I actually crack out a very small portion of my slab holdings. If I was unhappy with a submission but I really liked the book, I would deslab it and put it into mylar as a keeper. Most often on PLODs or Qualified, sometimes just because of the grade. If I didn't like the way the book was holdered, I would deslab. Example, if the book is very loose in the inner well and sliding around I figured it would be safer just to take it out. If there was a foreign object in the inner well and I didn't feel like dealing with a reholder I would take it out. Hopefully, this makes some sense ?

Fair enough, sounds good.

But wait, are you saying all those extraneous loose hairs and crud inside the slabs aren't suppose to be there lol:devil:

IMG_4170.jpg

IMG_4171.jpg

Bob, can you please clarify what you are saying? I think some are believing that you are claiming you have "re-snapped" the posts together on the slab, and that it would not be obvious that they are in fact broken if a person were to actually visually inspect the "re-used" slabs in hand.

-J.

A couple of years ago I received a CGC comic in the mail, I live in Regina Sk Canada and it was a typical cold winter day. The slab I received was a comic for my personal collection so it is/was cracked out. Brought the slab in "directly from the cold" and put a butter knife on the side to spread it open, usually a post breaks or the plastic cracks, the posts popped out perfectly and I removed the contents and they popped back together.

Not sure if it was the extreme cold and there was a possible contraction of the inner post or ?, but regardless it was undetectable. 2c

Maybe they could have a fail safe system where they have the CGC cert# etched on the case somewhere to make sure that both numbers correlate (shrug)

Bob, can you please clarify what you are saying? I think some are believing that you are claiming you have "re-snapped" the posts together on the slab, and that it would not be obvious that they are in fact broken if a person were to actually visually inspect the "re-used" slabs in hand.

-J.

Okay, I am holding one of my display slabs in my hands. Obviously, to get the original book out you need to pop two posts. In this case it is the top two posts. Both posts have been resnapped back together. Are the posts tight and snug secure ? No. Are they tight enough that they stay together with ordinary handling ? Yes. My trick is to put the re-snapped slab into a tight CGC bag. In the bag the posts are tight and secure. Out of the bag, the slab will open very easily by prying on one of the sides. I can only see one hairline crack, on one side only, near the post, one inch max, very faint.

I am not mechanically inclined. I cannot 100% of the time open up a slab without damage. My secret to opening the slab without obvious damage is rather simple but will not be disclosed here. I do this just for my own personal use. I have never sold or given anyone else one of my snapped slabs. I only brought this up to back up my position that the ASM 5 slab was tampered with.

Edited by bomber-bob