• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,124 posts in this topic

A couple of years ago I received a CGC comic in the mail, I live in Regina Sk Canada and it was a typical cold winter day. The slab I received was a comic for my personal collection so it is/was cracked out. Brought the slab in "directly from the cold" and put a butter knife on the side to spread it open, usually a post breaks or the plastic cracks, the posts popped out perfectly and I removed the contents and they popped back together.

Not sure if it was the extreme cold and there was a possible contraction of the inner post or ?, but regardless it was undetectable. 2c

Maybe they could have a fail safe system where they have the CGC cert# etched on the case somewhere to make sure that both numbers correlate (shrug)

I think I would have to see a youtube video of this to really believe it. Although I have tried on numerous occasions to see if it was remotely possible, every slab I have cracked has either ended up splintering all over the cracked along the side as Bomber Bob described. And even if I could pop one corner with even a slight crack, the second post inevitably destroys the slab every time (or at least made it extremely "tamper evident").

-J.

A couple of years ago I received a CGC comic in the mail, I live in Regina Sk Canada and it was a typical cold winter day. The slab I received was a comic for my personal collection so it is/was cracked out. Brought the slab in "directly from the cold" and put a butter knife on the side to spread it open, usually a post breaks or the plastic cracks, the posts popped out perfectly and I removed the contents and they popped back together.

Not sure if it was the extreme cold and there was a possible contraction of the inner post or ?, but regardless it was undetectable. 2c

Maybe they could have a fail safe system where they have the CGC cert# etched on the case somewhere to make sure that both numbers correlate (shrug)

I think I would have to see a youtube video of this to really believe it. Although I have tried on numerous occasions to see if it was remotely possible, every slab I have cracked has either ended up splintering all over the cracked along the side as Bomber Bob described. And even if I could pop one corner with even a slight crack, the second post inevitably destroys the slab every time (or at least made it extremely "tamper evident").

-J.

How do you open them? I've cracked maybe a dozen slabs using a flathead screwdriver, and while the posts always get damaged ( I haven't actually tried to avoid this), I've never had a case splinter on me.

-J.

How do you open them? I've cracked maybe a dozen slabs using a flathead screwdriver, and while the posts always get damaged ( I haven't actually tried to avoid this), I've never had a case splinter on me.

Sounds like Jaydog has a rough touch ! :roflmao:

-J.

I just open mine with my hands but every now and then I get a slab that is extra tight and that can help splinter the slab. I have opened slabs with a screwdriver but when you get one of those tight slabs then it usually is going to crack at some point.

-J.

lol I am known to have "heavy hands" as my mother would say, but I do use a flat head. The moment I get to the second post is where things get dicey, and in a worst case scenario the case splinters as if I snapped a CD in half.

-J.

-J.

lol I am known to have "heavy hands" as my mother would say, but I do use a flat head. The moment I get to the second post is where things get dicey, and in a worst case scenario the case splinters as if I snapped a CD in half.

-J.

Okay, I will say this, using a screwdriver to open up the slab is the worst thing. It will probably crack and damage the slab for sure.

-J.

Perhaps if you had read his posting you would comprehend the point he was making; Brought the slab in "directly from the cold"

The colder the temperature the greater the contraction of the material, so what beaumonts is reporting is completely plausible.

I use a kitchen knife.I don't really try to pop the book without breaking the posts, but I think a good percent of my opened slabs could pass as unopened. Especially to the uninformed , at a show.

i have little doubt a professional thief would have a much higher percentage.

-J.

Perhaps if you had read his posting you would comprehend the point he was making; Brought the slab in "directly from the cold"

The colder the temperature the greater the contraction of the material, so what beaumonts is reporting is completely plausible.

I read his post and comprehended it fine, thanks. There are plenty of people on these boards that live in cold climate and that may or may not have anything to do with his experience.

If anything I'm inclined to think bomber-bob's results are typical and that the posts can snap back together but could easily be pulled apart again with the fingers, thus making it obvious if the slab has been tampered with, if in hand.

-J.

One of the biggest issues with CGC slabs is that the label is not sealed in. If you use 12" tweezers or a pair of Polypus you can reach in and pull out and swap the label without cracking the posts. The label SHOULD BE sealed in the inner well :(

-J.

I read his post and comprehended it fine, thanks. There are plenty of people on these boards that live in cold climate and that may or may not have anything to do with his experience.

If anything I'm inclined to think bomber-bob's results are typical and that the posts can snap back together but could easily be pulled apart again with the fingers, thus making it obvious if the slab has been tampered with, if in hand.

-J.

two dots of crazy glue can take care of that. Once you know the technique you can crack out slabs with your fingers with little to no damage to the case.

One of the biggest issues with CGC slabs is that the label is not sealed in. If you use 12" tweezers or a pair of Polypus you can reach in and pull out and swap the label without cracking the posts. The label SHOULD BE sealed in the inner well :(

Again, I would like to see a youtube video of this actually being done. Yes I could imagine one being pulled out. But not without ripping it, or damaging it significantly. Same for trying to put a different one in.

-J.

-J.

-J.

two dots of crazy glue can take care of that. Once you know the technique you can crack out slabs with your fingers with little to no damage to the case.

Precisely the reason why I thoroughly inspect any slab I buy. lol

-J.

-J.

-J.

:o

This seems appropriate for this thread:

ASM249CanadianVariant.jpg

Is that a typo or are you suggesting the label has been switched?

That has to be a typo. Did they even have Canadian editions in the era when # 149 was published?