• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
45 45

6,115 posts in this topic

i don't want to read 40 plus pages, but this is a QC issue nd not a pop and swap with another CGC of the same grade.

Facts are you CANNOT slide the inner well out of the holder without breaking the plastic holder. It just not possible.

I guess they could keep the inner well intact and try to reseal the CGC holder with some kind of glue, but based on the picture the slab looks intact.

CAN YOU PUT UP A SIDE IMAGE OF THE COMIC HOLDER? that's where it would be sealed back at if in fact they broke it.

Perhaps you should read the entire forty pages. It appears there is much you have to learn. Not only is it possible to slide out the labels on many slabs, on some slabs its quite easy to do so. Its been documented many times over the last decade. CGc turns a blind eye to it, assuming most people will assume it cant be done.

I've read time and again how someone popped the slabs undetectably. Sometimes they crack, sometimes they dont. Variances in manufacture or something. Apparently cold makes it easier. I fear a situation where more slabs with swapped books come to light, making people question what's in their slabs.

You have to remember that the People at CGC are human too, and can also make mistakes from time to time.

Isn't that what QC is for?

Quality control is never perfect. Even if you're a rocket scientist.

Sure. But these seem like pretty obvious errors. So now you have easy to spot mistakes happening at multiple levels. Seems like that would be an issue.

But we're talking about percentages and after nearly 3 Million graded books, even if the percentages are small you're going to see a decent amount of errors.

I've read time and again how someone popped the slabs undetectably. Sometimes they crack, sometimes they dont. Variances in manufacture or something. Apparently cold makes it easier. I fear a situation where more slabs with swapped books come to light, making people question what's in their slabs.

After reading this thread, now I'm worried about my slabs. :P

You have to remember that the People at CGC are human too, and can also make mistakes from time to time.

Isn't that what QC is for?

Quality control is never perfect. Even if you're a rocket scientist.

Sure. But these seem like pretty obvious errors. So now you have easy to spot mistakes happening at multiple levels. Seems like that would be an issue.

The errors are easy to spot because you're focusing on just 1 book and somebody has already pointed out that there's an error to be found. You don't think titles & issue numbers start to blur together if you're looking at a 1000+ books a day?

So, the posts are not sonically welded, they just snap together?

I guess there is such a thing as a stupid question.

-slym

The case is sonically welded together - not just snapped together.

That's what I thought. I didn't know for sure so I did not comment earlier.

This conversation has turned to the sublime. I'm not paranoid but I do check the integrity of the posts of the second hand slabs that I purchase, particularly those from eBay and high dollar ones. I do a moderate stress test to make sure the posts have not simply been "crazy glued" back together. If they were they would very easily pop back apart. If I purchase a cracked slab at a discount I perform an even sterner stress test and I also inspect the book inside the slab to make sure it is consistent with the grade still. CGC will re-holder without a re-grade if three of four posts are in tact (if I'm not mistaken). It really is not that hard to detect tampering with a slab. There are other ways of verifying a slab's identity as well, including looking up the label number and buying graders' notes. If you have handled and inspected more than just a few slabs you should know right away whether or not there is something funky going on with one if you have it in hand. (thumbs u

-J.

I guess there is such a thing as a stupid question.

-slym

I know the inner wells are sonic sealed. The tracks on the outer edges/seams of the Barex sheets are the tell and is present for grip during the sonic sealing process.

The outer case however, due to the hard plastic, materials used, and design, which relies on a seated 4-post system, would more likely be bonded through heat adhesion and pressure, but I'm not sure if sonic sealing is necessary or even involved.

Has CGC ever confirmed the outer case of their slab to be sonic sealed?

Once you know the technique you can crack out slabs with your fingers with little to no damage to the case.

Actually that is my secret, use only your fingers. If it won't open with just your fingers, it is too snug and will probably crack if you use a tool of any sort. By using your fingers, it may hurt, but after awhile, just like with playing a guitar, your fingers will develop calluses.

I have had lots of practice. I can build a house out of plastic if I had saved them all.

Do you keep the good ones ? I'm sure you could probably sell them. However, after this thread, maybe it's not the right thing to do.

I throw everything out.

I know the inner wells are sonic sealed. The tracks on the outer edges/seams of the Barex sheets are the tell and is present for grip during the sonic sealing process.

The outer case however, due to the hard plastic, materials used, and design, which relies on a seated 4-post system, would more likely be bonded through heat adhesion and pressure, but I'm not sure if sonic sealing is necessary or even involved.

This is also how I assumed it worked, with only the inner wells sonically sealed

Once you know the technique you can crack out slabs with your fingers with little to no damage to the case.

Actually that is my secret, use only your fingers. If it won't open with just your fingers, it is too snug and will probably crack if you use a tool of any sort. By using your fingers, it may hurt, but after awhile, just like with playing a guitar, your fingers will develop calluses.

I have had lots of practice. I can build a house out of plastic if I had saved them all.

Do you keep the good ones ? I'm sure you could probably sell them. However, after this thread, maybe it's not the right thing to do.

I throw everything out.

Do the slabs go in the recycle bin?

I throw everything out.

Do the slabs go in the recycle bin?

I try, but most of the time they take them out not knowing what they are.

I've never had trouble recycling mine.

As far as how the outer slab is sealed, I am quite sure it's sonically sealed although I could be wrong.

Late to the thread, sorry, but how on earth did this book manage to receive a whopping 8.0 after it was inspected by three different graders?!

I glanced at it and immediately thought 4.0/4.5. This really is shocking.

Late to the thread, sorry, but how on earth did this book manage to receive a whopping 8.0 after it was inspected by three different graders?!

:doh:

What did I miss?

What did I miss?

That the book has been swapped out of its holder.

What did I miss?

We don't know that for sure do we? There is speculation the book may have been swapped out as there is a reported crack on the side of the slab.

It may just be that the simplest explanation, a typo, is the culprit and the book should actually be a 5.0.

What did I miss?

Can you bump where MCS came back later with confirmation? :wishluck: I went back through and still missed it somehow. :blush:

We have examined the book closely and don't see any evidence that the slab has been tampered with. The "Minor side edge crack" mentioned in our item listing is not evidence of tampering--it's just a tiny hairline crack about an inch below the upper right corner. Our consignment manager says she'd have to break it open to examine the inner well, but doesn't see anything off about the exterior.

Just spoke to CGC and they were very helpful. We are sending the book to CGC to review and determine what happened.