• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
45 45

6,115 posts in this topic

On 12/5/2022 at 2:35 PM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

That has to hurt. I would hate to have a piece of plastic on my shoulder and back and be unable to remove it. :)

Bats always had a chip on his shoulder.

CGC - "I may be incompetent. I may have absolutely no integrity. I may put out a very subpar product. I may be all that stuff, including just sucking at my job, but as long as people keep giving me their money, I don't give a rat's ___."

On 11/19/2022 at 12:14 AM, circuitryusa said:

My very first sub of 10 books... I was fortunate enough to get one of these special slabs.... They repaired it right away, and even made my page tear look better when they re-slabbed it by placing the white part behind the other portion... they did the right thing for me, but it was certainly confusing and frustrating to me as a first-time submitter.

image.png.108ed32f2584626231b734539ed639f7.png

FWIW, that tear still garnered a 9.6 after the ME and second review, so I am shocked about that one. I know I can't sell it for the price of a 9.6, so it'll prob stay in my PC as a reminder (I can still recall the day when I was 12 years old, I just brought that comic home, sitting on my bed, and when I opened the page to read it, it tore!!! yikes...)

What a depressing read this thread is, when you stray into it. 

I don't submit to CGC, so try to stay out of commenting here. But as a regular poster on the forum, you can't help but look at these examples from time to time, and want to say something. I do have some books that I would like to submit one day, but this thread doesn't half put you off.

@CGC Mike Mike, back in May you announced that CGC had recruited Michael Saucerman as Quality Assurance Manager. I may have missed it, but I don't recall him ever posting on this site. Stan Lee once coined the phrase "With great power, comes great responsibility". Would it be unreasonable to ask you to invite Mr Saucerman to come onto the forum and explain this one example to us and, crucially, what steps he might be taking to ensure it doesn't happen again? We can be reasonable people, and accept that mistakes happen. But this example appears to indicate a willingness to consciously do the wrong thing, i.e. reslabbing a book as a 9.6 when a pre-existing tear was noted on the return viewing, as evidenced by Circuitryusa's comment that it was tucked in to stop the white part showing. Or is he making that part up?

Either way, some general commentary from the QA Manager might be nice to see here, if indeed not the minimum one might expect, now that he has been in place for six months.

On 12/6/2022 at 6:53 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I don't submit to CGC, so try to stay out of commenting here. But as a regular poster on the forum, you can't help but look at these examples from time to time, and want to say something. I do have some books that I would like to submit one day, but this thread doesn't half put you off.

@CGC Mike Mike, back in May you announced that CGC had recruited Michael Saucerman as Quality Assurance Manager. I may have missed it, but I don't recall him ever posting on this site. Stan Lee once coined the phrase "With great power, comes great responsibility". Would it be unreasonable to ask you to invite Mr Saucerman to come onto the forum and explain this one example to us and, crucially, what steps he might be taking to ensure it doesn't happen again? We can be reasonable people, and accept that mistakes happen. But this example appears to indicate a willingness to consciously do the wrong thing, i.e. reslabbing a book as a 9.6 when a pre-existing tear was noted on the return viewing, as evidenced by Circuitryusa's comment that it was tucked in to stop the white part showing. Or is he making that part up?

Either way, some general commentary from the QA Manager might be nice to see here, if indeed not the minimum one might expect, now that he has been in place for six months.

I can’t remember the last time I’ve submitted a book, but I started buying slabs again this year after many years simply buying raw books.   It’s been endless disappointment.   Lately it’s been QC issues, but overall it’s their grading that truly disappoints.  9.2s with CB creases on both corners.  9.6s with multiple CB spine hits.  Paying a premium for these CGC grades is a fools game.  These overgraded copies just keep getting passed on to the next guy.  That “buy the book not the grade”  is the common mantra should tell you something about CGC.2c

On 12/6/2022 at 4:44 AM, Domo Arigato said:

Has this kind of garbage become so common now that everyone is just numb to it???

I didn't see any comments about this one.....so let me see if I got this straight.  

You bought this book new as a 12 year old and promptly put a 1 inch tear in the bottom of the front cover. 

Decades later, you sent it in to CGC and they proceeded to slap a 9.6 grade on it (with a f***ing huge rip on the bottom of the cover).....and then topped that off by including a huge chunk of loose plastic in the slab. 

You then returned it to CGC for a free "Mechanical Error" fix.......where they removed the loose plastic.....tucked the white portion of the huge tear back under the colored portion so it's not as visible......and then put the same 9.6 grade back on it?

WFT is wrong with them? 

The company called CGC that was started over 20 years ago is dead.  Any resemblance between them and the current company is completely coincidental.  Perhaps they should put that quote on the back of their slabs now. :facepalm:

Every comic book that I have CGC grade and every CGC comic book that I purchase is immaculately graded, encapsulated, and, from CGC, shipped, except when they are not.

My retreat to the lazy venue of sarcasm once again is because, as Domo notes, the CGC of days past has vanished into the mist of mediocrity, perhaps worse.

• Administrator
On 12/6/2022 at 6:53 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Mike Saucerman isn't going to come and post on the forum.  That's why I am here as a liaison between CGC and our customers.  Since Mike's first week with CGC, I have supplied him with examples of every kind of problem that has been posted in this thread, and any I saw elsewhere on the forum.  They were all brought up many times to the QC personnel.  Images were also placed in the work area.  I also made the trip to CGC last month to observe the process and spoke during the majority of a quality control meeting.  I found the system in place to be efficient.  With the amount of volume that goes through CGC, there is bound to be mistakes.  With that said, we are constantly striving to improve QC.  The best I can do is assist @circuitryusa with compensation for his damaged book.  

On 12/6/2022 at 8:24 AM, CGC Mike said:

With the amount of volume that goes through CGC, there is bound to be mistakes. 

Fair enough.   But the 2-week window to fix their mistakes is utter nonsense.   If CGC stood behind their product, EVERY mistake would fixed for free, regardless of who submitted the book.   If that’s too costly....

STOP MAKING MISTAKES 

Do they care at all about consumer confidence?  Last 2 books I bought have QC problems that make the books unsellable in their current state.   

But no worries, I can send them an Email & plead my case.  I’ll get that sent out tonight, and report back here with their response.:popcorn:

• Administrator
On 12/6/2022 at 8:55 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Fair enough.   But the 2-week window to fix their mistakes is utter nonsense.   If CGC stood behind their product, EVERY mistake would fixed for free, regardless of who submitted the book.

This is something I will work on with management.  No guarantees but, I will try.

• Administrator
On 12/6/2022 at 9:47 AM, skypinkblu said:

@CGC MikeIt seems it was damaged before it was graded, he said he tore it as a child. So the book was graded incorrectly, then encapsulated with the plastic. The grade was an error and it was not corrected when the plastic was removed.

Ah, I assumed it was damaged.  Thanks for the correction.

On 12/6/2022 at 10:22 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Indeed. Add to that that the OP stated that CGC "even made my page tear look better when they re-slabbed it by placing the white part behind the other portion".

If that is true:

• CGC missed the tear the first time and graded the book a 9.6
  • They then sent it out with a large, visible piece of plastic in the case
  • On return, they removed the plastic, reset the tear to look better, and then sent it out again, still as a 9.6.

I of course understand why Mike would want to protect the QA Manager from the possibility of having a difficult time here, were he to come forward with an update on his progress. But that is the guy's job, it's what he's paid for. I would've thought he would welcome the chance to communicate with us, if not directly about this case then in general to tell us what steps he had taken to improve matters since his appointment six months ago. Most of us here are adults, will cut CGC a lot of slack and show understanding of the position they are in operationally as they struggle with volumes. But avoiding responsibility and high handed communication doesn't help matters.  

I guess wanting a QC manager to come to the place all the QC issues are discussed, and acknowledge that he'll strive to work on the QC performance is asking too much.

My question would have been...since we've seen literally no improvement since he started, except for a messenger claiming he reports the problems ....is he really the right guy for the job?

On 12/6/2022 at 8:55 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Fair enough.   But the 2-week window to fix their mistakes is utter nonsense.   If CGC stood behind their product, EVERY mistake would fixed for free, regardless of who submitted the book.   If that’s too costly....

STOP MAKING MISTAKES 

Do they care at all about consumer confidence?  Last 2 books I bought have QC problems that make the books unsellable in their current state.   

But no worries, I can send them an Email & plead my case.  I’ll get that sent out tonight, and report back here with their response.:popcorn:

Two weeks to fix THEIR mistake?
Check out this thread...CGC isn't even opening up the clearly marked ME boxes within two weeks...
My current ME submission took 12 business days to move from delivered to SFG.
It has now been at SFG for 11 business days.
Meaning, my book that CGC's quality control failed has been back with them for 23 business days.
Facts.