• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
45 45

6,068 posts in this topic

On 12/6/2022 at 6:47 AM, skypinkblu said:

@CGC MikeIt seems it was damaged before it was graded, he said he tore it as a child. So the book was graded incorrectly, then encapsulated with the plastic. The grade was an error and it was not corrected when the plastic was removed.

Sorry for my delays in replying, and not trying to re-ignite this fire but I couldn't let some folks questions go unanswered.

Correct, this is not damage (the rip) done by CGC, but by me. The 9.6 was also a shocker to me even as my first sub. I pegged it as a 9.0 max.

To help clarify some of the other comments, yes, the ME resub came back looking better due to a re-ordering of the ripped paper as shown below.

Left is before ME, Right is after ME to remove the debris (got a bonus small newton ring too when it came back):

image.thumb.png.9d8e7ebf5d82ee371b0a1fcee21c7147.png

(It should also be noted this original sub was in October last year (2021) when they first "experimented" with the faster grading process. They sent out an email in November '21 apologizing for some folks getting books super fast, since it was random, and I was one of the random selections that had my sub done in 3-days when others (including some of my own) were still sitting for the eventual months and months. The ME was in Nov'21. Maybe this is an example to learn from, who knows? 

As also earlier stated, this is PC:NFS so I'm not bothering having it adjusted down. For each "surprise" in the positive direction I've received, I've had about 50x as many surprises in the negative. Still working with customer service for my 3-book swap. I guess the "verification team" is backed up :facepalm:

But, for all the issues in the production side of things, the Customer Service team members are really awesome. Crystal, Kailee, Dean... all of them have been terrific and they really do try hard. They are in a tough job!!!

One final point, I am not renewing my Elite membership unfortunaly with too many risks I've dealt with. I had a burst of energy to submit 496 comics this past year, but I'm taking a much needed breather from this since about 25-30% of them were just not to my expectations overall. I'll drop down to Associate this year and wait and see where everything else ends up.... the competition too...

... I bet I'm not alone ... (shrug)

Edited by circuitryusa

• Administrator
On 12/8/2022 at 2:19 PM, ophidia31 said:

Cracked/Damaged Holders* 

If it was possibly done in shipping/slipped through in the shipping dept or has that just changed in the past month? Had a cracked holder come in and contacted customer service and they had me resub with a mechanical error  no charge. 

The cracked/damaged holders I listed applies to "books in the wild".  In other words, if someone purchased a book on ebay and the holder was cracked or damaged, we will not fix it for free.  Getting a submission back from CGC with a damaged holder is another matter, and should be handled the way you did.  (contact customer service)

On 12/8/2022 at 11:47 AM, CGC Mike said:

So, I have been speaking with management about the 2 week window for ME's.  I do have some good news.  This pertains to all books.  You do not have to be the submitter, and there is no time limit.  You can fill out a submission form with the Mechanical Error option.  A prepaid shipping label will automatically be sent to you.  (Non US customers will have to contact customer service for the shipping label)  We will fix books listed below for free in the "Fix for no charge" column.  

FIX NO CHARGE:

Wrong label information

Book inserted wrong

Book pinched between inner well seal

Debris inside holder

REHOLDER/REPAIR FEE:

Holder scratches

Cracked/damaged holders

Damaged books

What about books you paid for pressing and they come back with pressable defects?

On 12/8/2022 at 12:47 PM, CGC Mike said:

So, I have been speaking with management about the 2 week window for ME's.  I do have some good news.  This pertains to all books.  You do not have to be the submitter, and there is no time limit.  You can fill out a submission form with the Mechanical Error option.  A prepaid shipping label will automatically be sent to you.  (Non US customers will have to contact customer service for the shipping label)  We will fix books listed below for free in the "Fix for no charge" column.  

FIX NO CHARGE:

Wrong label information

Book inserted wrong

Debris inside holder

REHOLDER/REPAIR FEE:

Holder scratches

Cracked/damaged holders

Damaged books

Well, that's nice.  I wonder if there's way to submit a picture of the book ahead of time to make sure that it qualifies for this?  Like, I imagine different people are going to have different standards as to what constitutes an unacceptable "scratch."  

Edit: ah, I see scratches are still a charge, which makes sense.  My questions would be more about the "debris" I guess.  Got a book with a small amount of debris in the case at the bottom which does not obstruct the cover, but still bugs me a little.

Edited by Axelrod

On 12/8/2022 at 9:47 AM, CGC Mike said:

FIX NO CHARGE:

Wrong label information

Book inserted wrong

Debris inside holder

REHOLDER/REPAIR FEE:

Holder scratches

Cracked/damaged holders

Damaged books

Great news, thank you for helping to make this happen.

Out of curiosity, where do newton rings fall in this!

• Administrator
On 12/8/2022 at 10:14 PM, Axelrod said:

Well, that's nice.  I wonder if there's way to submit a picture of the book ahead of time to make sure that it qualifies for this?  Like, I imagine different people are going to have different standards as to what constitutes an unacceptable "scratch."  

Edit: ah, I see scratches are still a charge, which makes sense.  My questions would be more about the "debris" I guess.  Got a book with a small amount of debris in the case at the bottom which does not obstruct the cover, but still bugs me a little.

Debris in case is now a no charge situation.  Just be specific as to what the problem is to ensure it gets fixed.

• Administrator
On 12/8/2022 at 10:16 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Hey @CGC Mike :hi:

As a Canadian, my 1st step is just to call CS?  I tried the online ME submission forms thinking I could at least get them entered into the system, but get stalled at the US only return shipping option.

Yes.  Unfortunately, our system currently isn't able to generate prepaid shipping labels for our non US customers.  If you have a book that fits in the fix for free list, simply contact customer service for the label.  They have been sent this list so, are aware of the change in policy.  

• Administrator
On 12/9/2022 at 2:35 AM, Tnexus said:

Great news, thank you for helping to make this happen.

Out of curiosity, where do newton rings fall in this!

Currently, books with newton rings are still handled on a case by case basis.  So, you would have to send pics to submissions@cgccomics.com

On 12/9/2022 at 9:14 AM, Gary Strange said:

@CGC Mike, can you make sure QC knows about how this book was packaged on top of the stack in the box??

Definitely not the way to ship comics, and I feel bad he has to now go through the hassle of sending back to CGC, waiting to fix, and then shipping it back.

Though some of my empathy goes away due to the 7 min video for a 1 min problem, complete with "I'M SO MAD" thumbnail.

On 12/9/2022 at 10:44 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

:facepalm:

As I noted in a previous post, I received "one of those" about two years ago and CGC re-holdered it for me as an ME.

On 12/9/2022 at 11:03 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m about to do my very 1st ME submission :wishluck:

Hopefully it will go as well as mine did. Thankfully despite the bottom of the slab breaking and falling off, the comic book was not damaged and retained its 9.8 grade.

On 12/9/2022 at 9:51 AM, manetteska said:

Definitely not the way to ship comics, and I feel bad he has to now go through the hassle of sending back to CGC, waiting to fix, and then shipping it back.

Though some of my empathy goes away due to the 7 min video for a 1 min problem, complete with "I'M SO MAD" thumbnail.

Dave is in it for views, but the problem is real and needs to be addressed