• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
45 45

6,068 posts in this topic

https://boards.cgccomics.com/profile/104376-cgc-mike/ @CGC Mike Not sure if I added the link to Mike correctly.

I just received Thor #127 back from CGC: Grade 7.0. The grader's note indicate (1) Light cover tanning (2) Light creasing to cover (3) Moderate spine stress lines to cover (4) Moderate staining to cover

Here are the items I found: (5) Pulled staples (6) Ripped back page (7) Stain, indent, and wear on back cover

Please advise on how to proceed.

Thor 127 Front Cover.jpg

Thor 127 Pages Out Front.jpg

Thor 127 Pages Out.jpg

Thor 127 Top Staple.jpg

Thor 127 Bottom Staple.jpg

Thor 127 Back Cover.jpg

Thor 127 Back Cover Tear.jpg

Thor 127 Back Cover Stain Wear.jpg

Edited by Upgrayedd2
Added CGC Mike

On 12/13/2022 at 10:19 PM, Upgrayedd2 said:

https://boards.cgccomics.com/profile/104376-cgc-mike/ @CGC Mike Not sure if I added the link to Mike correctly.

I just received Thor #127 back from CGC: Grade 7.0. The grader's note indicate (1) Light cover tanning (2) Light creasing to cover (3) Moderate spine stress lines to cover (4) Moderate staining to cover

Here are the items I found: (5) Pulled staples (6) Ripped back page (7) Stain, indent, and wear on back cover

Thor 127 Front Cover.jpg

Thor 127 Pages Out Front.jpg

Thor 127 Pages Out.jpg

Thor 127 Top Staple.jpg

Thor 127 Bottom Staple.jpg

Thor 127 Back Cover.jpg

Thor 127 Back Cover Tear.jpg

Thor 127 Back Cover Stain Wear.jpg

Do you have pre-submission pics?:wishluck:

• Administrator
On 12/13/2022 at 10:19 PM, Upgrayedd2 said:

I will send you a PM.

On 12/9/2022 at 4:46 AM, CGC Mike said:

Currently, books with newton rings are still handled on a case by case basis.  So, you would have to send pics to submissions@cgccomics.com

Hi Mike,

Question for you. I was getting ready to resubmit 2 Newton ring comics when I realized I have two others I'd like to submit. One has what appears be a pen mark and the other has what looks to be a sharpy mark on the covers. Being 9.8 and 9.6 respectively which means that that had to have come from CGC. Now both marks could be something that is not actually pen/sharpy, but something removable and stuck on the cover which is what I'm hoping. My question is what happens if they reslab as a ME and they get a grade ding from something that had to have occurred during the original slabbing? I'm the original owner of both, but both were submitted from a dealer account that's been well over 2 weeks ago.

• Administrator
On 12/14/2022 at 2:02 PM, Tnexus said:

My question is what happens if they reslab as a ME and they get a grade ding from something that had to have occurred during the original slabbing?

First of all, I am assuming you spoke with customer service about the ME for the newton ring books, and are looking to include these other 2 books as a ME with possible debris in case?  I recommend sending them pics of the 2 books in the ongoing e-mail, due to the uncertainty of debris or pen and sharpie marks.

Anyhow, as far as the actual question, if it is determined that we damaged a book or books, usually there is some compensation made.  

On 12/13/2022 at 5:16 AM, wardevil0 said:

Yeah, the "triangle numbers" basically gave you the reading order for each calendar year for Action Comics, Superman, The Man of Steel, and other Superman-centric issues.  That's also why there's a "1998" in addition to the "Feb 98" release date.  Pretty good idea and lasted for several years, but took a lot of editorial oversight.

I had a real genius back in 1993 warning me that a Superman 75 (non-bagged edition) that I found on the shelf was a 2nd printing because of the little triangle on the cover with a 2 in it.  (Superman 75 just happened to be #2 in reading order for 1993.)  I tried explaining to him what that box actually was and that a 2nd printing would have a little roman numeral "II" in the price box, but he was way too smart to listen to me and condescendingly told me how wrong I was and that he would never buy it. (shrug)

On 12/15/2022 at 3:10 PM, workingdog said:

Boy, I'd sure like to know how what I put on the packing slip:

image.png.098c57e43444b99c2d4781b12738aee4.png

Turns into this in Submission Tracking:

image.png.fe98d778f21c341730bf78e7e2f3902f.png

This will be “corrected “ after grading is what support told me for my Todd signing. Well, that didn’t happen, so it’s on it’s way to me with the wrong label just to be sent right back for a M.E.

On 12/15/2022 at 4:50 PM, ak47po said:

This will be “corrected “ after grading is what support told me for my Todd signing. Well, that didn’t happen, so it’s on it’s way to me with the wrong label just to be sent right back for a M.E.

Yep. Many people are experiencing this and tell that MattCS guy in 'Ask CGC'. He responds with his favorite statement ... "Rest assured..."   And then it doesn't get corrected.

On 12/15/2022 at 3:50 PM, ak47po said:

Sorry to hear.  Just recently, I sent in a slab to be reholdered because it was mislabeled.  I was told by customer service I couldn't send it back in as an M.E. because I didn't send in the book myself.  I purchased it from a dealer.  So as I'm sure you can guess, the 'reholder' still came back mislabeled even though I had written on the packing slip as well as the slab what was wrong. 

So NOW I was allowed to send it back as an M.E. :censored:

• Administrator
On 12/15/2022 at 3:10 PM, workingdog said:

Boy, I'd sure like to know how what I put on the packing slip:

image.png.098c57e43444b99c2d4781b12738aee4.png

Turns into this in Submission Tracking:

image.png.fe98d778f21c341730bf78e7e2f3902f.png

Let me contact customer service and make sure the changes are made.  I'm hoping it isn't too late.

On 12/15/2022 at 7:28 PM, CGC Mike said:

Let me contact customer service and make sure the changes are made.  I'm hoping it isn't too late.

Thank you, Mike.  But I just checked the submission in question and all slots are now properly labeled.  Thank you for trying to help (thumbsu

• Administrator
On 12/15/2022 at 8:37 PM, workingdog said:

Thank you, Mike.  But I just checked the submission in question and all slots are now properly labeled.  Thank you for trying to help (thumbsu

No problem.  I only e-mailed 4 people in customer service, as the first person I sent it to is out until Tuesday.  It'll be a test to see if they let me know the info was corrected.  :wink: