• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
45 45

6,115 posts in this topic

I just got results in for my latest shipment of moderns and all three books that I clearly marked as Canadian Price Variants in my submission form were changed to News stands. The box is still at CGC waiting for pickup by FedEx tomorrow, but that is an automatic minimum of three books for ME once they get back to me. Mistakes happen and I don't sweat that stuff but, honestly, I shake my head a bit at how the exact same mistake was made for three books in a row in the same shipment.

• Administrator
On 3/21/2023 at 7:44 PM, Stefan_W said:

I just got results in for my latest shipment of moderns and all three books that I clearly marked as Canadian Price Variants in my submission form were changed to News stands. The box is still at CGC waiting for pickup by FedEx tomorrow, but that is an automatic minimum of three books for ME once they get back to me. Mistakes happen and I don't sweat that stuff but, honestly, I shake my head a bit at how the exact same mistake was made for three books in a row in the same shipment.

If you send me the submission number, maybe I can get someone to grab the package before it ships, and get this corrected.

On 3/21/2023 at 8:51 PM, CGC Mike said:

If you send me the submission number, maybe I can get someone to grab the package before it ships, and get this corrected.

Will do, PM sent.

I appreciate the effort since sending them to me and then sending them back as ME is pure wastage considering I already know of the issue with these books. I hope they can be pulled in time :) 

Edited by Stefan_W

I recently received back 2 orders from CGC and 11 of the 14 books need to be returned because the holder is moving around on the inside of the slab.  I have had this happen on my last 5 orders and this seems to be a regular problem.  Frustrating that this seems to be a part of the regular process now.

@CGC Mike Hoping you can get me some clarification on what's covered for a ME submission with the new rules. I feel like I'm getting a runaround with CS. I have a book that has a mark on it that kinda looks like it's from pen. It's graded 9.8 so there's no way this went through grading with it on there. This book was graded the end of last year. Customer service denied my request for a ME on it saying it's beyond the 14 day window, and I'm also not the original submitter as it was submitted through my presser. They did however, in the same email grant approval to a different book that was also submitted through the same presser from over 2 years ago for debris. Coincidentally that book's debris could also be a pen mark, though hopefully just a small fleck of something black. If the denied book is not pen mark, then it's clearly debris and should be covered, but if it is pen mark, then that's way worse than debris, right? Shouldn't this be covered too? It's a $600 book in 9.8, so it's not a cheap book.

PXL_20230315_040406609.thumb.jpg.c3f4048b003365c28de7f99d3fb67246.jpg

Edited by Tnexus

• Administrator
On 3/23/2023 at 11:15 PM, Tnexus said:

@CGC Mike Hoping you can get me some clarification on what's covered for a ME submission with the new rules. I feel like I'm getting a runaround with CS. I have a book that has a mark on it that kinda looks like it's from pen. It's graded 9.8 so there's no way this went through grading with it on there. This book was graded the end of last year. Customer service denied my request for a ME on it saying it's beyond the 14 day window, and I'm also not the original submitter as it was submitted through my presser. They did however, in the same email grant approval to a different book that was also submitted through the same presser from over 2 years ago for debris. Coincidentally that book's debris could also be a pen mark, though hopefully just a small fleck of something black. If the denied book is not pen mark, then it's clearly debris and should be covered, but if it is pen mark, then that's way worse than debris, right? Shouldn't this be covered too? It's a $600 book in 9.8, so it's not a cheap book.

Let me ask the team.  

• Administrator
On 3/23/2023 at 11:15 PM, Tnexus said:

The team has told me that it looks like printing or some kind of distribution mark. I don’t think it’s debris or anything would lower the grade. Should be fine for 9.8. 

On 3/24/2023 at 4:56 AM, Gaard said:

I'm pretty sure that I was told (2 weeks ago in this thread) that debris is no longer covered. So confusing.

Debris is covered.  Would be ridiculous to deny an ME for debris in the holder.   CGC is definitely trying to pull back what they’ll cover though.  That CGC won’t stand behind their product 100% is just sad. 

On 3/24/2023 at 1:54 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Debris is covered.  Would be ridiculous to deny an ME for debris in the holder.   CGC is definitely trying to pull back what they’ll cover though.  That CGC won’t stand behind their product 100% is just sad. 

I agree it's ridiculous. But, unless I'm reading it wrong, that's exactly what they're doing. Read the posts by Mike from a couple of weeks ago. (it wouldn't surprise me at all if I'm not understanding correctly)

On 3/24/2023 at 12:54 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

You have to agree that it makes sense, though.

Instead of putting in the effort to actually cut back on all of the mistakes being made......it makes better financial sense for them to simply stop covering half of the mistakes they do make.

On 3/24/2023 at 7:08 PM, Domo Arigato said:

You have to agree that it makes sense, though.

Instead of putting in the effort to actually cut back on all of the mistakes being made......it makes better financial sense for them to simply stop covering half of the mistakes they do make.

It’s genius in its simplicity 

I am not the original submitter of this book as it was submitted through a local comic store. These Canadian Editions of Planet Comics are very hard to come by so I am disappointed by this and do not know if sending the book back in will help because now the book is definitely not a 5.0, and I am also not sure the encapsulation process will keep the parts in place properly or just rip them further. Seems the encapsulation process is rather violent, likely similar to a vacuum forming type of mechanisation?

The book had a bent bottom right corner, and a small tear at the top left. Now the bottom corner is torn off and sits in the inner well and the top left of the book has been torn off and is stuck inside between the plastic of the front and back of the inner well.

It is also one of the oldest comics ever encapsulated since according to the label it is from 1900.

I have had the book awhile now, but everytime I look at it it really bothers me. 

@CGC Mike Any suggestions?

20230324_195228.jpg.c12d123e972e6475db5d22b42f4b4b99.jpg

20230324_195235.jpg.06ec9d6dbb9c727a7162a4dd648c438c.jpg

20230324_195257.jpg.4cf0d83353153e358465bfaabe476c3d.jpg

Edited by Artboy99

• Administrator
On 3/24/2023 at 10:12 PM, Artboy99 said:

I am not the original submitter of this book as it was submitted through a local comic store. These Canadian Editions of Planet Comics are very hard to come by so I am disappointed by this and do not know if sending the book back in will help because now the book is definitely not a 5.0, and I am also not sure the encapsulation process will keep the parts in place properly or just rip them further. Seems the encapsulation process is rather violent, likely similar to a vacuum forming type of mechanisation?

The book had a bent bottom right corner, and a small tear at the top left. Now the bottom corner is torn off and sits in the inner well and the top left of the book has been torn off and is stuck inside between the plastic of the front and back of the inner well.

It is also one of the oldest comics ever encapsulated since according to the label it is from 1900.

I have had the book awhile now, but everytime I look at it it really bothers me. 

@CGC Mike Any suggestions?

20230324_195228.jpg.c12d123e972e6475db5d22b42f4b4b99.jpg

20230324_195235.jpg.06ec9d6dbb9c727a7162a4dd648c438c.jpg

20230324_195257.jpg.4cf0d83353153e358465bfaabe476c3d.jpg

Let me ask the team and get back to you.