• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,124 posts in this topic

On 3/27/2023 at 9:08 PM, joeypost said:

I could see the 14 days on cracked slabs but ones with debris in them should have no expiration date. It’s not like you can open the slab and insert plastic shards into the inner well. 

Bingo... Read my reply above....it puts the onus on someone like you as a sub service for customers having to deal with CGC and an unhappy customer after the fact...

Edited by KryptoSpidey

On 3/27/2023 at 7:41 PM, CGC Mike said:

There's a 14 day window, and the person has to be the submitter.  We will fix wrong label info anytime.  (the person doesn't have to be the submitter)

Thank you.

I could see the 14 days on cracked slabs but ones with debris in them should have no expiration date. It’s not like you can open the slab and insert plastic shards into the inner well. 

Yep, only reason for not MEing slabs with debris...

:flipbait:

So I have been holding back about posting this problem. I have been sending books back due to regular stuff for a while, newton rings, scratches, debris etc... But recently, starting back in Dec/Jan, I have been getting Mechanical Error books back with damaged spines. In my eyes, they would no longer be a 9.8. I do sell some of these, and I don't feel I can sell a books one or more color-breaking spine stress as a 9.8. I have contacted Customer Service and they have been very helpful. They have requested me to send the back for a free press and recess...One set I sent back returned in the same condition and Customer Service said oops, it didn't get pressed according to their records. 

Recently I received two books that were 9.9s, but these didn't;t have mechanical errors, they had big spine bends. One is a foil cover, so that can be smoothed out some, but the other is of cardstock and that one is about 3/4' in length. There is no way that can ever be a 9.9 again, let alone a 9.8. I have at least 10 books that are being ruined by someone at CGC, either a grader who is mishandling them afterwards, or more likely, a person in the casing department that has not been trained to handle books by their spines. 

Again Customer SErvice has been very helpful, but it seems they are doing their best to keep it from escalating and keep directing me to return for press/casing. It may not seem like much, but when they were sent in they were close to perfect, 9.8s no stress etc. But some when they arrived to me, would not pass a grader as a 9.8.

The photos are just some of the ones I have received. The first one was where the whole situation started back in June of last year. With the slowdown, it took a while to get it back. It too get sent back for a 'press' and recase and was never pressed. The last two photos are 9.9s. Many of the flaws really show on the dark colored spines. Some were horribly difficult to get in without the 'added stress' they now have!!

I thought I would elevate this to the public forum as nobody seems to be taking me seriously when I keep telling them, someone in casing is costing them money. 

It's getting to the point where I am questioning if I should send the books back for mechanical errors anymore, and that I am being punched for doing so to begin with.

IMG_1107.jpeg

IMG_1094.jpeg

IMG_1044.jpeg

IMG_1043.jpeg

IMG_0743.jpeg

IMG_1061.jpeg

Edited by Robert_L

On 3/27/2023 at 9:01 PM, KryptoSpidey said:

SO...explain how that works, when someone submits through a local comic shop...pressing service...etc...and THEY get the book back 3 weeks later or a month after being subbed..yet THEY are the original submitter...using a facilitator...and THEY'RE like WOHHHH...shards in my slab.... and YOUR 14 day window has expired...and  since you say WE, as in YOU are part of the process...so YOU EXPLAIN that please MIKE

I'm pretty harsh on CGC, but this is so bad, I'm inclined to think there must've been some kind of miscommunication somewhere. Even CGC can't be this slimy. Or can they?

That was my thought as well. I mean, I can understand limiting the time period for a cracked case or other scenarios where the damage could have easily been caused by someone's (not CGC's) carelessness, but something inside the casr that shouldn't be there is clearly CGC's error.

On 3/29/2023 at 4:45 PM, Gaard said:

I don't get it. Debris, upside down books, etc. etc, . It's like CGC is saying, "Sorry. It's been over 14 days so we're not going to fix our screw-up. Sucks to be you!"

Well you could dispute charges or stop payment on the check.

You just wouldn't be able to submit books(etc) to them anymore. 

Unless enough people did this all at the same time, as a coordinated dispute over their lack of services provided, and they were forced to change their policies.  (Extremely unlikely)

Are Economy books being graded in the parking garage.... ? Takes forever to get them back and a number need returning because of contaminates in the form of dark spots under the front. Unfortunately the spots are difficult to capture on film so no pics available.   Got a box of 25 heading home. Hope they are trouble free. Tired of this back and forth routine. Wish me luck.

Edited by jokiing

I don't get it. Debris, upside down books, etc. etc, . It's like CGC is saying, "Sorry. It's been over 14 days so we're not going to fix our screw-up. Sucks to be you!"

Based on increasing QA QC concerns the normal 14 day TAT for ME currently stands at 123 business days  :sumo:

Edited by oldmilwaukee6er

PGX use to be bashed on these boards all the time, and for good reason. People said the guy worked out of a garage at times, couldn't grade, etc, etc.  Maybe CGC is outsourcing to them. All joking aside, and I've said this many times. Whoever is responsible for at least, this upside down, wrong label nonsense, should be shown the door.

I am very eager to submit my next batch of comic books and magazines, hopefully sometime this month or May, and have them returned to me. :eyeroll: