• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,124 posts in this topic

On 5/31/2023 at 3:09 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Pretty sure those are the internal labels they stick on individual bags. When you get a reject from a pre-screen, they have a similar label attached to the bag.

Well. Hopefully they aren't stuck to the book....

On 5/31/2023 at 3:13 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

The person who posted said they were up against the book, but they still have the backing strip on it, so it doesn't look like they're stuck to the book.

On a black book like that, its cringy

On 5/31/2023 at 2:11 PM, Poutine said:

Well. Hopefully they aren't stuck to the book....

On 5/31/2023 at 2:13 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

The person who posted said they were up against the book, but they still have the backing strip on it, so it doesn't look like they're stuck to the book.

If you look at the very top sticker, the edge is totally sticking to the book

On 5/25/2023 at 6:50 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

I get it man.  The way you feel about this is how I feel about sports! lol

I have always believed 2nd place is the first loser.

When my Eagles lost the SB to the Chiefs.  I said Eagles failed and accomplished nothing.

0-16 is the same to me as losing the SB!

You need to pray more before each game - 

Our Eagles,
who art in Philly,
hallowed be thy game;
when kickoff comes,
thy game is won
at the Linc or the other team’s stadium.
Give us this Sunday our weekly win
and forgive us our turnovers,
as we forgive those who trespass against the line of scrimmage;
and lead us into the end zone,
but deliver us from interceptions.

(maybe it could use a little work....)

Go Birds!

On 5/31/2023 at 7:55 PM, wombat said:

And there it is. Definitive proof that CGC is not looking at every book. Glad we could put that to rest. 

Mike said that they looked at both the front and back for the hours he was watching them. Could they have been told, "Hey, this guy from the boards is coming to observe you. Do everything right. In other words, not the way you usually do things."?

On 6/1/2023 at 4:57 AM, Gaard said:

Mike said that they looked at both the front and back for the hours he was watching them. Could they have been told, "Hey, this guy from the boards is coming to observe you. Do everything right. In other words, not the way you usually do things."?

Perhaps:

Time-enough-at-last GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Here is the story of the two slabs in the attached photos:

I sent in a reholder submission that included these two - both had scuffing on the back. The reholder was done, and when I checked out the books the same scuffing was there but a bit worse. I phoned CGC and asked whether they change the plastic sleeve on the inside or just change out the case, and the rep assured me that both are changed during a reholder. Fine, I explained what I saw and sent these two back as an ME. While they were sitting in SFG, CGC changed their ME policy so I figured there may be an issue if it is not fixed this time around. I just got the two books back, and when I checked them out - surprise surprise, the exact same issue. It seems unlikely that I would have the exact same issue in the same spots three times in a row so I am guess just the holder was swapped, and this did nothing to fix the book. 

I am a bit annoyed but willing to wait and see what CGC does about it. I paid for the books to be fixed, but if the process will in no way, shape, or form fix the issue with the slabs then I paid for nothing. I get that CGC may not want to cut into the inner sleeve for fear of causing damage to the books leading to a grade reduction. But why take books back that will not be fixed? Plus with the new policy changes I am not even sure what to do about this now. 

Anyway, pics below. Excuse the glare it is really tough to take good pics of this type of issue.

1.jpg

2.jpg

On 6/1/2023 at 12:18 PM, Stefan_W said:

Here is the story of the two slabs in the attached photos:

I sent in a reholder submission that included these two - both had scuffing on the back. The reholder was done, and when I checked out the books the same scuffing was there but a bit worse. I phoned CGC and asked whether they change the plastic sleeve on the inside or just change out the case, and the rep assured me that both are changed during a reholder. Fine, I explained what I saw and sent these two back as an ME. While they were sitting in SFG, CGC changed their ME policy so I figured there may be an issue if it is not fixed this time around. I just got the two books back, and when I checked them out - surprise surprise, the exact same issue. It seems unlikely that I would have the exact same issue in the same spots three times in a row so I am guess just the holder was swapped, and this did nothing to fix the book. 

I am a bit annoyed but willing to wait and see what CGC does about it. I paid for the books to be fixed, but if the process will in no way, shape, or form fix the issue with the slabs then I paid for nothing. I get that CGC may not want to cut into the inner sleeve for fear of causing damage to the books leading to a grade reduction. But why take books back that will not be fixed? Plus with the new policy changes I am not even sure what to do about this now. 

Anyway, pics below. Excuse the glare it is really tough to take good pics of this type of issue.

Actually @Stefan_W, I think you captured the scuffing quite well.  The new policy states that Newton Rings are no longer an allowed Mechanical Error, and these are clearly not Newton Rings.  So CGC should accept this as an ME.

I'd try to take pictures of the other slab similar to this one.  If you send them off as an ME, and they come back with the spots in exactly the same places, you may be able to get CGC Mike to intervene.  But you should be prepared to prove that the spots are in the same places before and after.  Good Luck!

On 5/31/2023 at 3:57 PM, Iceman399 said:

Screenshot_20230531_165705_Facebook.jpg

CGC… beyond repute??  People can pay tens of thousands of dollars for a grade bump from this company.

This is ABSOLUTE proof CGC does not do QC… at all!

Edited by Iconic1s

On 6/1/2023 at 5:35 PM, Iconic1s said:

CGC… beyond repute??  People can pay tens of thousands of dollars for a grade bump from this company.

This is ABSOLUTE proof CGC does not do QC… at all!

No it's not.  It's proof that this particular book didn't go through QC.  Comic book people and hyperbole...name a more iconic duo.