• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
45 45

6,115 posts in this topic

On 11/7/2021 at 2:43 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

my Last Ronin's arrive home tomorrow :wishluck: 

About time!  I noticed 2 different types of inner wells used for these books...form fit and extra large w side guards. 

My tip for all you guys and gals...look at all your books right away!  You only have 14 days once you receive your books to have something done about it...per the CGC agreement.

On 11/2/2021 at 5:57 PM, Galen130 said:

Okay, gang.  My 20 Modern slabs arrived today...just shy of seven months since CGC received them.  For the good news...no damage to the shipping box, no broken pieces in the slabs, all labels appear to be correct (nothing missing), and overall the books/slabs look clean.  Most of them have a few small spots of Newton Rings (not a biggie to me) and some of the slabs have cosmetic and small scratches and/or scuffs, which could be on the inside.  They are very small...I'm not worried about them.

Now the bad news.  Right now, I'm trying to clarify a potential problem with each slab.  I'm working with my pressing guy as we speak...see what he thinks.  First, nineteen comics came back 9.8, one a 9.6 (I agree with it).  Very pleased, except one of the 9.8's was a gift (1st two pics).  I sent it in knowing it had an ink-breaking spine tick (not pressed).  Never had this happen before.  There are a couple small ticks that don't break color.  I don't recall those being there, but it wasn't pressed.

Another 9.8 arrived with a finger bend on the front, near the bottom (pressed)(pics 3 to 5).  I'm pretty sure this happened at CGC.  This will have to be remedied.

The big potential problem I see on each slab is what appears to be a crack/fracture either on one side of the slab or the other...or both (pics 6 to 8).  Some are very light, some not so much.  They aren't in the same spot on every comic, but they are limited to the bottom half of the slab.  These aren't sonic welds, I believe, and they don't look right.  Whatever they are, I've never seen this before.  I even looked at slabs I received last year and didn't really notice anything.  Of course, the last batch of slabs I got back from CGC was over a year ago.  Who knows.  Now, I just have to figure out what to do with all these slabs with the odd looking 'crack'.  I have no more comics at CGC...this is my last batch.  I won't have another stressful shipment. :facepalm:

20211102_171443.jpg

20211102_171455.jpg

20211102_171658.jpg

20211102_171800.jpg

20211102_171829.jpg

20211102_171343.jpg

20211102_171403.jpg

20211102_171421.jpg

Well, CGC has accepted mine and my presser’s request to send back my slabs for reholder.  I’m returning all 20.  Let’s hope they agree with my assessments for all of them.  The over-graded Spider-Man has a cracked case, so I’m expecting a grade-down.(shrug)

On 11/8/2021 at 1:29 PM, Galen130 said:

Well, CGC has accepted mine and my presser’s request to send back my slabs for reholder.  I’m returning all 20.  Let’s hope they agree with my assessments for all of them.  The over-graded Spider-Man has a cracked case, so I’m expecting a grade-down.(shrug)

Sucks that you had to wait all that time to just send them back. What a joke CGC. Reason #100 why I won’t be sending anything in for awhile. Anyway keep us posted on the condition of the slabs when they come back June :(

On 11/8/2021 at 12:57 PM, sevans1979 said:

Sucks that you had to wait all that time to just send them back. What a joke CGC. Reason #100 why I won’t be sending anything in for awhile. Anyway keep us posted on the condition of the slabs when they come back June :(

From what I've seen posted on the boards this past year, reholders seem to be accomplished AND shipped a lot quicker.  We'll see what happens...:wishluck:

Edited by Galen130

On 11/8/2021 at 2:06 PM, Galen130 said:

From what I've seen posted on the boards this past year, reholders seem to be accomplished AND shipped a lot quicker.  We'll see what happens...:wishluck:

Yes, Yes they are. Glad it is going "easy", but still a shame and I'm still awaiting my Last Ronin and/or mags to be delivered today! :banana: Hoping for no extra shards :tonofbricks:

pun intended :roflmao: 

Oh and a Heads-Up!!

All the mechanical errors I've had, when they've shipped, I've had to call to get tracking :( 

as the hyperlink wasn't there on any of the ME's :foryou: 

On 11/8/2021 at 1:09 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Yes, Yes they are. Glad it is going "easy", but still a shame and I'm still awaiting my Last Ronin and/or mags to be delivered today! :banana: Hoping for no extra shards :tonofbricks:

pun intended :roflmao: 

Oh and a Heads-Up!!

All the mechanical errors I've had, when they've shipped, I've had to call to get tracking :( 

as the hyperlink wasn't there on any of the ME's :foryou: 

Thanks for the heads up. (worship)

On 11/8/2021 at 2:29 PM, Galen130 said:

This is good news ... I think.

" Let’s hope they agree with my assessments for all of them."  Are you saying that they still have to agree that they're bad enough to reholder?

On 11/8/2021 at 2:21 PM, Gaard said:

This is good news ... I think.

" Let’s hope they agree with my assessments for all of them."  Are you saying that they still have to agree that they're bad enough to reholder?

No, that they agree it was their fault.  The cracks in each slab didn't come from shipping.  Their shipping box is in great shape.  The fractures are from too much pressure being applied when they were put together...in my opinion.  The comic slabbed with a finger bend was pressed BEFORE they received it.  I'm certain they did that as well.  I'd be willing to argue my case, but that would be a whole different can of worms. :1711304654_arguingemoji: :860033678_canofwormsemoji:

On 11/8/2021 at 4:25 PM, Galen130 said:

No, that they agree it was their fault.  The cracks in each slab didn't come from shipping.  Their shipping box is in great shape.  The fractures are from too much pressure being applied when they were put together...in my opinion.  The comic slabbed with a finger bend was pressed BEFORE they received it.  I'm certain they did that as well.  I'd be willing to argue my case, but that would be a whole different can of worms. :1711304654_arguingemoji: :860033678_canofwormsemoji:

Cool. So, regardless of whether or not they take any responsibility to your damaged slabs, they're still going to reholder them?

On 11/8/2021 at 2:28 PM, Gaard said:

Cool. So, regardless of whether or not they take any responsibility to your damaged slabs, they're still going to reholder them?

Yup.  My pressing guy forwarded to me the email he got from them, stating that they'd accept them for reholder.  He explained to them exactly what I told him.  CGC even mentioned to make a note of the over-graded slab and they'd fix it.  It's probably a moot point on that because THAT case is fractured too and needs to be replaced.  They may spot their grading mistake and fix it automatically. lol  I don't know about the comic with the finger bend on the front cover.  I'll be making note of that as well.  I KNOW for a fact that happened at CGC because that was one of the comics my guy ended up pressing.

On 11/4/2021 at 2:55 PM, FrankTheTank92 said:

Really disappointed with how CGC handled my book, excessive in my opinion. It obviously happened while it was being put in the slab. Should I reach out to customer service or will they not care?

D7C82941-756E-4EAA-B1A0-50CC6409884A.jpeg

405EB62C-14D8-4A18-A0D4-A88BDFD64415.jpeg

CADF12F2-36A4-4DA7-A068-093BECF7A3D0.jpeg

Regardless of wether they SHOULD have slabbed it - fact is, they did.

I hope you are pushing for compensation for the damage. CGC could have said 'sorry no' - but they went ahead, so it's on them.