• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,124 posts in this topic

On 11/30/2021 at 7:09 PM, wombat said:

Look what I found:

CGC damaged my 2 valuable comic books that were worth $100k and are now only worth $40k; I am seeking compensation as insurance as they are liable. CGC accepted my two Amazing Fantasy 15s with fully-attached-covers for walk-through grading and damaged both of them by fully detaching the covers. This resulted in a decline in value of about $60k, according to the CGC labels I packaged these very carefully and paid over $2k to grade because of insurance, where CGC now refuses to pay.. They've said that my irrefutable "before" pictures are not "convincing." They have refused to show me their video that was a part of their contract at the time that I sent books into them for grading. There is sworn testimony from the guy who "pressed" them (industry accepted clean+flatten) as to the state of the comic books. They detached both staples of both books and have committed fraud among other illegal activities.

Desired Outcome

$60k in financial compensation and or Public Apology the video tape of them opening the package

Holy Karp.

On 11/30/2021 at 5:09 PM, wombat said:

Look what I found:

CGC damaged my 2 valuable comic books that were worth $100k and are now only worth $40k; I am seeking compensation as insurance as they are liable. CGC accepted my two Amazing Fantasy 15s with fully-attached-covers for walk-through grading and damaged both of them by fully detaching the covers. This resulted in a decline in value of about $60k, according to the CGC labels I packaged these very carefully and paid over $2k to grade because of insurance, where CGC now refuses to pay.. They've said that my irrefutable "before" pictures are not "convincing." They have refused to show me their video that was a part of their contract at the time that I sent books into them for grading. There is sworn testimony from the guy who "pressed" them (industry accepted clean+flatten) as to the state of the comic books. They detached both staples of both books and have committed fraud among other illegal activities.

Desired Outcome

$60k in financial compensation and or Public Apology the video tape of them opening the package

Did you mail these in or drop them off in person?

How much did you value them at on the forms?

On 11/30/2021 at 10:16 PM, wombat said:

I figured everyone would know that was Dylan. Just missing the toilet picture. 

I had no idea, never saw his post. I DID think it sounded like Beerbohm (apologies for spelling.) but I'm pretty sure his issue was with an earlier book.

On 11/30/2021 at 10:33 AM, Topnotchman said:

The startling increase in the number of books I've gotten back with cracks on the right edge of the holder, excessive scuffing, multiple books damaged between grading and encapsulation.   Loss of my business income due to extended wait time between grading and the encapsulation process.  

If CGC doesn't have a full time Production Engineer dedicated to encapsulation.  What are they waiting for?  How many books do you accept back, how much is lost on return shipping costs, forward shipping costs, lost production time, damaged books compensated for, administrative costs with return orders.  

Why is it getting worse, when will it get better, when will things change?  I'm sure many would like to know these answers.

Got 25 of them back with the crack. Sent 14 back. About 10 came back reholdered with the same crack. I feel like it's a lost cause.

On 12/1/2021 at 10:38 AM, Skullk said:

More stupid newbs :facepalm:

Edit: that's not a Wombat quote

In that guy's defense (and i have no idea who it is) CGC did lose his cards, apparently low balled him on compensation and then agreed to pay market value after he filed a complaint. 

Edited by wombat

On 11/30/2021 at 8:09 PM, wombat said:

Look what I found:

Desired Outcome

Where did you find this? lol

On 12/1/2021 at 10:06 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Where did you find this? lol

I believe it was a part of the Better Business Bureau link "complaints" from a post earlier :foryou: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 12/1/2021 at 3:11 PM, skypinkblu said:

I had no idea, never saw his post. I DID think it sounded like Beerbohm (apologies for spelling.) but I'm pretty sure his issue was with an earlier book.

His was an issue of All-Star Comics, 8 I believe, that the forum supposedly called the 'best ever seen' (note, that wasn't said) and there was another that CGC admittedly got a tape pull on, 19 or so perhaps? He got compensated for that with all grading fees paid for. 

On 11/25/2021 at 4:05 PM, Turtle said:

I recently got a 15-book submission back from CGC after being away for 5+ months (modern, non-fast track).  The cases were in OK shape, but those labels:

This one is NOT the German Edition.  It's the PBBZ Comic Con and Small Press Fest exclusive from 2005. 

2021-11-25-0002.thumb.jpg.affcc9bc0938c12af9a5121fe6a23615.jpg

This one IS the German one by Dani Books released in 2020.

2021-11-25-0001.thumb.jpg.6b389f3860125fa13b4170f81f26a303.jpg

The TMNT #1 Convention Edition B from 2018 is a total mystery to me.  I didn't submit that book.  I don't even know what it looks like.  It wasn't on my packing slip.  I don't know how they came up with this label.

What's worse...looking at the CGC submission data, it appears the graders notes got flipped around on these books too.  This doesn't appear to be just a straight up switch in the labels.  These will have to be re-graded completely. 

So I sent these back in to get fixed after talking to a rep.  They were received yesterday.

558616190_RuhRoh.thumb.PNG.7ca3d7e3625e9be31387974e58a6a4ee.PNG

I mean,they couldn't possibly mess it up again...right?

Dumbfounded.gif.f71b0795ae89836654eaea2338fa210a.gif