• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nicest VG+ Adventure #40 ever?

17 posts in this topic

The cover on that copy looks to be *at least* a solid 8.0-8.5 - the corners are so sharp that I really thought it must be restored.

I have yet to see a slightly brittle book whose pages aren't brown, and I have to believe that's the reason for the big downgrade here.

So if the book stays in the holder, it should be well preserved, right?

Really the book should be de-acidified so it can be saved, but then of course it would get the purple kiss of death label.

I have seen golden age from 1939-40 that had slightly brittle/fragile edges to the cover but overall the pgs were NOT uniformly tan or brown. The All Star copy looks to have been cleaned & pressed but still blue label. Like u said Sean, the cover edges are too square & fresh.

I think the book would survive just fine if left in the CGC holder.

With all due respect, this I do not get. Yes, they put a of deacidification swatch inside of the front cover, but that is really not going to preserve the whole book. And factors such as heat and humidity will definitely permeate the slab. The CGC holder is just that...a holder. it is not and should not be seen as a cure-all for environmental damage.

I thank you. smile.gif

PS - if my words are wrong, I am most willing to listen to different facts!

I have seen golden age from 1939-40 that had slightly brittle/fragile edges to the cover but overall the pgs were NOT uniformly tan or brown

Reminds me of a joke that I had going with some other dealers.

When we looking at books and noticed they some brittleness or were brown,

it would always a kind of "turn to page 18 and look at the center of the page - looks like an OWL 8!"

I think almost eveyr book I've ever seen had at least an inch of it somewhere that could qualify as an OWL 8 (or at least a 7 in the lights of a convention).

wink.gif

CGC really hammers for slightly brittle pages I have a Marvel Mystery 12 which looks at least 1 maybe two full grades better than what they gave it but it has slightly brittle pages I'm tempted to crack it and see what the page quality is really like Nice thing is I got a great looking copy for a cheap price bad thing is maybe the book has deteriorated too far?

pages made me cringe too - that's why i didn't go higher.

but still 1/2 a grade under the copy the blazing one has for $10,000 less is

quite a deal.

I don't think the other bidder was Snyder.

You're not going to see him and Geppi bidding against each other.