• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your top three 2014 superhero/sci-fi movies!

50 posts in this topic

1.Guardians of the Galaxy

2.X-Men:Days of Future Past

3.Captain America:The Winter Soldier

(thumbs u

I had X-Men:DOFP as my #1 movie till GOTG lol

X-Men:DOFP is my #1 X-Men movie overall :)

They erased everything awful about X-Men:The Last Stand,and created a new timeline.

1.Guardians of the Galaxy

2.X-Men:Days of Future Past

3.Captain America:The Winter Soldier

(thumbs u

I had X-Men:DOFP as my #1 movie till GOTG lol

X-Men:DOFP is my #1 X-Men movie overall :)

They erased everything awful about X-Men:The Last Stand,and created a new timeline.

I really liked DoFP, but the X-Men franchise is really becoming overly familiar now. There's really no danger for random major characters in a fight unless it's supposed to drive the plot and we seem to get a "happy" ending at the end of each movie, even if a character is even killed. Movies like this need dark cliffhangers, like Empire Strikes Back, to show us how volatile their universe is and something that drives you to see the next one other than a hyped up trailer.

I quite enjoyed Edge of Tomorrow.

EdgeofTomorrow_zps36fb4575.jpg

(thumbs u

Another winning Emily Blunt sy-fy performance (Looper).

Give this lady a franchise in this genre, please!

This actually would be #4 on my list. Even the soundtrack is worth re-listening to.

(thumbs u

This actually would be #4 on my list. Even the soundtrack is worth re-listening to.

It`s probably the one big box office hit I haven`t seen it.

I will try to watch it tonight when Mrs.Connoisseur and the kids go visit the mother in law.

:wishluck:

So the consensus so far is these three

Guardians of the Galaxy

X-Men:Days of Future Past

Captain America:The Winter Soldier

were overwhelmingly popular.

Also a few votes for

Interstellar

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

I can`t think of a year that had so many different great superhero/sci-fi movies.

With Avengers and Star Wars coming 2015 might just top 2014!

:cloud9:

1. Live, Die, Repeat...er Edge of Tomorrow

2. GOTG

3. I like Hunger Games, Maze Runner (I liked the books), X-Men, Hobbit, Capt. America, Interstellar, Planet of the Apes...can't really pick just one.

Hated Spider-Man

(thumbs u

Excluding the more popular time travel movies like The Terminator or Back to the Future series, this was one of the best time warp romps that has ever been made (Run Lola Run, Groundhog Day, 12 Monkeys, Hot Tub Time Machine (errr... great white buffalo, great white buffalo...). I thought Blunt was perfect casting, Cruise was solid, but Ed Norton could have played his character just as well. A perfect companion movie to watch after this one would be The Source Code, starring Jake Gyllenaal, America's answer to Doctor Who. He starred in the classic time bender Donnie Darko also.

I thought Edge of Tomorrow was excellent.

Snowpiercer was entertaining, but I wish Chris Evans could find more work based on comics and graphic novels.

Don't you guys realize that Mega Shark vs. Mecha Shark came out last January and thus is eligible for consideration? I'm sure that will shake up a few lists.

I actually think that my favorite three films of 2014 would also crack my top five sci-fi films of the decade so far(2010-2014). Looper still holds the top spot there though.

1. Guardians of the Galaxy

2. Winter Soldier

3. Edge of Tomorrow

I thought Edge of Tomorrow was excellent.

Snowpeircer was entertaining, but I wish Chris Evans could find more work based on comics and graphic novels.

Snowpiercer was a great little sy-fy movie. I don't know, Chris has done a lot more funnybook movies than most (Fantastic Four, Scott Pilgrim, TMNT to name a few other than Captain America, The Avengers, Snowpiercer, The Losers).