• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,104 posts in this topic

On 12/24/2022 at 9:51 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Can't tell if you think that's a good thing or not!

My feeling is that it's a very, very bad thing.  Fine for a single "off-beat adventure" issue of a comic book, disastrous for a film franchise that is desperate to appeal to a broad audience that doesn't want its intelligence insulted.

wasn't really making a judgment one way or the other, so i applaud your reading comprehension skills...must be all those comics you've been reading, as i know it's not my ability to convey meaning or anything resembling same.

i think the whole concept of superhero movies is at the core rather 'silly,' so it really remains to be seen what direction the writer and director go with here. the Rocket Raccoon example brought earlier is probably a good basis to go off of absent any other clues or etc

On 2/14/2023 at 3:48 AM, WolverineX said:

Despite the troubles of the lead actor, the upcoming flash trailer looks pretty promising.  Wonder if Flash 123 will see heat as the 1st multiverse as well as two Flashes.  It's always been an awesome cover.

That looks freaking awesome!!!!

MC-who??

They went balls deep on this one, I'm putting all my bets down that this is a comic movie we've been waiting for.

WITH an ad for comics books!! 

Edited by Microchip

On 2/13/2023 at 11:13 PM, Microchip said:

That looks freaking awesome!!!!

MC-who??

They went balls deep on this one, I'm putting all my bets down that this is a comic movie we've been waiting for.

WITH an ad for comics books!! 

Just watched and totally agree! Man, I took a serious run at a higher grade Flash 123 a few months ago. It went pretty high. Wish I bought that now!

On 2/14/2023 at 5:34 PM, Pantodude said:

Flash #123 has always been a huge key, but IMO, surprisingly undervalued since the multiverse first began having success on the big screen years ago.   It's the 1st comic to suggest the multiverse!  It's not often that you can pin a transition of such magnitude on a single book ala Dective Comics #38 (first sidekick, which took the GA by storm).  

I’ve always felt that big as they are, both Flash 123 and Avengers 4 are still underrated keys as they both pull the Golden Age into the Silver Age. Both are central to their respective publishers’ development of the concept of continuity, the core of the serialized, illustrated fiction upon which this particular collecting hobby is originally built. To me, that’s the real significance of the returns of Cap and Jay Garrick.

On 2/18/2023 at 8:35 AM, Readcomix said:

I’ve always felt that big as they are, both Flash 123 and Avengers 4 are still underrated keys as they both pull the Golden Age into the Silver Age. Both are central to their respective publishers’ development of the concept of continuity, the core of the serialized, illustrated fiction upon which this particular collecting hobby is originally built. To me, that’s the real significance of the returns of Cap and Jay Garrick.

Toss FF #4 in there as well!

On 2/18/2023 at 8:03 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Certainly you can; it’s earlier than Avengers 4. This could be a whole ‘nother thread that could be argued either way but I just feel Cap’s revival was far more important/central to the young Marvel universe because Cap became the backbone of the title that showcased many of their solo heroes. Subby’s growth across the titles was more gradual, though he was an important supporting cast member for the early FF as the first Marvel anti-hero, the grandpappy in a sense of Wolverine, Punisher etc. Avengers #3, DD #7, X-Men #6 … he’s harassing everybody! 

But at the simplest level, both books certainly brought back a Timely hero into Marvel continuity with an explanation for where they’d been. Functionally, it’s an equal contributor of the concept of pulling the Golden Age characters forward into the newly created mythos. (thumbsu

On 2/18/2023 at 8:03 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

On 2/18/2023 at 11:05 PM, Readcomix said:

Certainly you can; it’s earlier than Avengers 4. This could be a whole ‘nother thread that could be argued either way but I just feel Cap’s revival was far more important/central to the young Marvel universe because Cap became the backbone of the title that showcased many of their solo heroes. Subby’s growth across the titles was more gradual, though he was an important supporting cast member for the early FF as the first Marvel anti-hero, the grandpappy in a sense of Wolverine, Punisher etc. Avengers #3, DD #7, X-Men #6 … he’s harassing everybody! 

But at the simplest level, both books certainly brought back a Timely hero into Marvel continuity with an explanation for where they’d been. Functionally, it’s an equal contributor of the concept of pulling the Golden Age characters forward into the newly created mythos. (thumbsu

You guys are killing me!! 

I just did a trade for a FF1 which involved parting with an Avengers 1 and FF 2 - 4. 

The Avengers 1, I know I'll replace at some point and hopefully upgrade. But the FFs I really didn't feel good about letting go of. I have a feeling I'll always prioritize other books over them. 

I've traded away other keys that I miss. But those early FFs have gotten pricey enough that replacing them will require some degree of planning.

Edited by KCOComics