• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE HULK #181 CLUB
24 24

1,668 posts in this topic

On 11/18/2021 at 6:47 PM, UncleBEN said:

Things that make you go HMMMM

image.thumb.png.4f829ed74fb4b89d4b33d92652f408e4.png

Structurally it looks very tight , and I would think this is a good example of the highest graded sun faded book that I have seen anyway.

It had to have faded after it was graded. Maybe someone displayed it for a month or two with a lot of sunlight or strong fluorescent lighting. 

On 11/19/2021 at 10:28 AM, jcjames said:

It had to have faded after it was graded. Maybe someone displayed it for a month or two with a lot of sunlight or strong fluorescent lighting. 

i saw this yesterday and wanted to post it here too. what a tragedy this is, comics-wise. i also suspect it was displayed, brilliantly, somewhere with strong sunlight. 

How long would it take for that much fading to occur from a window display or hanging on a wall? I mean I'm pretty sure they didn't have it sunbathing on the roof of their car. If this happened post grading it has to be the most reckless treatment of a slab other than setting it on fire or something! I'd really be curious if they would ever grade that 9.8 as is??? 

On 11/19/2021 at 3:36 PM, MGsimba77 said:

How long would it take for that much fading to occur from a window display or hanging on a wall? I mean I'm pretty sure they didn't have it sunbathing on the roof of their car. If this happened post grading it has to be the most reckless treatment of a slab other than setting it on fire or something! I'd really be curious if they would ever grade that 9.8 as is??? 

I have short boxes of slabs in front of windows that get sun, alhough the window opens to my house and the neighbors, there is the handle slot that I block with cardboard. I had to go look to see if there was any damage lol I didnt see any but my point:

It looks evenly faded on the hulk! It would have to be somewhere with full exposure

aaaaannndd

It isnt a 9.8, but given what the sun can do? It wasn't all that long out in the sun, imo, cause that is like someone did it on accident then realized. Even a couple of hours or day in the sun on the porch? Maybe 2 days? And just forgot to bring it in? Perhaps dashboard of a car?

Lol idk but that is :(

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 11/19/2021 at 5:09 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I have short boxes of slabs in front of windows that get sun, alhough the window opens to my house and the neighbors, there is the handle slot that I block with cardboard. I had to go look to see if there was any damage lol I didnt see any but my point:

It looks evenly faded on the hulk! It would have to be somewhere with full exposure

aaaaannndd

It isnt a 9.8, but given what the sun can do? It wasn't all that long out in the sun, imo, cause that is like someone did it on accident then realized. Even a couple of hours or day in the sun on the porch? Maybe 2 days? And just forgot to bring it in? Perhaps dashboard of a car?

Lol idk but that is :(

Weird how the little blue circle by the spine is the only area that *looks* unaffected 

And maybe the blue on Wolverine's gloves and boots?

Edited by MGsimba77

On 11/19/2021 at 4:42 PM, MGsimba77 said:

Weird how the little blue circle by the spine is the only area that *looks* unaffected 

And maybe the blue on Wolverine's gloves and boots?

Could it possibly be the scanner then?

That's what I initially thought but doubted it, I'm not sure where the scans are from either. Or if it's just a random pic someone found?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

My copy of Werewolf by Night #32 was sun faded before I sent it in to CGC and they gave it a higher grade than I had expected.  They made a note of it in the grader notes. However, I agree that CGC would not give a 9.8 to a copy that faded.  It had to have been displayed improperly, right?

CA46B7DA-54B7-4759-87D6-EBD761D7888B.jpeg

On 11/19/2021 at 5:44 PM, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

My copy of Werewolf by Night #32 was sun faded before I sent it in to CGC and they gave it a higher grade than I had expected.  They made a note of it in the grader notes. However, I agree that CGC would not give a 9.8 to a copy that faded.  It had to have been displayed improperly, right?

CA46B7DA-54B7-4759-87D6-EBD761D7888B.jpeg

:takeit:there have been some books that somehow I missed the boat on. This is one of them. I'd gladly take a sun faded copy of either, but ya I think in the case of the hulk, its after the fact :(

Which is crazy to have to know or figure out when buying a slabbed book, just because it's not always so apparent imo.

On 11/19/2021 at 2:55 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Could it possibly be the scanner 

no way. thats sun damage. uv light drains/ fades red first and thats clearly the case here. bad scans dont tend to do that. they often blow out contrast. never seen a bad scan duplicate this look so perfectly. 

On 11/19/2021 at 9:22 PM, alexgross.com said:

no way. thats sun damage. uv light drains/ fades red first and thats clearly the case here. bad scans dont tend to do that. they often blow out contrast. never seen a bad scan duplicate this look so perfectly. 

Ya I doubted it was the scanner,  no matter how much I hate to see the fade.

I do not believe that picture is a true picture of the comic. It was graded on 2/28/20 and it would NOT have been a 9.8 if it looked like that. So if it really were sun damage, it would've happened in less than 2yrs. IF it were UV, the title and label would be more faded, especially the black "9.8". The 9.8 looks fresh and untouched.  My opinion is it's an edited picture of the book. Not sure why someone would edit, but not sure why most people do what they do now a days.

On 11/22/2021 at 9:27 PM, Homeboy32 said:

I do not believe that picture is a true picture of the comic. It was graded on 2/28/20 and it would NOT have been a 9.8 if it looked like that. So if it really were sun damage, it would've happened in less than 2yrs. IF it were UV, the title and label would be more faded, especially the black "9.8". The 9.8 looks fresh and untouched.  My opinion is it's an edited picture of the book. Not sure why someone would edit, but not sure why most people do what they do now a days.

This is 100% UV damage that happened after it was graded (CGC cases don't provide any protection against UV). Colors don't all fade at the same rates. Reds/oranges go first and purples turn blue which is exactly what you see here. 

The image is pulled from a sales listing, there is no reason for the seller to alter an image to make a book look worse when it is for sale.

On 11/22/2021 at 6:27 PM, Homeboy32 said:

it's not edited. its on the CL exchange. in fact the seller makes note of the fading. as @10centcomicssaid, it likely occurred after grading. only takes a few days or weeks in direct sun to be ruined. 

On 11/23/2021 at 5:29 PM, Hulksdaddy1 said:
On 11/23/2021 at 8:32 AM, alexgross.com said:

it's not edited. its on the CL exchange. in fact the seller makes note of the fading. as @10centcomicssaid, it likely occurred after grading. only takes a few days or weeks in direct sun to be ruined. 

Graders notes might tell the tale.

Not necessarily so, as I have been told many times by boardies here that the Graders Notes are really nothing more than internal notes by the graders as the book goes from one grader to the next and does not necessarily list all of the defects that goes into the determination of the book's grade. (shrug)

Which then leads me to the question of should CGC really be charging money for the Graders Notes if they are really meant as nothing more than incomplete internal notes for the graders?  :censored:

On 11/24/2021 at 12:36 AM, lou_fine said:

Not necessarily so, as I have been told many times by boardies here that the Graders Notes are really nothing more than internal notes by the graders as the book goes from one grader to the next and does not necessarily list all of the defects that goes into the determination of the book's grade. (shrug)

Which then leads me to the question of should CGC really be charging money for the Graders Notes if they are really meant as nothing more than incomplete internal notes for the graders?  :censored:

all i said was the image has not been edited, as the seller clearly states that it does in fact have fading. i doubt it got that grade with the fading but i don't really care. 

of course CGC shouldn't charge for grader's notes. airlines shouldn't charge you for bringing a bag on the plane either. good luck with that. 

On 11/24/2021 at 3:36 AM, lou_fine said:

I figure if it was that faded during grading, they would definitely note it. If it's not noted, pretty much assures it happened post grading.