• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE HULK #181 CLUB
24 24

1,668 posts in this topic

What I can't figure out is why someone would send the book in for grading, having it come back as 9.8, then leaving it out somewhere where the sun could get to it? I mean, wouldn't a savvy collector first of all freak out and say "It got a 9.8! I am sitting on a lot of money! I am going to put it away."

If it were in a shop, one would have to wonder if even a customer might quip "Say, that's a stupid place to leave that book. In your front window, The suns hitting it. Plus, you are leaving yourself open to theft." Same with a glass case. I mean, how much fluorescent light would have to hit it to fade it like that? And for how long? I've seen books sit for years on the walls of LCS's and they never faded like that.

So, let's see. I am smart enough to know what I have. I have an IH 181. I am smart enough to see it's pristine. I am smart enough to send it in for grading. I am smart enough to realize a 9.8 for this book is going to net me some change. I am smart enough to sell it via CL. I am smart enough to price it right in the zone for an IH 181. I am NOT smart enough to keep it out of the sun. Duh.

And the blue label is a dead giveaway. That would have faded substantially as well. It would NOT look brand new while the rest of the book is trashed. It would have at least a moderate amount of fading.

Thing to do I guess is to find out WHEN it was graded v the time it was put up on CL for sale.

On 11/24/2021 at 4:39 PM, Randall Ries said:

What I can't figure out is why someone would send the book in for grading, having it come back as 9.8, then leaving it out somewhere where the sun could get to it? I mean, wouldn't a savvy collector first of all freak out and say "It got a 9.8! I am sitting on a lot of money! I am going to put it away."

If it were in a shop, one would have to wonder if even a customer might quip "Say, that's a stupid place to leave that book. In your front window, The suns hitting it. Plus, you are leaving yourself open to theft." Same with a glass case. I mean, how much fluorescent light would have to hit it to fade it like that? And for how long? I've seen books sit for years on the walls of LCS's and they never faded like that.

So, let's see. I am smart enough to know what I have. I have an IH 181. I am smart enough to see it's pristine. I am smart enough to send it in for grading. I am smart enough to realize a 9.8 for this book is going to net me some change. I am smart enough to sell it via CL. I am smart enough to price it right in the zone for an IH 181. I am NOT smart enough to keep it out of the sun. Duh.

And the blue label is a dead giveaway. That would have faded substantially as well. It would NOT look brand new while the rest of the book is trashed. It would have at least a moderate amount of fading.

Thing to do I guess is to find out WHEN it was graded v the time it was put up on CL for sale.

Pure speculation on my part but I would venture that the owner was not the original submitter. Likely an inexperienced but deep-pocketed new collector who picked up this grail and put it proudly on display. A few months of daily indirect sunlight can cause damage like this. Since IH181 is a grail for many collectors, it's a book that you see faded pretty often. I've attached another example below. 

The unaffected blue CGC label is not a dead giveaway. As I stated before, colors fade at different rates with reds/oranges being most susceptible. Blues and blacks aren't as affected. You can see this in action on the IH181 cover itself. The blues in Wolverine's costume aren't as affected compared to the red/orange background.

Image 1 - incredible hulk 181 cgc 5.0

On 11/27/2021 at 12:29 AM, 10centcomics said:

Pure speculation on my part but I would venture that the owner was not the original submitter. Likely an inexperienced but deep-pocketed new collector who picked up this grail and put it proudly on display. A few months of daily indirect sunlight can cause damage like this. Since IH181 is a grail for many collectors, it's a book that you see faded pretty often. I've attached another example below. 

The unaffected blue CGC label is not a dead giveaway. As I stated before, colors fade at different rates with reds/oranges being most susceptible. Blues and blacks aren't as affected. You can see this in action on the IH181 cover itself. The blues in Wolverine's costume aren't as affected compared to the red/orange background.

This book is interesting as it looks nearly perfect except for the cover fade.  Is it possible that this book was a 9.0+ and the fade brought it down to 5.0?

Those washed out books are deal breakers for me😟

On 11/24/2021 at 1:39 PM, Randall Ries said:

Cyan fades differently that magenta, the only color that has faded away is the magenta on this comic, that's why the hulks pants look faded as well. I'm not sure but I think the yellow is placed first then 2nd cyan. Third magenta then black. The faded magenta will turn reds orange. And purples to a light purple. 

Good point. I still wonder why some other savvy collector didn't tell him to get it out of the sun. It reminds me other the guy selling the Batman #5 with his canary yellow cover sitting out in the sun at a flea market weekend after weekend finally ending up with a white cover. Tried telling him every weekend. Get it out of the sun. But noooooo. I was a KID and HE was a 70 year old FARMER! Whatever, dude. End of the summer I congratulated him on ruining his book. He liked that. Oh yessir he did. LOL!

On 12/18/2021 at 11:09 AM, nearmint said:

So if the book was resubbed, how do you think CGC would grade it now?

Bigger question is where did the book go? C-Link had put it up on Instagram that it was coming up in the January auction, they got a lot of lash back in comments, then it disappeared hm

On 12/21/2021 at 8:42 AM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Bigger question is where did the book go? C-Link had put it up on Instagram that it was coming up in the January auction, they got a lot of lash back in comments, then it disappeared hm

On 12/23/2021 at 9:32 AM, VintageComics said:

CGC contacted me to ask me about the book since I submitted that book and got the 9.8 on it. 

The book did NOT look like that when I subbed it. The book is obviously faded. 

This is an image of the book shortly after it was encapsulated. It's a dead 9.8.

2104336-001F-1.thumb.JPG.6e226a5533b2c5236a9eb724b29950d3.JPG

I adopted another cat yesterday. Prior to taking him home i had to fill out a bit of paperwork, mainly focusing on how I will take care of the cat.

Maybe buyers of high quality, key books should do the same.

Such a shame...

On 12/23/2021 at 8:32 AM, VintageComics said:

CGC contacted me to ask me about the book since I submitted that book and got the 9.8 on it. 

The book did NOT look like that when I subbed it. The book is obviously faded. 

This is an image of the book shortly after it was encapsulated. It's a dead 9.8.

2104336-001F-1.thumb.JPG.6e226a5533b2c5236a9eb724b29950d3.JPG

I remember this book, thank you for the insight!!