• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE HULK #181 CLUB
24 24

1,668 posts in this topic

On 5/11/2022 at 10:28 AM, F For Fake said:

Posted this in CG last week, but forgot to join the club! I was not expecting to own this book. I was not looking to find this book. I didn't think I'd be able to afford a decent complete copy anytime soon. I'd gone to my LCS to pick up my holds and a couple of other books they'd put aside for me. I was checking out and happened to glance up at the wall, and saw this guy sitting there, at a price I couldn't ignore. It had been put up on the wall the day before, and I'm amazed it had lasted that long. It's beat, but it's complete with MVS, and has really nice colors for the grade. Really tickled to have one of these fall into my hands out of the blue like that.

B24BD728-0B74-4625-AEC9-510D57EA999D.thumb.jpeg.3166dd4e21e647d2e45f547fbe8df91f.jpeg

F8DA35F2-96EC-477D-8B52-C3A937C2FDD4.thumb.jpeg.0858f2944f450458a3f2ab74f6e1ea5f.jpeg

Congrats and welcome to the club 

I know I’m not going to make any friends here…

I have a high grade copy of this I bought off the newstand and read it once then.

I recently picked up a Marvel Milestone Edition and decided to re-read it again.

Man, what a borefest. The art is pretty second rate. The story is mostly just fighting back and forth. Hard to keep my interest. And literally half the book is ads.

I understand the importance and significance but other than the big sales numbers, it does nothing for me. Maybe my interests have changed. I just think of all the quality books I could have for this amount of money.

OK, 1,2,3 jump me! 

Well, it is a comic book. It was intended to be “juvenile” and the original intended audience was not an adult collector in 2022. 

Honestly, most of the major keys are the same. It’s not really surprising. 

Edited by shane1956

On 10/28/2022 at 7:01 PM, shane1956 said:

Well, it is a comic book. It was intended to be “juvenile” and the original intended audience was not an adult collector in 2022. 

Honestly, most of the major keys are the same. It’s not really surprising. 

True although I was in my early 20's when I bought off the stands...:roflmao:And I have read 100's of better books since then. 

On 10/28/2022 at 4:16 PM, Robot Man said:

I have a high grade copy of this I bought off the newstand and read it once then.

I recently picked up a Marvel Milestone Edition and decided to re-read it again.

Man, what a borefest. The art is pretty second rate. The story is mostly just fighting back and forth. Hard to keep my interest. And literally half the book is ads.

I understand the importance and significance but other than the big sales numbers, it does nothing for me. Maybe my interests have changed. I just think of all the quality books I could have for this amount of money.

OK, 1,2,3 jump me! 

Others have said this. It's boring and the art is meh

On 10/28/2022 at 7:16 PM, Robot Man said:

OK, 1,2,3 jump me! 

I was a 90s kid so wolverine was a big deal and I bought this very young in my collecting career.

And what's kind of funny is, I have never read the story.  I have gone out of my way to read reprints of all the classic marvels,  but for some reason,  I never got around to this. Perhaps it's because it's not known for its story. 

The cover was so iconic to collectors of my generation that I never was overly judgmental of the art.  It was just a staple of the collecting culture, spared from my judgment. 

But I do agree, if this was just another Hulk title,  I would never be blown away by the cover art. It's not bad, but it's not overly compelling. 

This was released during my favorite era of comic book artist. You had Bernie, Sterenko, Neal Adam's all putting out this incredible work.. and the biggest book of that era,  doesn't compare. 

On 11/8/2022 at 7:41 AM, KCOComics said:

I was a 90s kid so wolverine was a big deal and I bought this very young in my collecting career.

And what's kind of funny is, I have never read the story.  I have gone out of my way to read reprints of all the classic marvels,  but for some reason,  I never got around to this. Perhaps it's because it's not known for its story. 

The cover was so iconic to collectors of my generation that I never was overly judgmental of the art.  It was just a staple of the collecting culture, spared from my judgment. 

But I do agree, if this was just another Hulk title,  I would never be blown away by the cover art. It's not bad, but it's not overly compelling. 

This was released during my favorite era of comic book artist. You had Bernie, Sterenko, Neal Adam's all putting out this incredible work.. and the biggest book of that era,  doesn't compare. 

Indeed. The Wrightson, Steranko and Adams out put during this time was first rate. I get the importance of Wolverine though. This book just leaves me flat. I have only kept it for song for historical and investment reasons. 

On 11/8/2022 at 4:49 PM, MattTheDuck said:

When did this book really take off?  I could have had all I wanted at a quarter apiece but only got one.

It depends on your view point and when you got it for a quarter ....

2015-16 I bought a vg raw with crayon on it for $500. In 2016-17 I bought another for the same price, although higher grades were going higher. In mid 2017- early 18 I bought a 7.5 for $1800, where two months before I could have had an 8.5 barely or 8.0.

So I guess the Logan movie?