• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Green Lantern #40 CGC NM/M 9.8!!! Very Rare Silver age Key issue

33 posts in this topic

I just posted some beautiful high graded comic books on my website. All are CGC graded and most are the best existing copies. I will be posting more later today as well.

Of particular note is the Green Lantern #40 CGC NM/M 9.8

This is a stunning copy and obviously the lone 9.8 on the Census. The centering is perfect! The spine and edges are just about flawless. The corners are sharp and the freshness is like that of a new book. A true Gem! Take a look for yourself.

I try and post new aquisitions every two days, so check back often.

Mark

PGC Mint Home page

Thank you for your questions. As you can see, the book is a strictly graded 9.8.

I have added a scan of this book that you can download and look at.

You can also see this book plus nearly 2000 others on my website.

Mark

694618-GreenLantern40CG98.jpeg.9275a872e16df61c76c1210b38a206e1.jpeg

Wow where did you find that puppy? Has it even seen the light of day for the past 40 years?

It went up at the Heritage Feb 2004 Signature auction. gossip.gif

It's an absolute beauty, but I've always been part of a minority that think this is one of the most overrated and overvalued books in the entire DC universe. confused-smiley-013.gif

Wow where did you find that puppy? Has it even seen the light of day for the past 40 years?

It's an absolute beauty, but I've always been part of a minority that think this is one of the most overrated and overvalued books in the entire DC universe. confused-smiley-013.gif

Agreed, but a helluva cover.

OK since I haven't read it can you esplain me why you feel this way?

OK since I haven't read it can you esplain me why you feel this way?

Take a look at its price compared to the issues around it. Now consider that the whole reason for its extraordinary valuation is because the origins of DC's Crisis can be traced to this book. Does this make it worth that much more? confused-smiley-013.gif

Jeff's right though, the cover does kick butt!

Was the book pressed?

No, this book came from an amazing collection of high grade DC books. It was one of the KEY issues that they tried out in the Heritage auction. It has never been pressed.

I had the Flash #175 from this collection, also in 9.8 but sold that recently.

This cover has always been a favorite of mine and it is about on par with the Flash #123 for historical importance. They both have fantastic covers don't they?

Mark

Sorry, my website still lacks the ability to show a back cover scan. I am working on that and should have that up and running later this year. But yes, the back cover is tremendous. No defects at all and very clean.

By the way, I will also be adding a SOLD button to my HOME page, so anyone can see what books have recently sold. I also list the exact price the book sold for because I am hopeful that sales from my website will be included in the GPA. Until sales from dealers are included in the GPA, it is not an accurate tool. I have talked to George about this and he is considering doing this but I am waiting.

By the way, any imput on this issue from you collectors on the boards?

There are two sides to this and both have their points BUT by not including dealers sales, you are giving the public a very inaccurate view of true value. And for that reason I never use the GPA as a buying tool. I mean no offence, as the concept is brilliant and it has the potential to become very useful but as a dealer for over 20 years, I know what goes on behind the scenes. Nearly ALL of the biggest deals are done privately and are not recorded for public knowledge. We need these sales to give the buyer a better picture of value. Yes, there is the potential for dealer embellishment but there must be a way to make this work.

As big as ebay is, it is simply a cash flow tool, a way to liquidate abundance quickly. Price yields from these auction sales are consequently weak to moderate. Yes, great items always sell for high prices and frenzied bidding on a currently hot item will open bidder's wallets to a nearly unimaginable degree at times but it is still a garage sale platform with tremendous variables involved that affect prices. i can talk about those variables but would like to hear from you first.

Mark

G'day Mark - great to have met/spoken with you in San Diego last year.

We're ready to accept your CGC sales whenever you can provide sales info - let's talk on the phone when you are ready and we can discuss.

As far as GPA data, as of current, please remember we report a lot more than just eBay. Auction houses included are:

Heritage

eBay

AllStar

Vault

Mastronet

JayParrino

Yahoo

Swenson

Hakes (their current sale about to be reported)

Private dealer sales include:

Colmore

Pedigree

Esquire Comics (just come on board)

Mile High Comics

Albino Rhino Comics (coming on board)

I know there are many more private sales out there, but I respectfully disagree with you on our service somehow showing only a fraction of high end sales. Especially when you consider how many high grades go through the above venues (hardly liquidating venues) - and that does include eBay, as some high profile dealers and auction houses use it to transact, often large $$ books at that.

I agree with you that we can report on more private sales, and we're certainly getting interest from dealers all the time. Anyaway, as I say, anytime you are ready to start reporting we'll be glad to have you on board smile.gif As more dealers report to us, like those above, yourself soon and others, I personally believe our service will give an even better indication of where the market is heading, even if some dealers choose not to participate.

Best

GP

G'day Mark - great to have met/spoken with you in San Diego last year.

We're ready to accept your CGC sales whenever you can provide sales info - let's talk on the phone when you are ready and we can discuss.

As far as GPA data, as of current, please remember we report a lot more than just eBay. I agree with you that we can report on more private sales, and we're certainly getting interest from dealers all the time. Anyaway, as I say, anytime you are ready to start reporting we'll be glad to have you on board smile.gif As more dealers report to us, like those above, yourself soon and others, I personally believe our service will give an even better indication of where the market is heading, even if some dealers choose not to participate.

Best

GP

Hi George!

Great to hear from you and I do appreciate the responce.

I realize that your data is broader than ebay, I was just singling out ebay because it gives very volatile results. I would like very much to participate and I wish that all dealers would do this.

So many sales go uncharted for various reasons, so the more participation by dealers the better the information will be.

Let me know what to do from here and I will get to work on it.

Mark

Couldn't agree with you more. As much as I like to use GPA as a reference tool it can be frustrating when potential buyers use it as a means to justify their low ball offers or belittle a sellers asking price.

I hear you loud and clear. This is why dealers need to report prices, so a more accurate picture will be given.

Just because a book sells at auction for $1,000.00 and is reported does not mean that it cannot sell for more when offered up again. All collectors and dealers are not aware of all auctions. Consequently, a hammered and recorded price does not reflect true value. It simply reflects what a group of people were willing to pay for a particular book on a given day, based on their current financial ability at that time.

Mark

I hear you loud and clear. This is why dealers need to report prices, so a more accurate picture will be given.

Just because a book sells at auction for $1,000.00 and is reported does not mean that it cannot sell for more when offered up again. All collectors and dealers are not aware of all auctions. Consequently, a hammered and recorded price does not reflect true value. It simply reflects what a group of people were willing to pay for a particular book on a given day, based on their current financial ability at that time.

Mark

What you say is true, but it is also true for any sale whether auction house or private transaction. I have, on many occasions, walked up to dealer's table and bought a book only to resell it for more money later on. A sale, regardless of where it is made, is only indicative of the value of the book at that point in time. You have many books on your site that have been there for quite some time and have not sold. Does that mean the books aren't worth your price? No. It only means that the right buyer hasn't come along. Conversely, some books have sold right away. Does that mean they were undervalued? No.

I believe that there are private transactions, but I also believe that the number of those transactions has diminished over the years. More and more, large sales are being conducted online and in the public eye. This is as it should be. No sale should be recorded unless it can be verified. Too much room for deceit. There was a time when Overstreet would report sales and everyone would have to take his word. Not anymore and that is good for the hobby.

Ebay offers more than just an online tag sale or overstock clearinghouse. It offers collectors the ability to get first crack at books they never would have had access to before. There was a time when people came across collections, picked up the price guide and called the dealers who ran ads. Now, more and more, people are putting these books directly on ebay. I have gotten some fantastic deals that way and have been able to purchase books that I would never been able to buy if a dealer got ahold of them first.

Question: When are you going to take the books that have sold off of your site? Some sold listings have sat there for a long time.

Question: When are you going to take the books that have sold off of your site? Some sold listings have sat there for a long time.

I hope Mark DOESN'T take these off. I like seeing which books dealers have sold and what they sold for. I don't mind the extra effort of scrolling past the sold books. Why is more information bad?