• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comprehensive List of DC Universe Logo UPC Variants
18 18

2,162 posts in this topic

On 2/19/2023 at 7:02 PM, Michael Browning said:

I picked these up in a local comic shop.

5C8E4855-E1D5-4AC4-8A56-2B4021B35119.jpeg

B5115FF9-87C9-4B9B-B168-E9848AAF7876.jpeg

Wow. Really like that Batman Set. It is one of the few sets I have been trying to find still sealed.

On 2/19/2023 at 6:32 PM, Michael Browning said:

The Power of Shazam TPB is JUST the graphic novel that was published before the series and does not contain any issues of the comic book series.

It was first published as a hardcover, then reprinted as a softcover (which appears here). It's a pretty good story, if I remember correctly from when I read it 30 years ago. I'd love to see what the poster is, but I'm a weenie, I can't allow myself to open it up. 

On 3/5/2023 at 6:55 AM, L.E. Gill said:

Looks like a Flash Terminal Velocity TPB and a Batman KnightsEnd TPB have DCU covers embedded (like the Contest, the Flash TPB uses a DCU UPC logo in place of the Zero Hour logo for Flash #0).  I suspect there are probably a few other collected storyline TPBs printed during that time frame that have the same (ones I think are possible but can't confirm yet included Bizzaro's World, Trial of Superman, Catfiles, things like that):

terminalvelocitytpb02.thumb.png.5c1d224342f33bb700a7f77c441c85ca.png

knightsendtpb02.thumb.jpg.51346c4c7b4d34568a3638dd21cdc25a.jpg

Not my photos, I got these off eBay.

I enjoy some of these as they can have covers that show a DCU when none of that issue have ever been found.

Curious if these have any such examples.  

On 3/5/2023 at 8:34 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I enjoy some of these as they can have covers that show a DCU when none of that issue have ever been found.

Curious if these have any such examples.  

Yes, and it's occurred to me that the presence of cover art with a DCU in one of these tpb might fuel rumors of some of those DCUs we have no evidence exists, understandably so.  @archivist and I have been discussing Impulse issues like #10 so I decided to check on the Impulse: Reckless Youth TPB to see if there might be covert art, but it looks like that book only collects through Impulse #8.  

A few kind souls on eBay have been answering my questions and providing images on some of the TPBs on my list to check  So far I haven't discovered any more with DCUs but I've managed to confirm some that do not.  We need a boardie with an extensive TPB collection to be our expert on this!

Findings So Far:

Aquaman: Time & Tide TPB - No DCUs, has a two page splash with small pictures of covers without a UPC box

Batman: Legacy TPB - No DCUs, has a two page splash with small pictures of covers without a UPC box

Wonder Woman: Challenge of Artemis TPB: No DCUs, each cover is included at the back of the book with a blank UPC box

Flash: Terminal Velocity TPB: Has DCU UPC cover arts embedded

Flash: Race Against Time TPB: Reported that there is no cover art included (need secondary confirmation as I've previously been told the same about Wonder Woman: The Challenge of Artemis)

Batman:Knightsend TPB: Has DCU UPC cover arts embedded (there might be later releases from DC that do not?)

Green Lantern: Baptism of Fire TPB: No DCUs, each cover is included at the back of the book with a blank UPC box

Catwoman: Catfile TPB:  Reported that there is no cover art included (need secondary confirmation)

and of course we knew previously about Wonder Woman: The Contest having the DCU covers.

My notes show that Catfile was published in April 96, GL: Baptism of Fire in May 99, The Contest February 95 (there apparently are 1st and later printings?), Terminal Velocity in January 1995 (reprinted in 2003, unknown if later reprints have the DCUs), Challenge of Artemis in April 96.  So I think if anyone else is interested/ checking, it's more likely to occur in TPBs released in early 95 or thereabouts.

On 2/21/2023 at 8:13 AM, RCheli said:

It was first published as a hardcover, then reprinted as a softcover (which appears here). It's a pretty good story, if I remember correctly from when I read it 30 years ago. I'd love to see what the poster is, but I'm a weenie, I can't allow myself to open it up. 

I am almost positive, but obviously can't confirm without someone opening one of these packs, that the poster is that really awesome lightning bolt shaped one you see sometimes on eBay (though it does not match the listed dimensions):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294958472575?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=uCJJwQI7Sae&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=vkVEJz9NT3G&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

There are at least 2 other Power of Shazam poster from.that time frame, but one of them was the retailer promo, that could be candidates so I am not sure?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/402841607166?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=246r-n6sTG6&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=vkVEJz9NT3G&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=MORE

Edited by L.E. Gill
Clarity and extra links

On 3/11/2023 at 11:21 AM, Iconic1s said:

Hello, I hope everyone is well!  Wondering if anyone knows how this one was distributed?  Checked a few other sites and started going through the 100 pages here, but haven’t figured it out. Thanks!

17B5A613-3457-4C26-A6AA-7A9DC77DF409.jpeg.9bef31c4d90fa695fe57c8ce8083365d.jpeg

That one is from the Green Lantern Collector's Set with the Final Night storyline.

image.png.154235d4e4f8c00d02bd2fa8170bfc55.png   image.png.8ff5529f3082f98c3091925816045da3.png

On 3/12/2023 at 7:07 PM, L.E. Gill said:

Some months back, I shared an exhaustive list of the possible DCU/ multipack variants from the second half of 1996 that have yet to be discovered by month and title along with my notes on why a particular book might or might not exist.  In the time since then, I was excited to actually find one of those previously undiscovered variants in the form of Batman & Robin Adventures #11 Bat Symbol UPC.  Here’s a follow up with the first half of 1996 for your perusal.  

Behind the cut is a list of potentially undiscovered DCUs based on speculation and several assumptions, namely, I have eliminated any titles published by DC in which there has not already been a DCU (e.g. no Teen Titans, min-series titles, etc.).  I have also eliminated any established DCU series in which the only occurrence(s) of a DCU was specific to a box set storyline (e.g. things like Sovereign Seven #1, Green Arrow, LOTDK, or Batman Chronicles #4 in the Contagion Storyline). I included non-DCU UPC variants such as the WB Reading and other miscellaneous multipack logos in my monthly counts.  As before, I am including all Legends of the Dead Earth Annuals just because.  Dates are based upon cover date, not publication date, which usually runs 2 months prior to the cover date.

Reveal hidden contents

Potential DCU (or other multipack UPC variants) by Month

Potential January 1996 DCU/UPC Variants
(12 Known DCUs, 1 is confirmed from a box set, 2 Rumored to Exist)

Action Comics #717: Action #715 & #718 DCUs exist, Action #716 probably doesn’t
Aquaman #16: Unlikely, huge gap between Aquaman #9 and #21 DCUs
Azrael #12: Unlikely, first known DCU is #15 & #16 from a storyline box set
Batman: Shadow of the Bat #46: Unlikely, #38 DCU apparently exists, then the next known DCUs are #48 & #49, from a storyline box set
Catwoman #28: Unlikely, huge gap between #19 DCU and the next known DCUs #31 & #32 are from a storyline box set
Detective Comics #693: #691 & #694 DCUs exist, #692 DCU probably doesn’t
Guy Gardner: Warrior #38: Unlikely, last known DCU is #27
Impulse #10: Rumored to Exist; no confirmed evidence that it does
Justice League Task Force #31: a very random #32 DCU exists, last known DCU prior to that is #23
Pinky & the Brain: Christmas Special #1: probably not, but you never know?
Power of Shazam #11: #12 DCU exists, #10 DCU probably doesn’t
Robin #24: Part of the gap between #22 DCU to #25 DCU
Steel #23: Rumored to Exist; no confirmed evidence that it does
Wonder Woman #105: #101 DCU is from a Box Set, #106 DCU exists, #104 DCU probably doesn’t

It’s been established that there are currently no known DCU/UPC variants with cover dates of December 1995.  Wonder Woman #105 has the first appearance of Cassie Sandsmark, it would seem like a DCU variant would have popped up by now if it was going to.  The Pinky & the Brain Christmas Special would probably be a decent choice for a 2 pack, however would run the risk of getting dated quickly on shelves if it didn’t move during the holiday season.  

Potential February 1996 DCU/UPC Variants
(17 Known DCUs, 1 of which confirmed from a box set)

Aquaman #17: Unlikely, huge gap between Aquaman #9 and #21 DCUs
Azrael #13: Unlikely, first known DCU is #15 & #16 from a storyline box set
Batman: Shadow of the Bat #47: Unlikely, #38 DCU apparently exists, then the next known DCUs are #48 & #49, from a storyline box set
Catwoman #29: Unlikely, huge gap between #19 DCU and the next known DCUs #31 & #32 are from a storyline box set
Green Lantern #71: Part of the gap between #70 DCU to #75 DCU
Guy Gardner: Warrior #39: Unlikely, last known DCU is #27
Impulse #11: Impulse #14-16 DCUs exist, Impulse #10 rumored to exist
Legionnaires #34: Last known DCU is #33
Looney Tunes #21: Unlikely, last known DCU is #15

This month sees many of the typical or main titles with already established DCUs.  With the exceptions of Animaniacs #10 (polybagged set with Animaniacs #1), DC vs. Marvel #1 (individually shrink wrapped), and Robin #25 (Box Set), most of these would have come in 2 packs.  If any of these were to exist, I’d say Green Lantern #71 would make the most sense because of cover/crossover appeal.  It also seems extremely unlikely in that it was Part 1 of a 3 part storyline, each with crossover characters, and it seems like if DCUs of GL #71-73 did exist, we’d have seen at least one of them pop up by now.

Potential March 1996 DCU/UPC Variants
(7 Known DCUs, 6 of which confirmed from a box set)

Action Comics #719: Part of the gap between #718 DCU to #722 DCU
Adventures of Superman #533: Part of the gap between #532 DCU to #535 DCU
Animaniacs #11: Part of the gap between #10 DCU to #14 DCU
Aquaman #18: Part of the gap between #9 DCU to #21 DCU
Azrael #14: #15 DCU, also cover date this month, exists from a storyline box set
Batman #528: Would fill single issue gap between #527 & #529 DCU
Catwoman #30: #31 DCU, also cover date this month, exists from a storyline box set
Flash #111: Part of the gap between #110 DCU to #114 DCU
Green Lantern #72: Part of the gap between #70 DCU to #75 DCU
Guy Gardener: Warrior #40: Unlikely, last known DCU is #27
Impulse #12: Impulse #14-16 DCUs exist, Impulse #10 rumored to exist
Justice League America #109: Part of the gap between #108 DCU to #112 DCU
Justice League Task Force #33: Last known DCU is #32
Legionnaires #35: Last known DCU is #33
Power of Shazam #13: Part of the gap between #12 to #16 DCU
Robin #26: #27 DCU, also cover date this month, exists from a storyline box set
Steel #25: Part of the gap between #24 DCU to #28 DCU
Superboy #25: Part of the gap between #24 DCU to #29 DCU
Superman #110: Part of the gap between #109 DCU to #113 DCU
Superman: Man of Steel #54: Part of the gap between #53 DCU to #57 DCU
Superman: Man of Tomorrow #4: Quarterly publication, #1 & #5 DCUs known to exist
Wonder Woman #107: Last known DCU is #106

This month we are back to hardly any DCUs, and only one that is not known to have come from a storyline box set (Batman & Robin Adventures #5).  I think there are several decent covers this month that could have had potential, but I also think any other DCUs for this month are unlikely.  Several titles had two releases with this cover date, with only one of each going into the storyline box set. If there are any, Batman #528, a Justice League, or a Super-title seem to be the best candidates to potentially exist.

It’s also worth a mention that Man-Bat #2, with cover date of March 1996, has a blank UPC variant.  However, I am pretty sure this was a misprinted attempt at a newsstand release rather than a multipack variant.  Feel free to let me know if anyone has more information on this.

Potential April 1996 DCU/UPC Variants
(6 Known DCUs, all of which came from a storyline Box Set; 6 Blank UPC Amalgam titles, also all from box sets)

Action Comics #720: Part of the gap between #718 DCU to #722 DCU
Aquaman #19: Part of the gap between #9 DCU to #21 DCU
Animaniacs #12: Part of the gap between #10 DCU to #14 DCU
Flash #112: Part of the gap between #110 DCU to #114 DCU
Green Lantern #73: Part of the gap between #70 DCU to #75 DCU
Guy Gardner: Warrior #41: Unlikely, last known DCU is #27
Justice League America #110: Part of the gap between #108 DCU to #112 DCU
Looney Tunes #22: Unlikely, last known DCU is #15
Power of Shazam #14: Part of the gap between #12 to #16 DCU
Superboy #265: Part of the gap between #24 DCU to #29 DCU
Superman: Man of Steel #55: Part of the gap between #53 DCU to #57 DCU
Superman #111: Part of the gap between #109 DCU to #113 DCU
Wonder Woman #108: Last known DCU is #106

This month saw multiple releases from DC’s half of Amalgam Comics, most of which were also released in box sets and several of which had blank UPC variants (Dr. Strangefate, JLX, Legend of Dark Claw, Amazon, Assassins, etc.).  I sometimes hesitate on whether or not to consider these as part of the whole DCU/multipack UPC variant set.  Technically, they certainly fit under the umbrella of a multipack variant.  However, the dual existence of both a blank and a DCU UPC variant of DC vs. Marvel #1 supports considering them a separate entity.  That being said, the comics industry was putting a lot of energy into this crossover event which was a good money maker in a time of flagging sales and it makes sense that the box sets being released from this cover date would feature them heavily.  

I doubt there are very many, if any, missing DCUs from this month, though I dearly wish Power of Shazam #14 was one of them.

Potential May 1996 DCU/UPC Variants
(Only 1 Known DCU: DC vs. Marvel #4)

Action Comics #721: Part of the gap between #718 DCU to #722 DCU
Adventures of Superman #534: Part of the gap between #532 DCU to #535 DCU
Animaniacs #13: Part of the gap between #10 DCU to #14 DCU
Aquaman #20: Part of the gap between #9 DCU to #21 DCU
Azrael #17: Unlikely due to boxed set releases; part of the gap between #16 DCU to #19 DCU
Batman #530: Extremely Unlikely, Direct Sales UPC included in a Boxed Set
Batman & Robin Adventures #6: Would fill gap between #5 and #7 DCUs
Batman: Shadow of the Bat #50: Part of the gap between #49 DCU to #52 DCU
Catwoman #33: Unlikely (All Catwoman DCUs post #19 released as part of a box set, e.g. #31, 32, and 36)
Flash #113: Part of the gap between #110 DCU to #114 DCU
Guy Gardner: Warrior #42: Last known DCU is #27
Impulse #13: Impulse #14-16 DCUs exist
Justice League Task Force #34: Last known DCU is #32
Legionnaires #36: Last known DCU is #33
Robin #29: Would fill gap between #28 and #30 DCUs
Steel #26: Part of the gap between #24 DCU to #28 DCU
Superboy #27: Part of the gap between #24 DCU to #29 DCU
Superman: Man of Steel #56: Part of the gap between #53 DCU to #57 DCU
Wonder Woman #109: Last known DCU is #106

This is an interesting month because the only known DCU is DC vs. Marvel #4, possibly for similar reasons to those stated above.  Several issues would fill in the gaps between otherwise unbroken short runs.  If any other UPC variants exist for May 1996, I would say that Batman & Robin Adventures, Robin, and possibly Animaniacs are the most likely possibilities.

Potential June 1996 DCU/UPC Variants
(14 Known DCUs, 3 of which confirmed from a box set)

Azrael #18: Unlikely due to boxed set releases; part of the gap between #16 DCU to #19 DCU
Batman: Shadow of the Bat #51: Part of the gap between #49 DCU to #52 DCU
Catwoman #34: Unlikely (All Catwoman DCUs post #19 released as part of a box set, e.g. #31, 32, and 36)
Green Lantern #74: Part of the gap between #70 DCU to #75 DCU; unlikely as #75 DCU was part of a boxed set
Green Lantern, Annual #5: Legends/Dead Earth title
Guy Gardner: Warrior #43: Last known DCU is #27
Justice League America #111: Part of the gap between #108 DCU to #112 DCU
Justice League Task Force #35: Last known DCU is #32
Legionnaires #37: Last known DCU is #33
Steel #27: Part of the gap between #24 DCU to #28 DCU
Superboy #28: Part of the gap between #24 DCU to #29 DCU
Supergirl, Annual #1: Legends/Dead Earth title
Superman #112: Part of the gap between #109 DCU to #113 DCU 
Wonder Woman #110: Last known DCU is #106

There are enough DCUs known this month that it’s entirely possible they’ve all been found.  Of the remainder, I would say a Justice League or a Super-title would make the most sense, as well as being really limited as they would almost certainly only have been released as 2 packs.

In conclusion, although there are a number of potential ‘missing’ DCUs from the first half of 1996, realistically there are probably extremely few, if any, that actually exist that haven’t been found yet.  I do think it may be worth keeping an eye out for a few specific titles in particular, especially in Batman & Robin Adventures, Animaniacs, Justice League-related, and Superman-related titles.

If you’re interested in previous speculation regarding July to December 1996, you can find it here.

I agree it would be pretty frustrating to be on the lookout for ones that might exist but have not been found.   Superman 95, Superman Man of Steel 49, Adventures of Superman 530 were all thought to exist.  I've been watching those three issues on ebay every morning for 12 years and have yet to see a DCU pop up for those issues.