• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel film & TV rights shell game - who owns what?
5 5

345 posts in this topic

UPDATE: Mephisto confirmed as being part of the Ghost Rider universe (added as News Article #2).

Mephisto Confirmed for the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

:insane:

CONFIRMED:

20th Century Fox

Marvel Studios

Sony Pictures

Universal Pictures

UNCONFIRMED/UNCLEAR

So Marvel TV accounts for all Marvel properties, whether live or animated?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Television

And they work exclusively with ABC as part of the Disney Production family?

Hulk ABC TV series news

SHIELD ABC TV series news

Or can Marvel TV work with any TV station with its properties?

Will Marvel at any point get back any of those characters ? or do they own them for movie rights indefinitely ?
DareDevil was released in 2003.

Because they never made another one,the DD film rights went back to Marvel/Disney in 2012.

Fox & Sony have to keep making their Marvel films so they can still keep the film rights.

As of now Fox still retains the rights. I believe Marvel's idea was for Fox to keep Daredevil and give Marvel Galactus. Fox said, take Daredvil back we want to keep Galactus.

Marvel wound up with Daredevil. Poor Daredevil...

I can tell you this... if Marvel landed the rights back to Galactus we would have seen him in Guardians

UPDATE - added Galactus and Silver Surfer

CONFIRMED:

20th Century Fox

• Fantastic Four: Doctor Doom/Victor von Doom, Human Torch/Johnny Storm, Invisible Woman/Susan Storm, Mr. Fantastic/Dr. Reed Richards, The Thing/Ben Grimm, Nova/Frankie Raye, Alicia Masters, Willie Lumpkin
  • Galactus, Silver Surfer

• X-Men Mutants: [Agent Zero/Maverick/David North], Angel/Warren Worthington III, Arclight/Phillippa Sontag, Beast/Dr. Henry Phillip “Hank” McCoy, [blob/Frederick J. Dukes], [bolt/Christopher Bradley], Callisto, Colossus/Piotr Nikolaievitch Rasputin, Cyclops/Scott Summers, [Deadpool/Wade Wilson], Emma (Grace) Frost, Jean Grey/Phoenix, Juggernaut/Cain Marko, Gambit/Remy LeBeau, Glob Herman/Herman Gardner, Iceman/Bobby Drake, Jubilee/Jubilation Lee, Katherine “Kitty” Anne Pryde, [Kestrel/John Wraith], Lady Deathstrike/Yuriko Oyama, Leech, Magneto/Erik Magnus Lehnsherr, Mastermind/Jason (Wyngarde), Multiple Man/James Arthur Madrox, Mystique/Raven Darkholme, Nightcrawler/Kurt Wagner, Phat/William Robert “Billy-Bob” Reilly, Professor Charles Xavier, Psylocke/Elizabeth “Betsy” Braddock, Pyro/St. John Allerdyce, Quill/Max Jordan, Rogue/(Anna) Marie, Sabretooth/Victor Creed, Sebastian Hiram Shaw, [silver Fox], Siryn/Theresa Rourke Cassidy, (The) Spike, Storm/Ororo Munroe, Wolverine/Logan

• X-Men Non-Mutants: Drake Family (Steven, Madeline, Ronny), Grey Family (Dr. John, Elaine), Henry Peter Gyrich, Robert Edward Kelly, Dr. Moira Kinross MacTaggert, Dr. Kavita Rao, William Stryker, Bolivar Trask, Warren Worthington II

Sony Pictures

• Spider-Man: Spider-Man/Peter Parker, Doctor Octopus/Otto Octavius, Green Goblin/Norman Osborn, (New) Green Goblin/Harry Osborn, [The Lizard]/Dr. Curt Connors, Sandman/Flint Marko, Venom/Eddie Brock Jr., Betty Brant, Dennis Carradine (Buglar), J. Jonah Jameson, Ben Parker, May Parker, John Jameson, Joseph “Robbie” Robertson, Gwen Stacy, Mendel Stromm, Flash Thompson

Marvel Studios - properties reverted back to Marvel control

• Daredevil: Daredevil/Matt Murdock, The Kingpin/Wilson Fisk, Bullseye, Jack Murdock, Karen Page, Ben Urich

• Ghost Rider: Ghost Rider/Johnny Blaze, Blackheart/Legion, Phantom Rider/Carter Slade, Abigor, Gressil, Mephistopheles, Wallow, Barton Blaze, Roxanne Simpson

• Powerman

• Punisher: The Punisher/Frank Castle, Jigsaw/Billy Russoti, Microchip/Linus Liberman, Joan the Mouse, Maginty, Mr. Bumpo, Spacker Dave, The Russian, Maria Elizabeth Castle, Detective Martin Soap

• Vampires: Blade, Deacon Frost, Dracula/Vlad Tepes

• Non-Vampires: Hannibal King, Abraham Whistler

UNCONFIRMED:

• Cable

• Elektra: Christine Cord/Tatoo, Typhoid Mary/Marry Alice Walker, Kirigi, Stick, Stone

• Namor

As of now Fox still retains the rights. I believe Marvel's idea was for Fox to keep Daredevil and give Marvel Galactus. Fox said, take Daredvil back we want to keep Galactus.

I can tell you this... if Marvel landed the rights back to Galactus we would have seen him in Guardians

Man, that would have been incredible to see. A real example of Galactus, non-gaseous.

Wait - I meant he wouldn't be a cloud. Not that Galactus....

Oh geez, that's pretty in depth. I was under the impression that Disney had everything except Spider-man, Fantastic Four, and X-men. I never really considered how all the individual characters affect that. Sheesh,

I just hope they figure this out soon. Fantastic Four and Daredevil need to be remade to save those franchises in my opinion. Affleck ruined Daredevil and especially Bullseye, FF was average at best.

Fantastic Four and Daredevil need to be remade to save those franchises in my opinion. Affleck ruined Daredevil and especially Bullseye, FF was average at best.

Other way around for me: Daredevil was average, FF 1 and 2 were a complete and utter disaster.

Interesting article on the Galactus and Silver Surfer movie rights (someone asked via PM).

Could the real Galactus turn up in one of Marvel's upcoming movies?

As of 8/6/12, Fox Studios owned the movie rights to both characters, most probably tied in with the Fantastic Four franchise.

saying that Fox is in no hurry to give away Galactus, who's a "cornerstone" villain for the Fantastic Four.

This line from that article makes me :pullhair:

If those I*diots at Fox thought he was such a key character why did they replace him with a cloud???

Man, that would have been incredible to see. A real example of Galactus, non-gaseous.

Wait - I meant he wouldn't be a cloud. Not that Galactus....

I wondered why you weren't keen on Galactus! Yeah, gaseous Galactus would be lame. Original Galactus would be awesome to see on the big screen.

Hopefully Fox will do a proper Surfer movie.

I would also venture to guess that since Fox had the rights to Daredevil and Elektra as a spin-off property that once the rights to Daredevil reverted back to Marvel, Elektra did too.

I would also venture to guess that since Fox had the rights to Daredevil and Elektra as a spin-off property that once the rights to Daredevil reverted back to Marvel, Elektra did too.

From some of the articles posted, even some of the Marvel executives are not clear on that one.

And I would love to see Elektra again on film. Jennifer Garner - amazing. But the heavy focus on the wonderkid was too much for that -script, and not enough on Elektra.

UPDATE - Elektra movie rights

CONFIRMED:

20th Century Fox

• Elektra: Christine Cord/Tatoo, Typhoid Mary/Marry Alice Walker, Kirigi, Stick, Stone

• Fantastic Four: Doctor Doom/Victor von Doom, Human Torch/Johnny Storm, Invisible Woman/Susan Storm, Mr. Fantastic/Dr. Reed Richards, The Thing/Ben Grimm, Nova/Frankie Raye, Alicia Masters, Willie Lumpkin
  • Galactus, Silver Surfer

• X-Men Mutants: [Agent Zero/Maverick/David North], Angel/Warren Worthington III, Arclight/Phillippa Sontag, Beast/Dr. Henry Phillip “Hank” McCoy, [blob/Frederick J. Dukes], [bolt/Christopher Bradley], Callisto, Colossus/Piotr Nikolaievitch Rasputin, Cyclops/Scott Summers, [Deadpool/Wade Wilson], Emma (Grace) Frost, Jean Grey/Phoenix, Juggernaut/Cain Marko, Gambit/Remy LeBeau, Glob Herman/Herman Gardner, Iceman/Bobby Drake, Jubilee/Jubilation Lee, Katherine “Kitty” Anne Pryde, [Kestrel/John Wraith], Lady Deathstrike/Yuriko Oyama, Leech, Magneto/Erik Magnus Lehnsherr, Mastermind/Jason (Wyngarde), Multiple Man/James Arthur Madrox, Mystique/Raven Darkholme, Nightcrawler/Kurt Wagner, Phat/William Robert “Billy-Bob” Reilly, Professor Charles Xavier, Psylocke/Elizabeth “Betsy” Braddock, Pyro/St. John Allerdyce, Quill/Max Jordan, Rogue/(Anna) Marie, Sabretooth/Victor Creed, Sebastian Hiram Shaw, [silver Fox], Siryn/Theresa Rourke Cassidy, (The) Spike, Storm/Ororo Munroe, Wolverine/Logan

• X-Men Non-Mutants: Drake Family (Steven, Madeline, Ronny), Grey Family (Dr. John, Elaine), Henry Peter Gyrich, Robert Edward Kelly, Dr. Moira Kinross MacTaggert, Dr. Kavita Rao, William Stryker, Bolivar Trask, Warren Worthington II

Sony Pictures

• Spider-Man: Spider-Man/Peter Parker, Doctor Octopus/Otto Octavius, Green Goblin/Norman Osborn, (New) Green Goblin/Harry Osborn, [The Lizard]/Dr. Curt Connors, Sandman/Flint Marko, Venom/Eddie Brock Jr., Betty Brant, Dennis Carradine (Buglar), J. Jonah Jameson, Ben Parker, May Parker, John Jameson, Joseph “Robbie” Robertson, Gwen Stacy, Mendel Stromm, Flash Thompson

Marvel Studios - properties reverted back to Marvel control

• Daredevil: Daredevil/Matt Murdock, The Kingpin/Wilson Fisk, Bullseye, Jack Murdock, Karen Page, Ben Urich

• Ghost Rider: Ghost Rider/Johnny Blaze, Blackheart/Legion, Phantom Rider/Carter Slade, Abigor, Gressil, Mephistopheles, Wallow, Barton Blaze, Roxanne Simpson

• Powerman

• Punisher: The Punisher/Frank Castle, Jigsaw/Billy Russoti, Microchip/Linus Liberman, Joan the Mouse, Maginty, Mr. Bumpo, Spacker Dave, The Russian, Maria Elizabeth Castle, Detective Martin Soap

• Vampires: Blade, Deacon Frost, Dracula/Vlad Tepes

• Non-Vampires: Hannibal King, Abraham Whistler

UNCONFIRMED:

• Cable

• Namor

From some of the articles posted, even some of the Marvel executives are not clear on that one.

And I would love to see Elektra again on film. Jennifer Garner - amazing. But the heavy focus on the wonderkid was too much for that -script, and not enough on Elektra.

I hated it too, but I figured it was a simple screenwriter way of retelling how Elektra became the Treasure as a young girl through her eyes. I might be giving this film too much credit though. lol

Kristen Pout, now most likely in "Lifetime Movie Hell" by now with no possible parole, was pretty confident that role you have to admit.

I hated it too, but I figured it was a simple screenwriter way of retelling how Elektra became the Treasure as a young girl through her eyes. I might be giving this film too much credit though. lol

Kristen Pout, now most likely in "Lifetime Movie Hell" by now with no possible parole, was pretty confident that role you have to admit.

Jerelllllllll. Where ya been, buddy?

I realize they were trying to show that passing of the torch, and at first kind of liked the focus. But it seemed to never end.