• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just saw "The Avengers"

1,087 posts in this topic

1982 was THE ultimate geek out year for cinema and I have always thought it impossible to beat. But if there was any year that had the potential 2012 could be it but that's a tall order:

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Poltergeist

Blade Runner

Tron

The Thing

E.T

The Road Warrior

48 HRS.,

Rambo! First Blood

The Dark Crystal

Conan The Barbarian

The Beastmaster

Creepshow

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Firefox

Porky's

Swamp Thing

and... MEGAFORCE!

As a 12 year old, I remember seeing the trailer for Megaforce and thinking, My life is now complete.

:facepalm:

Megaforce was the movie I chose for my birthday movie, June 30, 1982. I could not have been more pumped to see it. It blew so bad that I almost had no words to describe it. Even to a newly minted 12 year old it was so unbelievably boring and bad. I can't think of anything else in the history of mankind that had such a huge delta between how awesome i thought it was going to be and how horrific it actually was. {Insert joke about me banging someone's mom}

I can say "Deeds not words" to my little brother and he will still crack up. Also, I have cut up at least 20 comics that have the back page ad for Megaforce to hide where my brother would find them later.

You didnt videotape this, post it on Youtube and call it art??? :baiting:

Guest Grails
1982 was THE ultimate geek out year for cinema and I have always thought it impossible to beat. But if there was any year that had the potential 2012 could be it but that's a tall order:

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Poltergeist

Blade Runner

Tron

The Thing

E.T

The Road Warrior

48 HRS.,

Rambo! First Blood

The Dark Crystal

Conan The Barbarian

The Beastmaster

Creepshow

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Firefox

Porky's

Swamp Thing

and... MEGAFORCE!

As a 12 year old, I remember seeing the trailer for Megaforce and thinking, My life is now complete.

:facepalm:

Megaforce was the movie I chose for my birthday movie, June 30, 1982. I could not have been more pumped to see it. It blew so bad that I almost had no words to describe it. Even to a newly minted 12 year old it was so unbelievably boring and bad. I can't think of anything else in the history of mankind that had such a huge delta between how awesome i thought it was going to be and how horrific it actually was.

Couldn't have said it better. I highly recommend seeing the Mystery Science Theater showing of Megaforce though.

Just saw a press screening of the Avengers. Not bad. Best version of the Hulk, certainly.

I'll say no more, don't want to spoil it.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

99% of reviews have said, "mind-blowingly awesome...I give it a 10 out of 5 stars" so I fully expect some people to have lukewarm-to-negative reviews just to have themselves stand out.

;)

Peace,

Chip

Yeah, that's it - I'm not drooling all over this film because I'm a contrarian and an egomaniac. The movie is quite simply awesome. How dare anyone say otherwise. ;)

Guest Grails
How did we get from the Avengers to this? doh!

Fine, I'm going to go and start my own Megaforce thread. An Official one.

Don't be surprised if no one follows. A drunk monkey with a $199 Sony camera could make a more compelling motion picture.

:o:roflmao:

I can't believe I've never heard of this movie. That scene is frikkin' terrible!!!

I have to go by myself, my grand daughters have zero interest and my grandson lives in Denver. He really wants my comic collection and keeps asking how long my father and grandfather lived. It makes me so proud.

There is just something about the messy, quirky, soap operaish aspect of Marvel Comics, that translate to the big screen well, especially now that special effects are so advanced. Can't wait to see it.

The best thing about Marvel for me was the serialized soap operatic elements. The fantastic was the set design. The characters loving & fighting each other was the reason for reading.

Just like the Boards.

Can't believe TBH can't score a lousy date.

The best thing about Marvel for me was the serialized soap operatic elements. The fantastic was the set design. The characters loving & fighting each other was the reason for reading.

Just like the Boards.

Can't believe TBH can't score on a lousy date.

Fixed that for you.