• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heroes Mini-Con Charlotte NC Saturday January 31st

24 posts in this topic

Heck of an artist line-up for a one day show!

NATALIE ANDREWSON

PAUL AZACETA

AL BIGLEY

CHRIS BRUNNER

J CHRIS CAMPBELL

JOEL CARROLL

RICH CASE

BRIDGIT CONNELL

JOEY ELLIS

SANFORD GREENE

CULLY HAMNER

SANDY JARRELL

JASON LATOUR

KEVIN MELLON

DREW MOSS

STEVE NILES

BUDD ROOT

ANDY SMITH

BRIAN STELFREEZE

ROBERT ULLMAN

MATT WILSON

KELLY YATES

Full Dealer List

501st Carolina Garrison - Charlotte, NC

AB Comics & Collectibles - Germanton, NC

Acme Comics - Greensboro, NC

Amazing Heroes - NC

Apocalypse Comics - N. Myrtle Beach, SC

Baby Rabiez - Asheville, NC

Black Dog Collectables - Richmond, VA

Borderlands Comics - Greenville, SC

Burke Street Comics - Winston-Salem, NC

Cards, Comics & Collectibles - Baltimore, MD

Carolina Ghostbusters w/ Ecto1 - Charlotte, NC

CLam Originals - Charlotte, NC

Columbia Comics - Columbia, SC

Comic Lock - Charlotte, NC

Dale Hoffman - Roanoke, VA

Dave's Comics & Collectibles - Fort Mill, SC

David Burns - Granite Falls, NC

David Shankle - Elizabethton, TN

Fine Print Shoppe - Miami, FL

Heroes & Dragons - Columbia, SC

Heroes Aren't Hard to Find - Charlotte, NC

Hey Kids! Comics - Simpsonville, SC

Jason Hamlin - Richmond, VA

Jim Walls - Avondale Estates, GA

John Bruhn - Greenville, SC

Karl Terrana - Concord, NC

Keith Bagwell & Mark Roper - Greenville, SC

Klingon Assault Group - NC

Lou Kizer - Charleston, SC

Lyn Anderson - Raleigh, NC

Mario's Comics - Marietta, GA

New World Toys & Collectibles - Clayton, NC

Nomadic Hearts - Charlotte, NC

Outer Rim Toys & Collectibles / Out of the Toy Box Jewelry - Smithville, NC

Painted Visions - Woodbridge, VA

Park Circle Comics - N. Charleston, SC

Patrick Sullivan - Plaistow, NH

Popcycled Baubles - N. Charleston, SC

Purgatory Comics - Morristown, TN

Reggie's Comics / Rebel Base - Charlotte, NC

Rick Fortenberry - Charlotte, NC

Richard's Comics & Collectibles - Greenville, SC

Russ Garwood - Raleigh, NC

Second Harvest Food Bank - Charlotte, NC

Ssalefish Comics - Lewisville, NC

Steve Smith's Comics - Winston-Salem, NC

Stormcrow - High Point, NC

Supah! Comics - Charlotte, NC

Triangle Cards - Wake Forest,NC

Ultimate Comics - Durham, NC

I've never understood the idea of a 1 day show? You go through all that hoopla of lugging your books around and setting up for what 5,6 hours of show and that's it? I just don't get it.

So you don't understand the point of me driving an hour, hanging out with a bunch of like-minded people, getting early admission into a con to get some quality picking done and making well over $1k for my troubles?!? You obviously have never done a show.

I've never understood the idea of a 1 day show? You go through all that hoopla of lugging your books around and setting up for what 5,6 hours of show and that's it? I just don't get it.

So you don't understand the point of me driving an hour, hanging out with a bunch of like-minded people, getting early admission into a con to get some quality picking done and making well over $1k for my troubles?!? You obviously have never done a show.

not for $1k and there's more to it than just "driving an hour"; unless of course you're selling out of the back of your car.

There's something to be said for just being able to geek out for a day. Not all about the $, although that is great. I've done shows where I didn't make much money, but seeing people's eyes light up when they find something they've been searching for makes for a good day. At one show last year, there was a kid (like 9 or so) who was into ROM. He was agonizing over which Rom books to buy from my $1 bin with his $5. He looked at nearly every copy of the near full run I had and picked one and I gave home 2 more. He came back later agonizing again. I asked him how much $ did he have in his pocket - $4, he said. I gave him every Rom I had (about 60 or more books) for his $4. He about fell over with glee. That, makes a one day show worth it. Oh, plus I spent the entire show with my youngest boy selling books at my side. That, also makes it worth it.

You also have to consider the extra costs. Three more meals, an extra day to rent a van, an extra day to pay your help, etc. Two day shows don't necessarily equate to double your money. And some places just can't support it.

+1

There's something to be said for just being able to geek out for a day. Not all about the $, although that is great. I've done shows where I didn't make much money, but seeing people's eyes light up when they find something they've been searching for makes for a good day. At one show last year, there was a kid (like 9 or so) who was into ROM. He was agonizing over which Rom books to buy from my $1 bin with his $5. He looked at nearly every copy of the near full run I had and picked one and I gave home 2 more. He came back later agonizing again. I asked him how much $ did he have in his pocket - $4, he said. I gave him every Rom I had (about 60 or more books) for his $4. He about fell over with glee. That, makes a one day show worth it. Oh, plus I spent the entire show with my youngest boy selling books at my side. That, also makes it worth it.

Definitely

+1

+1

No I just call a spade a spade. You're forgetting:

1) Booth Cost

2) Food Cost

3) Time/Effort into setting up, possible risk/damage for a 5,6 hour show.

4) Gas cost

5) truck cost (?)

6) hotel cost (?)

and even somehow if you netted $1k after incurring all these expenses it still wouldn't be worth it for only 5,6 hours of show time. At least for me.