• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sam Rami Admits he screwed up Spiderman 3

62 posts in this topic

http://blogs.canoe.ca/projectionist/movies/i-messed-up-plenty-sam-raimi-on-spider-man-3/

Almost eight years after Sam Raimi unveiled Spider-Man 3 to the world, the director admits he made more than a few boo-boos.

Speaking with Chris Hardwick on The Nerdist Podcast this past week, Raimi agreed that the universally panned film was just slightly better than atrocious.

“I messed up plenty with the third Spider-Man,” Raimi said. “It’s a movie that just didn’t work very well.”

That may just be the understatement of the decade.

From a grinning and dancing Peter Parker to Tobey Maguire’s emo styled hair, Spider-Man 3 felt more like a satirical farce on the entire franchise than a new installment.

Raimi told Hardwick that each Spider-Man movie had its own set of difficulties, and with the third entry, he just didn’t believe in the characters or the story they were trying to tell.

“I tried to make it work, but I didn’t really believe in all the characters, so that can’t be hidden from someone who really loves Spider-Man.”

On top of not believing in what he was shooting, Raimi also confessed that he felt pressure from the studio to create the best and biggest super-hero film the world had ever seen. All just one year before Marvel would debut their Iron Man and begin constructing their cinematic universe.

“I think that’s what doomed us in the end,” Raimi said, referencing the pressure felt.

No matter what wrong ingredients may have been added to the boiling pot by accident, the result was still calamitous. It derailed the entire franchise and turned a celebrated character into the butt of a pop culture joke. It wasn’t until 2012 that Sony was willing to try again with a whole new cast and crew.

It's one of the few I've only watched once. I was looking to see if I had it on DVD and I think I might've even skipped buying it....

What I remember... is that it was overly ambitious and a bit disoriented in it's story telling. Topher Grace will always be Eric Forman to me. Not really a fan of Venom. The dance scene was... not a good idea. And the concept of Sandman being the one who killed Uncle Ben and then Spider-man forgives him and let's him go free because he feels sorry for him, almost made me ill.

And the concept of Sandman being the one who killed Uncle Ben and then Spider-man forgives him and let's him go free because he feels sorry for him, almost made me ill.

I completely agree -- there might not have been anything they could have done in that film that was any more wrong in respect to the character than that was.

Compare what we saw in the film to this classic scene from ASM #200 -- SM's rematch with his uncle's killer -- and it's painful with how they butchered it in SM3.

k7DRfxv.jpg?2

It's one of the few I've only watched once. I was looking to see if I had it on DVD and I think I might've even skipped buying it....

What I remember... is that it was overly ambitious and a bit disoriented in it's story telling. Topher Grace will always be Eric Forman to me. Not really a fan of Venom. The dance scene was... not a good idea. And the concept of Sandman being the one who killed Uncle Ben and then Spider-man forgives him and let's him go free because he feels sorry for him, almost made me ill.

I saw it twice. The second time I was on a plane and was sort of forced to watch it. I turned to my wife and said maybe I'll enjoy it more the second time. I didn't!

My daughter always asks about it since I'm a big Spider-Man fan and she's never seen it. I've been tempted to buy it now that it has appeared in the $5 bins but I still can't bring myself to do it.

The entire Sandman thing was atrocious. On top of that, Topher Grace was AWFUL casting. The entire Venom story just felt rushed. Then you throw on top of that Harry as whatever the hell he was and you have an awful film. Oh and don't forget they also created some odd love triangle with a rushed Gwen Stacy.

God it is coming back to me and I'm just getting more angry!

Horrible film…

I saw it twice. The second time I was on a plane and was sort of forced to watch it. I turned to my wife and said maybe I'll enjoy it more the second time. I didn't!

My daughter always asks about it since I'm a big Spider-Man fan and she's never seen it. I've been tempted to buy it now that it has appeared in the $5 bins but I still can't bring myself to do it.

The entire Sandman thing was atrocious. On top of that, Topher Grace was AWFUL casting. The entire Venom story just felt rushed. Then you throw on top of that Harry as whatever the hell he was and you have an awful film. Oh and don't forget they also created some odd love triangle with a rushed Gwen Stacy.

God it is coming back to me and I'm just getting more angry!

Horrible film…

Maybe this will take your mind off of it:

but yet everybody finds that movie superior to Garfield`s ASM 2. :facepalm:

After watching the 3rd movie, I didn't even bother with the ASM movies.

:o

I assure you that the two Garfield Spider-Man movies were of superior quality compared to the last Sam Rami/Tobey Maguire Spider-Man movie.

Completely disagree.

In my opinion, Tobey is still a better Peter Parker, the acting is still better throughout, and the movie is grounded in a better overall universe from the first two Raimi movies.

The last two Garfield movies are in a bizarro world of their own with some non-sensical sub-plots, TMNT style special effects, and cringe worthy over acting. If as a part of the Sony leaks, I'd have found out it was actually written as a PARODY, I'd TOTALLY get it.

It'd still need a few more obvious jokes, and maybe some bathroom humor, but otherwise, it's already there.

Unfortunately they wrote that garbage with a straight face.

I'd watch S3 before ever watching ASM or ASM2 again.

I would love to get an apology for the third X-Men film.
If it makes you feel better I don't believe it's part of continuity anymore.
It is part of the continuity, it's just on another timeline, as the original series is to the new Star Trek movies. Logan still felt the relief of seeing Jean again and the to some extent Scott, in his It's a Wonderful Life moment. Singer just righted some character wrongs moving forward.

Whatever happened to Allan Cumming's as Nightcrawler behind the scenes? Does anyone know why he never returned to the franchise?

I would love to get an apology for the third X-Men film.
If it makes you feel better I don't believe it's part of continuity anymore.
It is part of the continuity, it's just on another timeline, as the original series is to the new Star Trek movies. Logan still felt the relief of seeing Jean again and the to some extent Scott, in his It's a Wonderful Life moment. Singer just righted some character wrongs moving forward.

Whatever happened to Allan Cumming's as Nightcrawler behind the scenes? Does anyone know why he never returned to the franchise?

I was a big fan of X-Men 1 and 2. 3 was a gigantic disappointment. Even worse IMO was the fact that Singer did not return in order to shoot Superman Returns. I really enjoyed DOFP, loved that Singer moved the events of 3 out of the main timeline.

I think I remember reading somewhere that Allan Cumming didn't want to go through the make-up process again.

I loved the first two Raimi Spider-man movies. I agree that 3 felt rushed and the casting of Eddie Brock/Venom was terrible. When they re-booted the franchise I was very hesitant to watch it, but after I did I kinda liked the first movie. I was extremely excited to see them announce Paul Giamatti as The Rhino...but was even more extremely disappointed when I saw the movie. Hopefully someone will get this franchise back on track.