• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Five Superheroes That Shouldn't Get Their Own Movie!

23 posts in this topic

Sandman could be epic as a series of animated films.

I actually enjoyed the Thomas Jane Punisher as well as the follow up fan film he made called Dirty Laundry.

The list of someone who lacks imagination. I know nothing about Rogue, but good movies could be made with any of those characters, or really any character period. The list should have been at least about characters who are so annoying or ridiculous that there would be expected difficulty in transferring them successfully to the screen.

I can see an argument being made for half of the entries in the list... the one that sort of baffles me is the Punisher. Sure, three relatively low budget movies have been made - and all respect to Thomas Jane, but lets admit it - with no real star material unless you count John Travolta as a crappy villain.

If the studio were serious about it, I think they could find a director and give him a budget to do a solid job, but that is of course the argument about all of these entries... except Hawkman. No one wants to see that.

As with anything, it's all about the talent you bring to the table. The talent behind the camera is just as important, if not more, than the actors. Get a great director directing Punisher and you'll have a huge hit. Guaranteed.

My thoughts? How about "Writers who shouldn't get their own articles." And where do they come up with these sites? "wallstreetcheatsheet" ?? Really? Give me a break.

I can agree with Punisher not getting a movie. It just doesn't work in that format. He needs a TV show, and his story broke down into arcs for people who are into vigilante/police procedurals.

The Punisher in a two hour film doesn't allow enough time to build things up, or to understanding the drive behind his war on crime. I think that's why the films have failed - because they didn't have time to connect with audiences. But, with a TV show, they could spend some time working on all the things that make the Punisher a great character.

I'd love to see a no-name Punisher given 10 episodes to see if they can make it stick. I'd much rather see that than another go at a movie. I really hope he shows up on Daredevil at some point, and they don't attempt to put him on AOS.

I can agree with Punisher not getting a movie. It just doesn't work in that format. He needs a TV show, and his story broke down into arcs for people who are into vigilante/police procedurals.

The Punisher in a two hour film doesn't allow enough time to build things up, or to understanding the drive behind his war on crime. I think that's why the films have failed - because they didn't have time to connect with audiences. But, with a TV show, they could spend some time working on all the things that make the Punisher a great character.

I'd love to see a no-name Punisher given 10 episodes to see if they can make it stick. I'd much rather see that than another go at a movie. I really hope he shows up on Daredevil at some point, and they don't attempt to put him on AOS.

A Punisher movie is basically just a vigilante movie - like westerns, that genre had a time and a place in the past. There's no reason that time couldn't come again.

Having said that... I do think the story of 'fighting back against criminals because no one else will' can only really hit hard if society is primed for it... It is no surprise to me that Charles Bronson's Death Wish and the 1st appearance of the Punisher both showed up in 1974. I guess show me a society worried about rising crime and I'll show you a society were the Punisher movie can work?

Anyway, I'd still like to see it... I actually enjoyed two of the three Punisher movies. None were great films, but they had their moments.

A Punisher movie is basically just a vigilante movie - like westerns, that genre had a time and a place in the past. There's no reason that time couldn't come again.

Having said that... I do think the story of 'fighting back against criminals because no one else will' can only really hit hard if society is primed for it... It is no surprise to me that Charles Bronson's Death Wish and the 1st appearance of the Punisher both showed up in 1974. I guess show me a society worried about rising crime and I'll show you a society were the Punisher movie can work?

Anyway, I'd still like to see it... I actually enjoyed two of the three Punisher movies. None were great films, but they had their moments.

I actually think they should do Punisher as a period piece, making it super 70's, and super camp. Something along the lines of Kill Bill and/or Sin City would be fine.

I actually think they should do Punisher as a period piece, making it super 70's, and super camp. Something along the lines of Kill Bill and/or Sin City would be fine.

I could get behind that - many would see it as a weird choice though.

So, Antman is on the list at number five. The first "miniature" trailer is out and the movie is a go. I'm curious to see how it does. Honestly, I know nothing about him and only learned of his existence via the boards. That being said, I feel I may be in the majority when considering every day Joe moviegoer. Everyone knows Spidey, Supes, Bats, Captain America, etc., but not many know Antman. This movie may give some insight to who should be on a list like this.

Not many knew who the Guardians Of The Galaxy were, either.

Food for thought...

-slym

Many still don't - was this based on an actual comic book, or loose amalgamation of semi-memories? I remember te Guardians of the Galaxy, and the movie, although good, was not what I recalled.