• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What trilogy was better? Classic Star Wars or Lord of the Rings?

Best Trilogy.  

366 members have voted

1. 1. Best Trilogy.

111 posts in this topic

As blasphemous as it may seem to some, I chose LOTR.

"The Hobbit" was the book I learned to read on, when I was 4 years old. As much as my 6-YO self loved the first SW movie, it didn't "stick with me" like Tolkien's works did. I had read the entire LOTR trilogy before I was 10, and had read it through 3 time before I was old enough to drive.

:)

-slym

Perhaps Star Wars( the first movie I ever saw; in 1979) was a ahead of its time. I mean computer graphics have really done justice to the special effects in LOTR. [Think Helms Deep]

Really great books highly recommend for those may not have enjoyed ever.

Close call though

I don't think people who did not see Star Wars in the theatre can imagine the experience, at least for this 10 year old at the time. My kids left LoTR and maybe talked about it a bit (certainly not as much as they talk about the Hunger Games trilogy) but my brother and I and all my friends played Star Wars all the time after seeing the movie and arguements about who was better, Luke or Han, could break out at any time in any place. (My mother told my older brother and I when leaving the original that Han and Leia were the real couple, not Luke and Leia. Mom knows best!)

And Return of the Jedi may have Ewoks, but the chase scenes on that planet are awesome (and changed movies forever technology-wise) and the movie has more good points than bad. It only suffers because Empire was awesome sauce from beginning to end. And Ewoks don't get as many point deductions as the fifty end scenes in LoTR, that went on forever and was poor movie-making - make a decision for darn sake!

I have seen both trilogies in the theater and LotR wins hands down. There are just too many powerful scenes in LotR.

The death of Boromir and the people of Middle Earth bowing to the hobbits at the end of Return of the King are two of the most powerful scenes in any sci-fi or fantasty movie. Not to mention the charge "For Frodo!" when surrounded by Sauron's army is simply amazing.

As blasphemous as it may seem to some, I chose LOTR.

"The Hobbit" was the book I learned to read on, when I was 4 years old. As much as my 6-YO self loved the first SW movie, it didn't "stick with me" like Tolkien's works did. I had read the entire LOTR trilogy before I was 10, and had read it through 3 time before I was old enough to drive.

:)

-slym

Pretty much the same here.I was reading Silmarillion and the Lost Tales by 11.Never did learn to drive....

The movies should have had Tom Bombadil though...that was my favourite part of all the books....Farmer Giles is choking on his ham!

Star Wars started strong and got weaker? What about Empire?

I voted Star Wars. LoTR, while I love them, don't have the same magic to me, mostly because as someone noted, it isn't an original story -- the books told it all in advance. I watched star wars on VHS --- except Jedi which I saw in the theatre. I loved Jedi, couldn't get enough of it -- sure, the Ewoks were hokey, but there were some great Luke/Vader scenes, Yoda dying, the Endor speeder bike chase and the space ship battle near the death star. That original movie from 1983 with its effects holds up even today.

Think about that -- what other group of movies from nearly 40 years ago has effects that are still pretty good to look at.