• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What trilogy was better? Classic Star Wars or Lord of the Rings?

Best Trilogy.  

366 members have voted

1. 1. Best Trilogy.

111 posts in this topic

I got these both over the Christmas season and watched them.

519zeaE0I5L.jpg

gift to self

I'm on episode 2 myself. Gearing up for E7!!! :banana: Plus my Sith Costume is almost done. NYCC here I come!!!!!

There is another :applause:

I got these both over the Christmas season and watched them.

519zeaE0I5L.jpg

gift to self

I'm on episode 2 myself. Gearing up for E7!!! :banana: Plus my Sith Costume is almost done. NYCC here I come!!!!!

ordering ... :banana:

51g-rA0575L.jpg

I voted LOTR - as much as I loved the original SW trilogy, LOTR really blew me away.

This isn't a serious discussion is it? It's a joke right? vemd93.gif

Star Wars.

Memorable characters/moments:

Star Wars

Boba Fett

Darth Vader

Han Solo

Chewbacca

C-3PO & R2-D2

Yoda

"Luke, I'm your father."

Carrie Fisher in the slave outfit :luhv:

Lightsabers

Han Solo frozen in Carbonite

The Millenium Falcon

LOTR

Gollum

"My Precious"

One of these trilogies left lasting childhood memories that can instantly transport a grown man back to his childhood. Led to tons of toys and collectibles. Left both children and adults dressing up as characters from it still to this day.

The other didn't.

Are there any major characters or moments in LOTR that will be as significant as there were in Star Wars 30 years from now? Star Wars is part of American pop culture history. LOTR was just a good movie trilogy. People that haven't watched the movies can spot a character and say - "Look! Darth Vader!" How many could say "Woh! It's Legolas!"

(shrug)

One of these trilogies left lasting childhood memories that can instantly transport a grown man back to his childhood. Led to tons of toys and collectibles. Left both children and adults dressing up as characters from it still to this day.

The other didn't.

Are there any major characters or moments in LOTR that will be as significant as there were in Star Wars 30 years from now? Star Wars is part of American pop culture history. LOTR was just a good movie trilogy. People that haven't watched the movies can spot a character and say - "Look! Darth Vader!" How many could say "Woh! It's Legolas!"

(shrug)

Wow. What's getting left out is the LOTR trilogy is one of the best selling literary works of ALL TIME. Continuously making "top" lists. So odds are "30 years from now"...

That, and LOTR fans don't hate its creator. :insane:

The other didn't.

(shrug)

Wow. What's getting left out is the LOTR trilogy is one of the best selling literary works of ALL TIME. Continuously making "top" lists. So odds are "30 years from now"...

I think much of the support for LoTR on this poll is coming from memories of the books and not necessarily the movies. People have even mentioned The Hobbit when talking about the LoTR movies as if somehow that is relevant; it just shows the co-mingling of these properties in the mind but doesn't really address the movies themselves.

The other didn't.

(shrug)

I was a big fan of the LOTR's books, but we are talking movies, not books.

When I first saw Star Wars I was completely blown away, I could watch it over and over. LOTR I really enjoyed, but although I did watch the first one twice, I could stand just so much of Golum. At least the EWOKS didn't give you the creeps;)

I could watch Gandolf again, though...both great series, but to me, Star Wars started it all.

I think much of the support for LoTR on this poll is coming from memories of the books and not necessarily the movies. People have even mentioned The Hobbit when talking about the LoTR movies as if somehow that is relevant; it just shows the co-mingling of these properties in the mind but doesn't really address the movies themselves.

Probably.

As for the movies...As a kid NBC used to do an annual showing of "Wizard of Oz". It was a big event, pop the corn and everybody gather 'round. LOTR as replaced that tradition. Annual viewing during the holidays is a highlight I look forward to all year long. :cloud9:

The other didn't.

(shrug)

I'm just comparing the movie trilogies.

I have seen all LOTR movies 5 or 10 times each

StarWars not so much...hey every body look at the sheetrock go flying by

The dividing line will probably fall on "childhood memories".

As a slightly older viewer Star Wars started off very strong and then seemed to slowly devolve into children's fare. That final scene was...ugh. They'd have to try hard to get any more "Disney Themepark" than they managed.

The other didn't.

(shrug)

Well, the Tolkien family is on record as disliking the movies...and since Christopher is credited with bringing some collaboration on the books, you could say one of the creators of LoTR hates the movies! I would say that is far more damning.

This was tough. I came at the angle of the trilogy as a whole and gave the edge to LOTR. That being said, nothing comes close to the magic of the 1977 Star Wars for my 11 year old self. I just watched Empire again the other night. Still great, but I feel Lucas was changing the story on the fly. I know there is revisionist history now.

Another cool thing I got this fall was a friend of mine gave me the DVD of the original Star Wars that we saw in 1977. Han naturally shoots first. lol

I will say that I commented more than once when the LOTR movies came out that it was the closest movie experience for me that harkened back to my youth. Didn't think I'd recapture that magic again.