• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gem City Comic Convention - March 28 & March 29 - Dayton OH

34 posts in this topic

Looks like there is a good chance I will be driving down to check out this show. Look for the tall good looking guy and I'll probably be right next to him grabbing all the sweet books.

Herb Trimpe cancelled. This show is a train wreck.

As long as the dealers show up I'm good. Less people to contend with the better.

I bet it's a good show. No D list celebs or $50 entrence fees. Just some hard workin' guys from the heartland and an arena full of comics. I like it. Tomorrow will be a glorious day. :cloud9:

Yes. There will be lots of good comics to buy.

Herb Trimpe cancelled. This show is a train wreck.

couldn't believe he bailed also...saw the sign on the wall when I walked in....bonus was Craig Boldman was there (he wasn't advertised as being there and he said he forgot to check to see if he was listed on the website), I like talking to him about Archie comics. Picked up a couple of his digitally drawn Doctor Who cards.

Heard a rumor that the reason Liefeld canceled was that principal filming on the Deadpool movie started and he wanted to be there to watch the process.

Hope that's not true, Gem City is a solid con and deserves better.

Pretty sweet comic con yesterday. The lack of big name artist didn't keep the comic fans away at all since the place was packed all day. And best of all - pretty much everyone walking around was carrying a large bag full of comics. The selection of books was ok for a smaller con. Deal of the day was a Fantastic Four 67 in VG for $14.50! Cosplay people were out in full force but not enough to cause congestion.

Best part of the day was running into Roy of all people. I thought he was at Seattle so I thought he had a twin but it turned out to be the myth himself. Sadly no leather pants:(. We were both on our way out when I saw him but it was great being able to say hi.

It was a great show, it kinda sad that the cancellation of a couple of people made some think it make the show turn out bad, it didn't. But on that note, it kinda sucky that caused no one from CGC to attend, left a number of people high and dry.

Here is how I spent my weekend there.

Best part of the day was running into Roy of all people. I thought he was at Seattle so I thought he had a twin but it turned out to be the myth himself. Sadly no leather pants:(. We were both on our way out when I saw him but it was great being able to say hi.

Hey Andrew, good to finally meet you. (thumbs u

I had planned on being in Seattle but one of my daughters decided to get baptized at the local church she attends at this past Sunday so that put the kibosh on my flying out West for the weekend. I factored in cost, time change and travel time to go all the way out West, and I decided to stay relatively local and was pleasantly surprised by the Gem City show.

It's growing into a decent 2 day show with quite a few vintage dealers from Ohio and surrounding area. Bill and Jesse had some nice books, John Haines was there, Pete / Comics 4 Less, Cornfield Comics and a few others.

Attendance was strong when I was there on Saturday afternoon and I bought a few things.

It was my first time attending an Ohio show in 4 or 5 years and I was pleasantly surprised.

Good job, guys! :headbang: