• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Watch my slab collection grow from scratch to BIG $$$ scratch!

292 posts in this topic

Spidervacc - I just caught that slippery slope joke. I think my journal thread has a theme! We just got new tires on the Camry,so I am still good to go this weekend!

B7-8TeaIgAA6Zy9.jpg

B7-8TeJIgAA0oPN.jpg

Purchased from a boardie. Thank you Nathan! I bring you The Defenders 26 8.5

I always loved The Defenders growing up in the 70s. I have a bunch of these as readers and they are my originals from buying them in the shelf, stuck in the slots and many crushed to the bottom at Clancy's Newstand on the corner of Beachwood Blvd. and Rt 9 in Beachwood NJ. this was before spinner racks, which is how Clancy's sold there comics for most of my later childhood. Later I would allow 7-11 to stock my collection when I worked there for a few years. That did not end well. :boo: Ah, the folly of youth.

So this is a great cover I think. Sal B and Vinnie Colletta, who'd a thunk it? nah, both of those guys were real artists and we should not judge them harshly just because Sal had a brother and Vinnie had an eraser.

More to come. Soon. I already told my wife where these will be going once this shelf gets full, which could be Sunday.

B7_xArhCIAAo3G4.jpg

B7_xAtZCEAEF_6r.jpg

SOLAR 5 9.6 white pages

This is the first of the slabs I bought from high grade comics. Thanks Bob! I saw later how plentiful this issue is in this grade but that matters not to me; Bob gave me a price I am comfortable with even AFTER I did my post-buy research. Barry Windsor-Smith only entered my awareness with Valiant Comics. I guess I had heard of his Conan but that was about it. Well admitting a mistake or an omission bred of ignorance is not usually easy for me but this was friggin' obvious. Long story short, I will have some good BWS slabs on my shelf.

Edited by Bird

Spidervacc - I just caught that slippery slope joke. I think my journal thread has a theme! We just got new tires on the Camry,so I am still good to go this weekend!

I just got new tires on the Subaru last week. Check engine lights went on and $800 later new tires and a new axle. Still not sure I am going , latest is snow all day Saturday. Its a 45 minute drive for me from Central NJ. After last Sunday morning where cars were sliding into each other all morning it will depend.

Keep the photos coming

B7_xArhCIAAo3G4.jpg

B7_xAtZCEAEF_6r.jpg

SOLAR 5 9.6 white pages

This is the first of the slabs I bought from high grade comics. Thanks Bob! I saw later how plentiful this issue is in this grade but that matters not to me; Bob gave me a price I am comfortable with even AFTER I did my post-buy research. Barry Windsor-Smith only entered my awareness with Valiant Comics. I guess I had heard of his Conan but that was about it. Well admitting a mistake or an omission bred of ignorance is not usually easy for me but this was friggin' obvious. Long story short, I will have some good BWS slabs on my shelf.

okay, a baggy bunch of replies. 3/3 reveals the wisdom of the bag I guess. But I am displaying and not planning on boxing them. But I will see if the bags distract from the display value, better safe than sorry.

I moved them off the shelf, that wasn't going to work for long. I have a running ledge around the room I am now putting them on.

B8DLMGtCYAEaRLH.jpg

That is my signed Muhammed Ali glove (I met him myself and had him sign it. Late tiny Pakinson's-influenced sig,but still...ALI!) in the corner and a recent OA acquisition above, a Winsor McCay editorial cartoon with UNcle Sam from 1932/1933.

Edited by Bird

Love the OA piece !! :) and trust us. bags may not be a big deal now but when you get enough slabs that you start rotating them "display wise" you will be glad you have them :)

well, it is my journal so here it is. I have 32 pieces of OA framed and on the walls.

ZcU9X65a_1012141443571.jpg

Here is a link to my attempt at reducing my collection to 50 truly awesome pieces of OA.

The Fifty in bird's CAF

Edited by Bird

Love the original art. Something I wish I could afford. If I could I would have some nice pieces like that around my house. Maps and globes are my favorite. I used to have globes all over my house,. Since I cant afford real art I have some framed stuff like the constitution and Declaration of independence up on my wall. Not exactly art but cool stuff.

As for the bags, if I am displaying the slab which I have 2-3 I have on my desk for display , I don't use the bag. Only put the bag on when have the slabs in the box. Again don't really think you need them but as they say, it cant hurt.

I kept the bags for future use. The OA I have been buying for 20+ years; I still remember reading a CBG and seeing that creators appeared at conventions. I called that poor woman up and asked about a guest list. She replied, well just let me know who you are looking for - that was a mistake. I started going to shows and getting my books signed. I saw Paul Ryan doing free head sketches and went to OA then and there essentially. now I am selling and consolidating which allowed me to buy that Winsor McCay - it cost me a Cerebus page I owned for 22 years and 2 BWS Rune pages but it was worth it.

Love the OA piece !! :) and trust us. bags may not be a big deal now but when you get enough slabs that you start rotating them "display wise" you will be glad you have them :)

well, it is my journal so here it is. I have 32 pieces of OA framed and on the walls.

ZcU9X65a_1012141443571.jpg

Here is a link to my attempt at reducing my collection to 50 truly awesome pieces of OA.

The Fifty in bird's CAF

simonsonmoore.jpg

Ha! Nice.

Four slabs in post office limbo. They were supposed to be here yesterday but no update since 5 am Thursday! After that I was going to say only one more on the way but I did just get two more through comiclink,including a $6 slab. Oh comiclink, bottom feeder heaven!

Four slabs in post office limbo. They were supposed to be here yesterday but no update since 5 am Thursday! After that I was going to say only one more on the way but I did just get two more through comiclink,including a $6 slab. Oh comiclink, bottom feeder heaven!
Yes it is got my first art piece fom them for a whopping $11 dollars, it was pretty funny since I saw the price written on the back for $30.

Yes it is got my first art piece fom them for a whopping $11 dollars, it was pretty funny since I saw the price written on the back for $30.

I just went through and bid on about 30 items. We shall see how I do. I usually do not do that but have some extra hobby cash right now and see some real bargains, mostly art-wise.

I just went through and bid on about 30 items. We shall see how I do. I usually do not do that but have some extra hobby cash right now and see some real bargains, mostly art-wise.

Hopefully you wont be putting that war chest up against anything I like last Clink auction you did bid me up on that Buscema Avengers page after all. lol But at least we both got one in that auction.