• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Watch my slab collection grow from scratch to BIG $$$ scratch!

292 posts in this topic

Exactly. What can you do. Slack wins.

I have been told that it is a default option on the online tracking system and not a direct lie by the postal carrier. But the clerk may just be covering for the carrier, who knows.

I guess I was lucky then my package from Dale Roberts today since if it wasn't today it would be till Thursday, or Friday. My dad works for the postal service, and told me he got a phone call from the USPS Alert System, saying all post offices would be closed in the region, including their head quarters in D.C.

I never read this but the covers are just marvelous. I may just go after these early Inhumans books, 5-10 of them would look awfully nice on the shelf there! Didn't Gil Kane do some of those covers?...I have become more and more enamored of the work of Gil Kane in the last few years. This one is by Ed Hannigan and Mike Esposito and is a great Black Bolt, innit?

B8X12LtIMAAV21Q.jpg

Edited by Bird

B8jM3QqCEAAnFsz.jpg

A big thank you to topcat54 for sending me a free slab to help jumpstart my collection. Jazzy John Romita doing Spider-Man, awesome! Thanks again T.C.!

B8jOGUNCcAAW0aA.jpg

Edited by Bird

I don't know. It is a nice book in that slab but I never read CFD myself. I have gotten many a sketch from Joe though, so I like the book to some extent. Would I take it? maybe... (shrug)

Sorry if that isn't specific but I don't know. Would I take it as my next claim? Probably not. But in the future it has a good chance I would think.

PIF is a bit slow, but I think tonight is day 4 so something has to give one way or another.

So I made my first mistake at the last comiclink auction. I bought 2 copies of the same issue. So do not be surprised to see a copy of The Defenders show up in the Pay It Forward thread as I also upgraded at the same auction! That was a mistake...two copies of the same book in different grades.

I have also made some decisions about the types of slabs I will try to focus on.

Dr. Strange and related titles such as the Defenders or even Tomb of Dracula are my priority I guess.

Early Valiant by BWS and other Barry Smith titles such as his X-Men issues and Conan if I decide to spend some cash.

Frank Miller covers: Valiant and classic Marvel/DC moreso than modern Dark Horse.

Great covers by Walt Simonson, Art Adams, Jim Steranko.

X-Men.

Cool Marvel. ASM. Inhumans. Warlock. Great Marvel covers. Kane. Romita. Purves Hulk. Sandy Plunkett.

That doesn't mean I won't get others that are just plain groovy to me,but this is the core for now. It will get refined quickly I think and I expect a fluid collection for quite a while.

Thoughts?

I would say you are doing quite well. $455 for the slabs you have gotten is a good deal.

Thanks. Some of that is because I offset the cost with trades. Some is due to the generosity of the boardies here. I am only out of pocket cash $215 and a bunch of shipping costs, and then the trade items which I was into for the remainder of that $455.

Glad to know I am doing well, or at least not very badly.

Edited by Bird

Okay, I forgot to add a trade with a boardie in my summation above. This one should get in the mail soon and will be in hand shortly. Traded for a piece of OA:

dw5c4.jpg

Thanks B!

Edited by Bird