• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crow Rebooted from Relativity Studios
3 3

159 posts in this topic

We've been discussing this off and on in the Copper Age Crow thread. It looks like they are trying to move it along, even with Luke Evans' departure.

Director Corin Hardy Wants THE CROW Reboot To Be "Emotional & Brutal"

-------------------

In December, Relativity Studios chose video music director Corin Hardy to replace F. Javier Gutiérrez as the new director of their reboot of The Crow. Hardy is at the Sundance film festival showing off his feature film debut The Hollow and while he was there he took some time to express how much of fan he is of James O'Barr's graphic novel and the original film. He also shared what he would like his version of The Crow to be.

“I also want to open the story up in such a way that the Crow is now part of a world where there are the Marvel movies and The Dark Knight movies," Hardy told Fangoria. "I intend it to be incredibly emotional and brutal, and all the things you’d want from a Crow film. I want to make a movie that I would have wanted to see, as a huge fan of The Crow.”

-------------------

It's going to be a tough road ahead to match the original movie's impact.

There's no way this is gonna be be a gothic, dark, moody atmospheric film like the first film or the graphic novel. The only way it could happen if they do it for a modest budget. But, then it runs the risk of the studio or distributor not understanding it and dumping it. I see it being made in a more "traditional" manner (like Robocop's reboot) if it has a budget, so it might have a chance playing overseas. Because of that, I hope Eric Draven continues to rest in peace after the '94 masterpiece.

I liked this idea better when Bradley Cooper was attached.

Seriously, as awful as The Crow 3 was with Kirsten Dunst, I was intrigued when Bradley Cooper had apparently chosen The Crow reboot for his follow-up to 1st Oscar nomination for Silver Linings Playbook.

Get him or Marky Mark to headline the movie and it could be a game-changer.

It's so puzzling why they want to keep making Crow movies after they were viciously ran into the ground with inferior installments. We already got three remakes with parts #2-4 (let's face it, guy gets wronged, comes back with a crow, makes the wrong things right). I really don't think the mainstream could tell the difference between Crow characters anyway as they usually tend to blend into the 2nd unit action shots after Lee set the bar so high, and you really think they would want to watch another Crow origin movie? Most likely not, no matter who they cast. If they want to save money and put out a great Crow movie, they should just touch up the '94 movie a little (some of the model shots are a bit overlit) and release a 21st Anniversary Edition in theaters. It would be a fitting tribute for O'Barr and Lee of when Hollywood got it right when taking plausible risks with a B-Movie. Forget about this remake and while you're at it forget about City of Angels, Salvation, Wicked Prayer and Stairway to Heaven as well. :)

It's so puzzling why they want to keep making Crow movies after they were viciously ran into the ground with inferior installments. We already got three remakes with parts #2-4 (let's face it, guy gets wronged, comes back with a crow, makes the wrong things right). I really don't think the mainstream could tell the difference between Crow characters anyway as they usually tend to blend into the 2nd unit action shots after Lee set the bar so high, and you really think they would want to watch another Crow origin movie? Most likely not, no matter who they cast. If they want to save money and put out a great Crow movie, they should just touch up the '94 movie a little (some of the model shots are a bit overlit) and release a 21st Anniversary Edition in theaters. It would be a fitting tribute for O'Barr and Lee of when Hollywood got it right when taking plausible risks with a B-Movie. Forget about this remake and while you're at it forget about City of Angels, Salvation, Wicked Prayer and Stairway to Heaven as well. :)

The thing is this character the Crow could become quite profitable with Hollywood and merchandising. I could see why they don`t want to give up the ship.

It`s weird your paragraphs kind of got me changing my thinking now, maybe they could reboot it if done right?

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Dang!

Luke Evans Reaffirms That He Probably Will Not Star In THE CROW

-----------------

In fact, it sounds like Relativity is not in contact with Evans at all anymore, concerning the cult -classic Caliber Comics adaptation. "Right now I’m not sure where it is, I don’t know what’s happening with it. I think it’s a question probably to ask [distributor] Relativity…they’re the ones who are really holding the strings to this story and this character. But yeah, I don’t think it’s gonna be something I’m gonna be doing for a while. I’ve got about four or five different projects which I’m lining up for this year, which will take up the majority of my 12 months. So not in the near future, unfortunately."

-----------------

And where they had O'Barr singing its praises early on...

-----------------

Evans also acknowledges that with F. Javier Gutiérrez no longer set to direct, the initial plans for the reboot to adhere closer to the source material than the 1994 film that starred Brandon Lee. "It’ll be a different concept, a different director, a different -script, and who knows where it will go? I mean, when I was in conversations with everybody it was about being as honorable to the book and loyal to the book as possible. And that meant it would be a very different film to the one that was made with Brandon Lee. Which was a good thing in a way. I mean, it wasn’t that we were trying to replicate something. It was, we were gonna go back to the book and be as completely truthful as possible. But who knows where it’ll go? And who knows whether I’ll be playing it or somebody else.”

-----------------

:eek:

Jack Huston is an outstanding actor, and really shined in BOARDWALK EMPIRE. Especially pulling off all that he did while playing a character missing a large portion of his face.

This could be interesting.

Exclusive – Jack Huston Confirmed as The Crow

-------------------

O’Barr said that “Jack Huston has definitely been cast,” that he was “really happy with that choice,” and that the film “will shoot in a couple of months.” He also said the film will essentially be a straight adaptation of his original graphic novel, which differs quite a bit from the (still awesome) 1994 Brandon Lee vehicle.

Corin Hardy directs the remake of the 1994 Alex Proyas-directed adaptation of the James O’Barr graphic novel The Crow which is about a murdered man who comes back for revenge.

The Cliff Dorfman-scripted pic will go into production in the spring.

-------------------

101091.jpg

I didn't realize Jack Huston is working on 'Ben-Hur' currently.

Ben-Hur (2016) IMDb

The director is Timur Bekmambetov, who worked on the 'Night Watch' franchise, and is already lined up to produce 'Wanted 2'.

NewEnglandGothic introduced me to 'Night Watch'. That movie was pretty good for a novice production.