• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crow Rebooted from Relativity Studios
3 3

159 posts in this topic

And then there was none.

The Crow Reborn star Jason Momoa and director Corin Hardy have reportedly both dropped out of the project, which was in development over at Davis Films. Word has also been circling that Sony could be planning to drop out as worldwide distributor of The Crow reboot as well.

According to Deadline, creative and financial differences with Davis Films head Samuel Hadida are at the center of the trouble with the production. Apparently, Hadida and Sony could never officially close a deal, after Sony had already announced The Crow for release on October 11, 2019.

This is the second time director Corin Hardy has dropped out of The Crow; he was signed to direct the film for Relativity Media a few years back, but when the studio hit financial troubles, the project fell apart. Jason Momoa joining the The Crow reboot gave the project a creative shot in the arm, and Hardy was convinced to return. The project left Relativity and landed at Sony -- or should we now say almost landed at Sony.

On 5/31/2018 at 9:31 PM, The Brain said:

I now believe that this film is cursed.

There can be no other explanation.

My bitter disappointment is tempered,

knowing that this film will NEVER be made.

:sorry:

I’m glad because it would have sucked like the sequels. The Crow should be in the category of one of my all time favorite films, Escape from New York. A movie that never had a sequel despite the temptation. Never had a sequel! Because no sequel exists! Sorry, back to the Crow. The quintessential 90’s movie with the perfect soundtrack. Lightning in a bottle and highly doubtful they catch it again. Proyas was on fire with two phenomenal films back to back, The Crow and Dark City. Then he went downhill and his career possibly ended with the God awful Gods of Egypt.  So I don’t even trust the director of The Crow to remake his own masterpiece. Seal that lightning up tight in the bottle.

Filmmaker Corin Hardy had been working on the development of a new entry into The Crow franchise for years, with the adventure even having Aquaman star Jason Momoa attached as the lead, only for that project to ultimately fall apart, with Hardy noting that he's reluctant to reveal details of the narrative in a different medium as he's still holding out hope that the movie itself could happen one day. Hardy had even previously shared a photo of Momoa in the iconic Crow makeup, with that iteration of the project seemingly being scrapped entirely in 2018. The filmmaker recently directed multiple episodes of Gangs of London, which is out now on DVD and Blu-ray.

"It's a story that I'm just in love with and wedded towards and I put three and a half, four years of life into and love and blood and sweat and tears, and I have a ton of materials, so I don't know whether one day ... I suppose I'm not really wanting to show them because I still believe there will be a Crow sometime, but we'll see," Hardy confirmed with ComicBook.com. "I do think both James O'Barr's original Crow graphic novel and the subsequent other iterations of that character in the comic books, there's no reason not to do a lot more with that character, the concept of The Crow, the mythology of The Crow, and the tone and what that represents is still unique within the world we're in at the moment."

After years of false starts and many rings of development hell, The Crow appears ready to fly again.

Bill Skarsgard, who played Pennywise the Clown in the It horror movies, will star in the reboot of the supernatural revenge thriller that will be directed by Rupert Sanders, best known for helming Snow White and the Huntsman and Ghost in the Shell.

Longtime Crow steward Edward R. Pressman and Malcolm Gray, a co-producer on the 2019 Chadwick Boseman thriller 21 Bridges, are producing.

On 4/1/2022 at 7:18 PM, D84 said:

It would be better as an April Fool's joke.

He's a great actor. But this is a story that was already masterfully told, which left a massively positive impact on moviegoers.

If they indicated this was some later story, that would be different. I think the 'reboot' term is going to possibly lead to people rebelling against the studio out of frustration with Hollywood. Though then those same people will probably rush to the next animation-to-live Disney film. So standards are very selective nowadays.

On 4/1/2022 at 6:30 PM, Bosco685 said:

He's a great actor. But this is a story that was already masterfully told, which left a massively positive impact on moviegoers.

If they indicated this was some later story, that would be different. I think the 'reboot' term is going to possibly lead to people rebelling against the studio out of frustration with Hollywood. Though then those same people will probably rush to the next animation-to-live Disney film. So standards are very selective nowadays.

It's not about casting.

No more :censored: reboots, reimaginings or decades-late continuations.

I want something :censored: new, that's not part of a :censored: franchise.

rantrant

I didn't even know this was still a thing. It has gone through so many actors and a few directors now.

After so many years spent in development hell, I never truly believed that The Crow would fly again, but fly it has. Rupert Sanders is in the midst of production on The Crow reboot in the Czech Republic, and THR has reported that Danny Huston has joined the cast.

It’s not clear who Danny Huston will be playing in The Crow reboot, but he will be starring alongside Bill Skarsgard and FKA Twigs. Zach Baylin, who was nominated for an Academy Award for his work on Will Smith’s King Richard, penned the -script for this latest version of The Crow. There have been various attempts at rebooting The Crow over the years, but none have been able to get off the ground. The most recent was supposed to have starred Jason Momoa and would have been directed by Corin Hardy, but it fell apart several years ago.

Brandons Crow will always be a classic but there was a lot left out from the GN. I’m hoping this reboot gives us more from the comic. A somber drama/horror. But I’m not feeling it because of the director they chose. Someone who has only directed two bad movies. G. del Toro would have been my choice for the reboot. 

The Crow will be the first major international production to film in the new Penzing Studios, a backlot recently opened in a former air force base in Penzing, 30 miles west of Munich, Germany. All virtual production on The Crow will be done at Penzing, with location shoots in Prague and Munich. The production will also carry out the majority of its digital asset creation and VFX work in Bavaria, Germany.

The Crow reboot stars Bill Skarsgard (who played Pennywise the Clown in the 2017 and 2019 It horror movies) in the titular role originally played by Brandon Lee, who was accidentally killed on set during the production of the first movie. Danny Huston co-stars.