• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sandman V2 #1 & #8 Appreciation Thread: "Don't wake me, I'm dreaming!!!"
3 3

390 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Sandman show hitting Netflix, it is high time to bring this thread back.:whatthe: 'Bout damn time prices of this book better reflected its top of the line quality.  :sumo:

Everybody still have their copies, right ? :shy:

-J.

Nope, sold my Sandman #1-8 few years ago. Still have Essentials: Sandman #1 (1996) and P. Craig Russell 'Sandman' t-shirt:

0Busdsx.jpg

On 7/8/2019 at 6:12 PM, Jaydogrules said:

RISE!!!

With the news of the prestige  Sandman show hitting Netflix, it is high time to bring this thread back.

And wow, prices of these books have certainly immediately skyrocketed since the news dropped.  :whatthe:

'Bout damn time prices of this book better reflected its top of the line quality.  :sumo:

Everybody still have their copies, right ? :shy:

-J.

Yes I do!

I also managed to pick up another couple of non graded copies as well ^^ one 9.0 and one at least a 9.6

1 minute ago, aardvark88 said:

Yes, would like to know how to I.D. a variant #8.

Sandman 8a - Has a "Janette Khan publishorial" opening on the inside cover.

Sandman 8b - Has a "Karen Berger Editorial" opening on the inside cover. (Rumoured that roughly < 1k copies ever printed)

7 hours ago, Evorus said:

Sandman 8b - Has a "Karen Berger Editorial" opening on the inside cover. (Rumoured that roughly < 1k copies ever printed)

Closer to 500-600 actually...

-J.

22 hours ago, Evorus said:

Sandman 8 Editorial - Inside cover for those wondering

003_Sandman_8_Inside.thumb.jpeg.d1bb0bc5b3b20d63f4ffc24af4cead9d.jpeg

Sandman 8 - Normie

Xnl0asr.jpg

Edited by Evorus
Added Normie

20 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

why was there a variant?

The official story is that it was a mistake. #8 was always meant to have the Berger editorial in all the copies...hence the indicia, which is NOT included in the "regular" book.

The ~600 copies were handed out at (maybe) Comics & Comix (or Comix & Comics, I can never remember) in Berkeley, Comic Relief in San Francisco, and Golden Apple in Los Angeles, and...as the story goes...were printed up before the "full run." Maybe a week or two?

Then, when Quebecor was given the green light to print the rest of the run, the regular Jenette Kahn "publishorial" plate was mistakenly inserted instead...since that was what all the "new format" books printed that month had.

Resurrecting this thread for some story discussion.

With the show coming up soon, I figured it was a good time to actually read these comics and see what's up with that Cure-looking guy.

I'm about 16 issues deep and it will be very interesting to see how this is adapted for TV.

On the comic itself: Is there an overall storyline underneath everything? Once it was beyond retrieving his artifacts and demons, it seems like it is a loose story about everything/anything rather than a singular plot.

On 8/4/2021 at 8:22 AM, manetteska said:

Resurrecting this thread for some story discussion.

With the show coming up soon, I figured it was a good time to actually read these comics and see what's up with that Cure-looking guy.

I'm about 16 issues deep and it will be very interesting to see how this is adapted for TV.

On the comic itself: Is there an overall storyline underneath everything? Once it was beyond retrieving his artifacts and demons, it seems like it is a loose story about everything/anything rather than a singular plot.

There is an underlying story, but it doesn't seem to really pick up steam & tie back to prior characters until the Kindly Ones storyline (starting with #57).

Those prior pieces/characters are dropped into play in The Doll's House (9-16), Season of Mists (21-28), & A Game of You (32-37).

I need to go back and re-read the series myself to see how it flows and ties together.

I recall not liking the A Game of You storyline that well, but it may be that Shawn McManus' artwork wasn't my favorite at that time.

For me - I love the first 30 issues or so of the series - that was the high point. There are some standout issues the rest of the way, but the first 30 had
the best storytelling + artwork, imo.

I do think the series kind of wandered a bit until Neil decided to wrap it up. Then it finished pretty well.

I was re-reading some old comic interviews with Neil, when Sandman was maybe a year old, and he had said he could see himself leaving the series
around the mid-40s. So he filled it out a bit, but it appears he did always have an end goal of some kind in mind.
When he gave those interviews, though, I'm sure he was *hoping* the series could go 40-50 issues, since it was still pretty new to readers.

Thanks for bumping the thread!!!!

I have self-submitted UN-pressed CGC 9.8's of 1 and 8 which I purchased raw, of course, from my local shop during my youth back in 1989.  Sorry don't have pics.

Over the years I recall reading that after issue 6 DC increased the press runs after seeing the earlier sales numbers. Then vastly increased again after 9.  It was mentioned that the lowest print runs were issues 2,3,4,5 with 4 being the lowest. #3 remains my favorite issue of the run. Anyone have #'s for the print runs ?

Interesting that for issues #4 and #8 both the individual 9.6 and 9.4 populations exceed the 9.8's. Given the era in which these were produced that says to me they are somewhat condition sensitive.

I think #4 should be added to this thread title that way THE 3 Keys to the run are covered. 

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/4/2021 at 6:25 PM, MAR1979 said:

Over the years I recall reading that after issue 6 DC increased the press runs after seeing the earlier sales numbers. Then vastly increased again after 9.

As Sandman was a Direct-only title, orders from shops (well, DC would have seen the orders from the distributors) would have been by far the most significant driver of print runs. Seeing sales numbers of previous issues is for titles with newsstand distribution.

On 8/4/2021 at 9:45 AM, HighVoltage said:

There is an underlying story, but it doesn't seem to really pick up steam & tie back to prior characters until the Kindly Ones storyline (starting with #57).

Those prior pieces/characters are dropped into play in The Doll's House (9-16), Season of Mists (21-28), & A Game of You (32-37).

I need to go back and re-read the series myself to see how it flows and ties together.

I recall not liking the A Game of You storyline that well, but it may be that Shawn McManus' artwork wasn't my favorite at that time.

For me - I love the first 30 issues or so of the series - that was the high point. There are some standout issues the rest of the way, but the first 30 had
the best storytelling + artwork, imo.

I do think the series kind of wandered a bit until Neil decided to wrap it up. Then it finished pretty well.

I was re-reading some old comic interviews with Neil, when Sandman was maybe a year old, and he had said he could see himself leaving the series
around the mid-40s. So he filled it out a bit, but it appears he did always have an end goal of some kind in mind.
When he gave those interviews, though, I'm sure he was *hoping* the series could go 40-50 issues, since it was still pretty new to readers.

Thanks for bumping the thread!!!!

Very interesting.  Game of You ended up being one of my favs. 

Sandman definitely feels all over the place in spots.  It's really what I liked about it.  Some portions really have little to do with Morpheus. 

I agree, the story does really come become more cohesive, in the standard expectation, in the later arcs.  

Patrick