• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sandman V2 #1 & #8 Appreciation Thread: "Don't wake me, I'm dreaming!!!"
3 3

390 posts in this topic

On 5/22/2022 at 8:52 AM, MAR1979 said:

As if the seller could not be bothered and was too LAZY to do any better. Based on the lack of care (and middling feedback score) put into the auction listing I'd expect the rest of the transaction to go similar for whomever purchases it - if anyone does.

"Packing the package was disgraceful. Top of box cover destroyed."

"Item never shipped. Seller lists items not in their possession"

"seller took forever to ship item and then completely ignored me when I informed him that the CGC slab was cracked"

IMHO: DANGER! AVOID! DANGER!

P.S. In at least one of their other auction titles the seller uses the word "Minty". While I'm sure there are exceptions, I never personally met anyone who uses that word who was not a total tool :) 

Well, if the listing doesnt say "CGC Fresh!"

2wd65n.jpg

On 5/22/2022 at 2:36 AM, Kevin76 said:

I still can't get over the fact that I sold Sandman 10 9.8 for a $1000 a few months back, recently sold 21 for $300...I paid less than $5 for both.  

You did good on the 10 as the last month or two #1 has barely hit $1000.  10 was a low pop book but the numbers are increasing seemingly every census. 21 is half the 10 pop  but IMHO is more important in the Sandman mythos.

For me  personally these are the true keys - please note the personally part :)

#3 My favorite issue in the run, this opinion likley wont be shared by anyone else
#4 1st Lucifer and 1st Nada
#8 Probably the single most important  book in the run from collector perspective. Given the thousands submitted to CGC its very difficult to obtain a 9.8 and only 13.9% have
#21 First shown grouping of the endless (or so is my recollection), 1st Delirium who I feel has potential to be the breakout character of the show?
#22 Mostly known for being the 1st Daniel, it's also the 1st Mazikeen. The story itself outstanding.
#42 My 2nd favorite issue in the run. The page where Delirium orders dinner is my favorite single page in the entire series.

Again this is my own private Sandman key list and not indicative of the market.

Edited by MAR1979

On 5/22/2022 at 3:52 PM, MAR1979 said:

As if the seller could not be bothered and was too LAZY to do any better. Based on the lack of care (and middling feedback score) put into the auction listing I'd expect the rest of the transaction to go similar for whomever purchases it - if anyone does.

"Packing the package was disgraceful. Top of box cover destroyed."

"Item never shipped. Seller lists items not in their possession"

"seller took forever to ship item and then completely ignored me when I informed him that the CGC slab was cracked"

IMHO: DANGER! AVOID! DANGER!

P.S. In at least one of their other auction titles the seller uses the word "Minty". While I'm sure there are exceptions, I never personally met anyone who uses that word who was not a total tool :) 

"Minty" 🤣🤣🤣, that's brilliant! Tbf, I didn't check any of the sellers previous sales. Just posted on here as I know there's always someone looking for the book.

Well this maybe the case that more people just want to read it. 

Ive sold numerous Sandman issues for $15 to $100 the past few months.
I am getting ready to sell even more Vertigo Essential issues I paid $1 each for
$10 to $25 per issue all raw. Ive got at least 20 of them.

Edited by fastballspecial

On 7/4/2022 at 11:16 AM, fastballspecial said:

Well this maybe the case that more people just want to read it. 

Ive sold numerous Sandman issues for $15 to $100 the past few months.
I am getting ready to sell even more Vertigo Essential issues I paid $1 each for
$10 to $25 per issue all raw. Ive got at least 20 of them.

I just put some raws up. And not CGC candidates, so we’ll see. 

On 7/4/2022 at 11:27 AM, manetteska said:

With roughly a month before release, Sandman prices are rough. Basically 9.8 or bust and even the 9.8 prices are down. 

Noticed this trend this whilst tracking my personal collection's value month-to-month where it hit a peak back in October 2021 in grades other than 9.8 and then a slow bleed to now.
9.8s continue to perform best of course.
Presume it is due to initial excitement dying off.
Hopefully the show is solid so those with non 9.8s that want to sell can make hay the week of release at least.

With roughly a month before release, Sandman prices are rough. Basically 9.8 or bust and even the 9.8 prices are down. 

Yes they are down quite a bit, mirroring the Copper and Modern Market Correction on the whole. Outliers and hot books de jour of course being exceptions.  Lot of folks already or about to get stung bad especially those that did and still do believe the $elf-$serving hyperbole on display at gocollect and similar venues. If they say something is "undervalued" run away very fast....

The good news is those looking to purchase Sandman may soon be able to get at "fair" prices Comics that display the height of what the medium is capable. IMHO that is a very positive win for the future.

Edited by MAR1979

While it has a large fanbase, it is not a better known property in main pop culture.  A lot of how these books perform will depend on how well the show is done and if it draws in a large following of watchers who were not familiar with the title before.  If it cannot do the latter, you basically have the same fans you've always had trading books back and forth.

I am sorting through boxes from a past collection buy and it had one Sandman comic in it - a copy of the #18 blue panel variant. This is the second one I have found locally in the past year. I wonder if there were more copies in circulation here as the first one was from a LCS back issue bin and this copy was likely purchased at the same store back in the day as that is where it appears the owner frequented based on labels on other books in their collection.

On 7/4/2022 at 10:27 AM, manetteska said:

The last local show I shopped at I felt there was value still in Sandman. I saw nice raw back issues for cheap and some choice on graded material. 

On 10/20/2022 at 6:42 PM, MAR1979 said:

Man, the FMV's of the key issues 1,4,8 are plummeting. It is DC a readily available in HG movie/TV related hype book after all.....

FTFY........and as I had posted the other day in another thread talking about She-Hulk 1 and any other readily available HG movie/TV related hype book:  hm

On 10/18/2022 at 9:09 PM, lou_fine said:

Then again, since this is another one of those readily available in HG movie related hype books that have rocketed its way out from the loonie bin box and into 4-figure territory, I guess it bears repeating.  At this recent stage of the game, it's being snapped up by speculators speculating that other speculators will be or are speculating on this book, as I highly doubt there are enough moviegoers leaving the theatre who are suddenly deciding to throw this kind of money on a book or become a long term collector of this title here.  hm

The major problem is that the key to winning at this game here is that you have to be able to master the FIFO timeline.  In other words, FIRST IN on buying the book before it starts to rise and then FIRST OUT on selling the book before it starts to fall.  Definitely not the easiest timeline to master because if you are late to either aspect of this game, it's relatively easy for the book to make the full round trip (if not more) on you.  :tonofbricks:

And as we've seen, this same pattern has also happened to other movie/TV related hype books if you take a look at Eternals 1, SME 15, MSH 13, etc. and these are clearly not DC books after all.  :tonofbricks:

Edited by lou_fine