• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sandman V2 #1 & #8 Appreciation Thread: "Don't wake me, I'm dreaming!!!"
3 3

390 posts in this topic

Ok,

Apologies for the quality (I've not scanner!) but lets get this Topic back on appreciation mode!

Front Cover

tFH0Hs7l.jpg

Inside Front Cover

aDBWl3Fl.jpg

Back Cover

J6MSmTGl.jpg

I may post this up in PGM section but what are peoples thoughts?

Sweet....daddy likes that book.

Especially with a Gaiman signature on the inside cover............I have read that he will not sign any of his Sandman works any longer, so having Gaiman's sig on it is doubly sweet.

It looks to be in the NM range, to me.While it's hard to judge with the smaller pics, it is much better than VF.

Nah, that's not true at all - Gaiman will happily sign anything from his back catalogue, including Sandman. The problem is that he's said he's not going to do any more book signing tours due to the 50,000+ books he signed on the last one, so it's gotten to be fairly difficult to get anything signed by him period.

Alright, I was off but I was right about the bottom line.The chances of Gaiman signing any Sandman books are pretty much nil.

You're missing my point - it's gotten harder to get a Gaiman sig in general, but it's definitely still doable (and it's got nothing to do with Sandman).

Anyway ... here are a couple of my #1s and #8s:

sandman-1-cgc-9.8-ss-copya-f.jpg

sandman-1-cgc-9.8-ss-copyc-f.jpg

sandman-1-cgc-9.8-ss-copyd-f.jpg

sandman-8-cgc-9.8-ss-f.jpg

sandman-8-cgc-9.8-ss-copyb-f.jpg

sandman-8-editorial-cgc-9.6-f.jpg

sandman-8-editorial-cgc-9.6-ss-copya-f.jpg

Outstanding bro! That's what you call bringing the heat! (worship)

Excellent variety of books you have there my friend! (thumbs u If you ever want to part with the last one, hit me up with a PM! :baiting:;)

Sale looks legit for the 9.2 #8b that just sold for $2k. Seller has already left feedback for the buyer.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=comikaze&ftab=FeedbackLeftForOthers

-J.

The sale was indeed legit. I've known the seller for over 25 years. He, myself and another comic collecting buddy each bought a copy of Sandman 8b from a CBG ad in 1993. My memory is a little fuzzy but I think we paid about $90 each plus shipping. After seeing the "crummy" copy sell on ebay for $400+ he sent his to CGC.

In the late 90's I recall occasionally seeing a copy sell for $50ish and thinking, "man, did I get screwed on that deal." Nowadays, I'm feeling much better :)

The sale was indeed legit. I've known the seller for over 25 years. He, myself and another comic collecting buddy each bought a copy of Sandman 8b from a CBG ad in 1993. My memory is a little fuzzy but I think we paid about $90 each plus shipping. After seeing the "crummy" copy sell on ebay for $400+ he sent his to CGC.

In the late 90's I recall occasionally seeing a copy sell for $50ish and thinking, "man, did I get screwed on that deal." Nowadays, I'm feeling much better :)

If the sale is legit, the seller got one hell of a sale.

Something to keep in mind...the current values of the editorial variant are being fueled by an overall exuberance in the market. It's important to remember that, for decades now, the books just weren't worth all that much money. You had to wait a lonngggg time to see any sort of return on your $90 investment.

It took 25 year for the book to gain some sort of serious value. Throughout the 2000s, you could buy slabbed 9.4s and 9.6s for $150-$300, if you were patient, and at a time when regulars 9.4s and 9.6s were still $30-$100 books.

And, if this $2,000 sale is indeed legitimate, and those who have them get wind of this, they're going to come out of the woodwork. There are, after all, several hundred of them sitting in collections at the moment.

$2,000 is a silly number for this book in 9.2. It's simply not a rational number. The market will not sustain prices like this. 9.8s? Yes. 9.2s? No.

lol These things have been progressively rising in value and becoming tougher and tougher to find for years now. And there's still only 35 on the census. I don't think anyone needs to worry about copies of sandman 8b's suddenly "flooding the market". Unless of course mschmidt decides to cash out his hoard. :tonofbricks:

-J.

lol These things have been progressively rising in value and becoming tougher and tougher to find for years now. And there's still only 35 on the census. I don't think anyone needs to worry about copies of sandman 8b's suddenly "flooding the market". Unless of course mschmidt decides to cash out his hoard. :tonofbricks:

-J.

What does that mean, "progressively rising in value" and "becoming tougher and tougher to find"? It looks like the "rise in value" has been limited to the last year and a half or so. All throughout the 2000s, the price was pretty flat.

How are they tougher to find than in, say, 2004? 2010? How does one measure "tougher to find"? In the last 6 months, a total of 5 copies have come to the open market, plus the one Schmidt found, plus the one Evorus found, making 7 copies trading hands in the last half year that we know of.

You argued in this very thread that there is an "uptick in price and heat", and now you're saying they are tougher to find...? How can something get hotter if it is tougherto find? If it can't be found, people give up looking for it.

That "uptick in price and heat" has actually brought MORE copies to the market, making it EASIER to find (as evidenced by the $2,000 9.2 sale, which it is claimed was directly inspired by the "crummy $400 copy" selling a few months ago.)

By all accounts, they have been easier to find in the latter half of 2014 than in several years prior.

Which is it?

All these flipflops are making me dizzy!

:ohnoez:

PS. No one said anything about "flooding the market."

Yes 7 copies in six months have come up for sale (3 of the 35 slabs, 4 raw), all selling at ever increasing, record breaking prices, whether slabbed or raw.

Now go find one of either for sale.

Getting the point yet ? If not feel free to PM me for additional clarifications. :baiting:

Can we see some more awesome books now please ?

-J.

Yes 7 copies in six months have come up for sale (3 of the 35 slabs, 4 raw), all selling at ever increasing, record breaking prices, whether slabbed or raw.

Now go find one of either for sale. :baiting:

-J.

7 copies that we know of. You haven't answered the question of how 7 copies in the last 6 months means the book is getting tougher, rather than easier, to find.

You also haven't answered how 6 months worth of sales means the prices have been progressively rising "for years", as you said earlier.

hm

Getting the point yet ? If not feel free to PM me for additional clarifications. :baiting:

What, that you casually make inaccurate statements that you then have to walk back when you are challenged...?

Yes, I got that point about a year ago.

:D

Can we see some more awesome books now please ?

-J.

Feel free to post whatever you have. This is the Sandman #1 and #8 appreciation thread, so I would imagine any discussion about those books would be fair game.

:cloud9:

Anyway ... here are a couple of my #1s and #8s:

sandman-1-cgc-9.8-ss-copya-f.jpg

The Kieth sig on this copy is particularly awesome! :headbang:

That's what I thought as well. The ink color just goes perfectly with the rest of the cover. And he has one of the better/more artistic sigs.