• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sandman V2 #1 & #8 Appreciation Thread: "Don't wake me, I'm dreaming!!!"
3 3

390 posts in this topic

Wow. Wonder what that will end up going for ? hm

-J.

I would say at least $4K. hm (thumbs u

Probably not.

It will be interesting to see, especially since that 9.2 copy sold quickly for $2K recently. :cool::popcorn:

-J.

Probably not.

It will be interesting to see, especially since that 9.2 copy sold quickly for $2K recently. :cool::popcorn:

If that is not the definition of outlier, I don't know anything about comics.

Grade becomes far, far less important the more scarce an item is. People just want to have one, and whether it's 9.2 or 9.8, doesn't make too big a difference for books where only a few hundred exist.

That 9.2 was a case of someone deciding "you know, it's here, there aren't any others around right now, I've wanted it, so why the hell not."

That's a decision I've made many times, as I happily overpaid for items that don't come around very often (like, say, paying $177 for a Vengeance of Vampirella #1 Royal Blue in 2003 or thereabouts, because they just don't come up for sale but once every 2-3 years. And yes, I missed the 9.8 that sold on Heritage in '04 or '05. :cry: )

That 9.2 was a case of someone deciding "you know, it's here, there aren't any others around right now, I've wanted it, so why the hell not."

I agree with you here, but I do think that that approach may be what propels this one above the $4K minimum I predict for this 9.8 copy on Heritage. hm

It may be an outlier for now, but with Sandman 8b Karen Berger being fairly rare and with the soon to be announced Sandman movie on the horizon I think the FMV will continue to rise for this comic book. (thumbs u 2c

I guess time will tell my friend. ;)

I agree with you here, but I do think that that approach may be what propels this one above the $4K minimum I predict for this 9.8 copy on Heritage. hm

That's the exact reason why it won't. It's an auction. In auctions, the pressure to "OMG I HAVE TO BUY IT NOW OR SOMEONE ELSE MIGHT GET IT!!!" doesn't exist, so there's a lot less spontaneous decision making.

It may be an outlier for now, but with Sandman 8b Karen Berger being fairly rare and with the soon to be announced Sandman movie on the horizon I think the FMV will continue to rise for this comic book. (thumbs u 2c

I guess time will tell my friend. ;)

Doubtful. Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful, wonderful book...but it's not necessary to have it to complete a run, and is rare enough to frighten away all but the most dedicated of niche collectors.

Will it get some sort of "movie boost"? Maybe. Sandman has stayed in print for 25+ years and the core fanbase of Sandman isn't collectors willing to shell out big money for copies...it's readers.

And readers just want to read.

When people can buy a Sandman #8 variant...or a nice run, and have $1600 left over...it's going to go to the run.

-J.

RMA's points are well taken but I do believe that this is (or is on its way) to being the CA equivalent of the star wars 1 price variant and with the movie on a way (and perhaps a series of them) I don't think $4-5k is out of the question for a new to market 9.8 copy of one of these. (thumbs u

-J.

-J.

RMA's points are well taken but I do believe that this is (or is on its way) to being the CA equivalent of the star wars 1 price variant and with the movie on a way (and perhaps a series of them) I don't think $4-5k is out of the question for a new to market 9.8 copy of one of these. (thumbs u

-J.

This will definitely being a great test to see where Sandman 8b stands. (thumbs u I don't believe $4K is out of the question and the HA venue will be a great testing ground for it. hm:popcorn:

It looks like Sandman #8b is on it's way with a new high for CGC 9.8 copies with a $3,346 HA sale today! :applause:

HA Sandman #8B

That's impressive for a MA book on HA. (thumbs u Any thoughts about this books future going forward and the slated Sandman movie coming? hm

Edited by jaja-mon12

It looks like Sandman #8b is on it's way with a new high for CGC 9.8 copies with a $3,346 HA sale today! :applause:

HA Sandman #8B

That's impressive for a MA book on HA. (thumbs u Any thoughts about this books future going forward and the slated Sandman movie coming? hm

I thought it would go for at least $4k.

But yes, given the venue I'd say it did well, but I agree with RMA the seller would have gotten more on ebay most likely. Probably even the $4k+ mark.

I put in a couple bids on it myself just for the heck of it. It more than tripled in price during the live auction, I find that to be a very positive sign for the book's future prospects. In a year that price for a 9.8 is going to look like a bargain (it kind of already does now) and I will probably regret not getting this one (though I do have a personal rule against playing the "upgrade game" with comics that I already own).

-J.

HA Sandman #8B

But yes, given the venue I'd say it did well, but I agree with RMA the seller would have gotten more on ebay most likely. Probably even the $4k+ mark.

I put in a couple bids on it myself just for the heck of it. It more than tripled in price during the live auction, I find that to be a very positive sign for the book's future prospects. In a year that price for a 9.8 is going to look like a bargain (it kind of already does now) and I will probably regret not getting this one (though I do have a personal rule against playing the "upgrade game" with comics that I already own).

-J.

Shill..... :baiting:

HA Sandman #8B

-J.

Shill..... :baiting:

:insane:

-J.

HA Sandman #8B

-J.

yeah, maybe it would have gone for more on eBay. Either way, it was a decent price. (thumbs u I think Sandman #8B can only go up from here now that it has establish itself as a true CA player. :headbang:

lol

I was going to go for that book if it somehow remained around $2k. Ahhh pipe dreams.... :insane:

lol I was willing to go as high as $2.5K buddy. Maybe I will take the plunge on the next 9.8 to upgrade. hm (thumbs u

lol

I was going to go for that book if it somehow remained around $2k. Ahhh pipe dreams.... :insane:

lol I was willing to go as high as $2.5K buddy. Maybe I will take the plunge on the next 9.8 to upgrade. hm (thumbs u

Only 5, 9.8's on the census (out of 40 total copies), you may be waiting awhile (and I doubt the next one goes for less than $4k, or is on heritage). lol

-J.

I didn't think that HA sold this particular book very well. The listing itself might have had the census correct but it had the GPA sales completely wrong. They listed the normal version prices. So I am sure some collectors were even wondering why it was at $1100 when the GPA was what...$200 or so? And to go even higher would have been even crazier. Though I guess the few people who really want this don't really even need to read the details of the auction.

But even the live auction was bad. They didn't mention it was the variant nor that it is the only time that HA has even sold one of these. It was auctioned as just a Sandman #8. I was not a fan of the woman auctioneer. I thought the guy was a lot better. It would be curious to see which one of those auctioneers brings in more money above expectations for a book.

I am still waiting for mine to come back from CGC. I am expecting 9.6 and hoping for 9.8. Wife just might force me to sell it. I might cry.... :(