• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I don't get it?

67 posts in this topic

As far as I know pedigrees are accepted as fact among the collecting community, to those in the know that is. I mean which pedigree it is and its authenticity are pretty much accepted as fact. Its true that Metro doens't have the final say compared to CGC.

Not acknowledging a pedigree designation on the label is a prettyBIG deal. Its almost like not denoting a missing MVS. Not to play devils advocate but I wonder if that type of error would go ignored.

I have not seen it brought up really but I think the matter at hand is whether CGC is trying to say that it is not a pedigree. Correct me if I am wrong but I think a pedigreed book is easy to spot and acknowledge to anyone employed as a professional grader. I also think it would be pretty darn hard to forge. From what I have seen the label will at least mention that there is "writing" on the books cover.

So if I recall jonny denoted on the submission form that he believes it to be a NS and therefore is entitled to an answer. It will be very interesting to find out what CGC is trying to say and we should all agree that it would be unfair for them not give him a reply.

There are a number of pedigrees that lack distinctive markings. Even peds, including Church and Okajima copies, that usually have markings don't always have them. So, no, they aren't always easy to spot and I assume that sometimes CGC relies on a copy's provenance and whether that pedigree is known to include that book. With respect to the second criterion, many pedigrees -- including Church -- lack a definitive list of which books were in the pedigree when it was found.

All this ambiguity is why I think CGC should be more forthcoming about how it verifies pedigree copies.

- I've posted in the Ask CGC forum and am waiting for their response.

- HORRORSHOW- Metropolis Comics says the book is a Nova Scotia Pedigree. The idea that a reputable dealer like Metropolis Comics sells a pedigree that may later come into question is troubling and something that I don't accept. The guys at Metropolis know their books- Vinny takes this stuff seriously and should considering the books he sells. I don't believe they simply guess whether a book is a pedigree without doing the necessary research. Metropolis should have the last word on this- they sanctioned the book as a Nova Scotia pedigree- it's their reputation on the line when it comes to verifying a pedigree book. So the question as to whether this book is a pedigree is not an issue with me.

- This is a quality control issue that I believe will be resolved by CGC's customer service. Again, my issue with quality control is that this should not have happened given the turn around time and the two points of information provided by me (the Metropolis Comics stamp of approval on the mylar bag and the notation on the submission form put their by the CGC rep in my presence at the NYC Comic Con). I could see missing one indication, but 2? This is about identifying a problem and fixing it so it doesn't happen again.

The idea that a reputable dealer like Metropolis Comics sells a pedigree that may later come into question is troubling and something that I don't accept.

The book may be a Nova Scotia, but I don't think CGC and Metro have the same standards of proof.

My impression is that even if CGC thinks a book is probably a pedigree, they won't designate it as such unless they're positive. In the case of a Nova Scotia, that would probably mean either verifying the little "m" on it as authentic or being able to trace the ownership of it to Jim Payette.

Hello,

I have sent you a PM this morning to get the situation handled for you. Sorry about the mistake but we will be happy to fix, if you could just answer my PM we will get everything fixed ASAP.

Good luck contacting them , i contacted customer service 5 months ago inquiring about shipping and i am still waiting for the answer. "someone " told me that customer service from other companies replies you the same day !! thats crazy

Hello,

Maybe I can help you, want to PM me what your question is? We do answer our e-mails everyday. If you don't want to PM my direct e-mail is bgregorio@cgccomics.com and you can e-mail me there as well.

Hopefully we can get your question answered.

Another place this would have been good would be the ASK CGC forum.

Question on the ASK CGC forum. When you post, you get a message saying something about your post needs to be reviewed first. After that, you either see your post with an answer or you never hear anything about it again. The latter can be very frustrating. I'm never sure if I was ignored, laughed at, or I simply asked too good of a question. Does anyone know how the process works ?

I actually got an answer via PM on the last question I asked there.

Wouldn't everyone's interests be better served if responses were posted publicly?

IDK, maybe they thought it wasn't important enough?

:shrug:

-slym

Question on the ASK CGC forum. When you post, you get a message saying something about your post needs to be reviewed first. After that, you either see your post with an answer or you never hear anything about it again. The latter can be very frustrating. I'm never sure if I was ignored, laughed at, or I simply asked too good of a question. Does anyone know how the process works ?

Wouldn't everyone's interests be better served if responses were posted publicly?

-slym

All Ask CGC goes through me first. Some don't get approved simply because they have been asked before or some don't get approved due to content. Almost everyone though receives a pm. Do you have a question that wasn't approved or you didn't receive a reply to? You can also e-mail me at bgregorio@cgccomics.com with any future questions. I am happy to answer all e-mails.

-slym

All Ask CGC goes through me first. Some don't get approved simply because they have been asked before or some don't get approved due to content. Almost everyone though receives a pm. Do you have a question that wasn't approved or you didn't receive a reply to? You can also e-mail me at bgregorio@cgccomics.com with any future questions. I am happy to answer all e-mails.

I've asked about the process of verifying a claim that a raw book is a pedigree copy. I would think that an answer would be of general interest, but perhaps the information is considered proprietary. Thanks.

-slym

I've asked about the process of verifying a claim that a raw book is a pedigree copy. I would think that an answer would be of general interest, but perhaps the information is considered proprietary. Thanks.

There are several ways to go about checking if a raw book is a pedigree. Each with it's own circumstance. Some pedigrees have distinguishing newstand marks or original owner marks. Another way is a combination of smell and paper quality. And yet another way is to trace the provenance of the book through previous owners. Some raw book are very easy to tell if they are pedigrees and other's are more difficult.

-slym

There are several ways to go about checking if a raw book is a pedigree. Each with it's own circumstance. Some pedigrees have distinguishing newstand marks or original owner marks. Another way is a combination of smell and paper quality. And yet another way is to trace the provenance of the book through previous owners. Some raw book are very easy to tell if they are pedigrees and other's are more difficult.

Thanks for the response. A follow-up question, if I may, that gets at a point raised by the OP (and also raised in another thread about a couple of Church books that you were willing to label as such even though they don't appear in Chuck R's sales list).

Are you ever willing to rely on Heritage or Metro (or, perhaps, another well-known dealer or auction house) having identified a particular copy being a pedigree, or would you require additional information to verify the attribution? Thanks again.

-slym

Thanks for the response. A follow-up question, if I may, that gets at a point raised by the OP (and also raised in another thread about a couple of Church books that you were willing to label as such even though they don't appear in Chuck R's sales list).

Are you ever willing to rely on Heritage or Metro (or, perhaps, another well-known dealer or auction house) having identified a particular copy being a pedigree, or would you require additional information to verify the attribution? Thanks again.

We would require more information, however we would take any information they have into account.

-slym

We would require more information, however we would take any information they have into account.

Interesting. Thanks very much for the responses.

No ma'am, you answered my question via PM, I was just offering an idea on why it was answered via PM and not the sub-forum.

Thanks again, BTW!

-slym

-slym

Quite a few Church books were never on the sales list. Hamilton, Rowe, and possibly the Carter's all purchased before the list. I once owned the Church copy of Stuntman 1 and it was purchased by Rowe..... it was notated by CGC and not on any list. Provenance comes in to play. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Great news. CGC is taking care of it. The book is on its way back to Sarasota.

Imagine that.

I agree with this sentiment. There's a lesson to be learned here.

Here's an odd one:

It's a Planet 51, graded 5.5 with cream-to-off-white pages, with no D coding but rather a penciled mark that looks distinctly non-Mile-High-like, yet CConnect has it listed as an Edgar Curch/Mile High Copy (a designation that is not on the label).

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=572969

It must just be a listing error—which I'm sure occur on every site.