• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IRON MAN #55 CLUB
4 4

214 posts in this topic

All double cover comic books are very rare some more so than others but I have seen quite a few copies of the Iron Man #55 in fact a little over 2 years ago there were four of them up on ebay for sale at the same time. Check out this thread link Double Covers Lots of cool info and pictures of this type of error and Cool buy. (thumbs u

Edited by cosmic-spider-man

Double covers are very hard to find for most comics. In any given week eBay will have less than 100 cgc graded double covers for gold, silver, bronze, copper and modern. Iron Man 55 is so ridiculously hot that a double cover would be very valuable so you have something that will be in demand.

At one point about 4 years ago there were a few IM 55 double covers on eBay but they were snatched up quickly. The last one that sold was the 9.8 for $13K and a 9.6 on eBay. None have been seen since. I'm guessing that less than 7 exist and I would bet that one person owns most of them.

Get yours graded if you haven't already done so. If I'm right and there are only about 7 of these out of the entire print run for an insanely in demand comic than hold on to it. Demand will only go up with two HUGE movies coming.

Congrats!

Your numbers are a little off there, you say you have seen a 9.6 & a 9.8 sell and well on May 14 of 2013 there were 4 copies up for sale on ebay a CGC 7.5 a 8.0 a 9.2 and even a raw one so with just those you have 6 examples with double covers and I have seen allot more than that. I have collected Double Covers since around 2001 and have kept a close eye out for them for many years and I am sure I have seen more than a dozen copies of this book. I would guess several board members here probably own copies and I would think the total number of existing copies would be a lot closer to 20 than 7 either way it is still a very rare and very hot book so no argument there and it is a great find. 2c

I think copies of this particular book with the NDS insert (pre-Mark Jewelers) are far more rare than copies with double covers.

-J.

:) I really think that is very unlikely.

I've only seen two of the former, ever. And at least a dozen copies of the latter in the last 18 months or so alone. (shrug)

I think copies of this particular book with the NDS insert (pre-Mark Jewelers) are far more rare than copies with double covers.

-J.

I've only seen two of the former, ever. And at least a dozen copies of the latter in the last 18 months or so alone. (shrug)

Should be NDS, not Mark Jewelers, dunno if its worth the trouble of sending it back in to get it fixed. I've yet to see another one. Anyone else seen one?

P1030557.jpg

-J.

Should be NDS, not Mark Jewelers, dunno if its worth the trouble of sending it back in to get it fixed. I've yet to see another one. Anyone else seen one?

P1030557.jpg

Very cool! Are you sure there's an insert in there though ? I don't see a star stamp on the book. Should be able to see the blue and white edges of it peeking out from the bottom of the book, even in the slab. I would definitely get the label corrected if you ever even think you might sell it. Insert aficionados/those who would pay a premium for a bronze age mega key with one will know it's not right.

-J.

I seem to recall seeing one on ebay a few years back listed as having both the insert and a double cover so yours may not be the only one but it is still very cool item. (thumbs u

I think I have either 4 or 5 double covers comics now that also have Mark Jewelers or National Diamond Inserts. One is like yours it says Mark Jewelers on the CGC label but it is a ASM #100 so it should be the National Diamond insert. I can't say for sure because I bought it already graded and I have never opened it. (shrug)