• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IRON MAN #55 CLUB
4 4

214 posts in this topic

For the people who think the bottom is going to fall out on this issue are you talking hundred's or thousands? Just wandering because I have my own ideas on books just curious what other people think and why they think it.

Just wandering because I have my own ideas on books just curious what other people think and why they think it.

It's the life cycle of movie or TV related over hyped books which are actually common in all grades across the board.

And it's a life cycle that we have seen rinsed and repeated on a countless number of these types of books, without any notable exceptions at all.

The real question is, why do you believe it will be any different for IM 55? ???

Or maybe it's not overhyped, first appearance of "just" a villain who became a character. That a lot of people find cool because he does things like court death in the literal sense (oddly including a buddy of mine who had no real interest in comics but then borrowed my Thanos Quest pair of thin trades). Perhaps. I remember in late 80s people calling a lot of stuff (which has endured) just 'flash'. And there's no other IM after 1 for the growing segment of 'key only' collectors except for the Moondragon.

Just wandering because I have my own ideas on books just curious what other people think and why they think it.

It's the life cycle of movie or TV related over hyped books which are actually common in all grades across the board.

And it's a life cycle that we have seen rinsed and repeated on a countless number of these types of books, without any notable exceptions at all.

The real question is, why do you believe it will be any different for IM 55? ???

...It also has first Drax of GotG fame to continue to push it..... :shy:

-J.

I'm just going to quote this and throwing these numbers out there on 2/1/2017. The 90 day average on GPA for a:

9.8 is 6,001

9.6 is 2,711

9.4 is 1,837

9.2 is 1,381

Between those grades we're talking over five hundred books. I'm just posting this because in my opinion this book still has room to grow. The way marvel writes Thanos is amazing. I will read stuff just because Thanos is involved. Thanos Rising actually got me into reading some new books again. I figure he still has a big movie bump coming and yes the book will settle after that but that's why I listed the GPA data because after a good movie bump these prices may seem like a deal even after the dust settles. Only time will tell.

Edited by JWKyle

I'm just going to quote this and throwing these numbers out there on 2/1/2017. The 90 day average on GPA for a:

9.8 is 6,001

9.6 is 2,711

9.4 is 1,837

9.2 is 1,381

Between those grades we're talking over five hundred books. I'm just posting this because in my opinion this book still has room to grow. The way marvel writes Thanos is amazing. I will read stuff just because Thanos is involved. Thanos Rising actually got me into reading some new books again. I figure he still has a big movie bump coming and yes the book will settle after that but that's why I listed the GPA data because after a good movie bump these prices may seem like a deal even after the dust settles. Only time will tell.

Yep. Agree. You make me want to read the new Thanos material.

This is now a grail book. The fact the first Moon Knight and Punisher are now selling for more with less going for them means this is going to shoot up further and pass both.

On February 1, 2017 at 2:02 PM, Jaydogrules said:

...It also has first Drax of GotG fame to continue to push it..... :shy:

-J.

1 hour ago, Jking3437 said:

Still love this book , I hope marvel makes thanks the b@dass he is supposed to be 

And Thanos' father and brother, as well. Depending upon how the big guy is used it could be looked back upon as a foundational book in the Thanos-related mythos. He has the chance to be the bronze age's transcendent villain key, as Action 23 is to Gold and FF 5 is to silver. Tougher with villains, but it happens. JIM85 also has moved in that direction; will be interesting to see if it can keep up. 

Problem with villain keys is half the ones with Luthor/Dr Doom-level potential appear first in books that would be keys anyway, though I argue they add to the significance greatly -- referring to Joker and Catwoman in Batman 1 and Magneto in X-Men 1.

Edited by Readcomix

On 2/10/2017 at 10:05 AM, MagnetoWasRight said:

I gotta get back into this club. Who's selling a nice mid grade copy?!? B|

Smart move to get back in but anyone who sells before the first movie is probably walking away from the hobby or paying bills.  

54 minutes ago, redknight99 said:

Got mine awhile back and never new I was the guy who caused a stir buying this book for 5k back in 2014 (thumbsu.  Thanos is my favorite Villain and growing up the Infinity Gauntlet was all the rave back then :devil:

SWEET!! lol Glad you collected what you loved! I guess that means your going to hold on to it for years to come?

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

SWEET!! lol Glad you collected what you loved! I guess that means your going to hold on to it for years to come?

This book has a lot of sentimental value to me and I will pass on to my son once he grows older.  My first big buy when I got back into the hobby after 30 years hiatus as a kid :wink:

I recently got this one graded. It's got the "National Diamond" insert, but CGC oddly labeled it as the "Mark Jewelers" insert for some reason.

IMG_0230.jpg

I took a photo of the insert before I graded it.

IMG_0044.thumb.JPG.95b85ef7983722ef72ca9a72d361141e.JPG

Are "Mark Jeweler" and "National Diamond" the same?

Edited by Floobitydoo

On April 28, 2017 at 11:48 AM, Floobitydoo said:

I recently got this one graded. It's got the "National Diamond" insert, but CGC oddly labeled it as the "Mark Jewelers" insert for some reason.

IMG_0230.jpg

I took a photo of the insert before I graded it.

IMG_0044.thumb.JPG.95b85ef7983722ef72ca9a72d361141e.JPG

Are "Mark Jeweler" and "National Diamond" the same?

Awesome book, I've only seen a few of these with the NDS insert.  

And no they aren't the same as MJ inserts.  They actually pre-date MJ inserts, were only used a few years and are much rarer than MJ inserts especially in 8.0+ condition.  

I have a 9.2 with an NDS insert so I can attest that CGC definitely has it wrong on your label.  You may want to consider sending it back so they can correct it.  

-J.

On 5/16/2017 at 10:01 AM, kimik said:

Here is a recent pick up that is just a lowly 8.0. I guess I should look at a 9.4 or nicer copy at some point.

Humble lol I'd be satisfied although I say go for it! nice to see a villain getting some love :) 

CONGRATS!!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM