• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alan Moore books. What did you like? What didn't you like?

109 posts in this topic

I have a tpb collecting Moore's first six or so issues of Swamp Thing. I have read it maybe 4 or 5 times in the last 20+ years and I just don't get the love for this. Does the series improve in later issues? And this is someone who has worn out 2 tpb copies of Watchmen (probably reread once a year).

No, it gets better in my opinion. I was surprised to see someone say 21 and 22 were their favorites; I liked later issues myself and thought Moore took some time before hitting his stride. I have been meaning to re-read them for some time now, maybe now is that time.

I never said it was the best thing sequential art ever produced - that may have been someone else you were going back and forth with as there were a few of us along the way.

Regardless of who said it, this has always been a common refrain for Watchmen

.... I guess the last suggestion I'd make... try reading the entire series. It isn't exactly a huge time investment. Try to pay attention to how tightly executed it is... often, that is something one can't fully judge until the end has been reached. Finally - and you shouldn't have a problem here! - don't go into it with such ridiculous expectations, just enjoy it for what it is. If you still feel it is 'average', or worse, so be it, but at least then you'll have given it a shot with an open mind.

I have read the entire series and I also knew halfway through I should not waste my time with the rest. But, hey, I can't walk out of movies either.

I would take issue with "tightly executed" unless we are putting it on par with a season of Days of Our Lives. Though, the pacing rivaled snail races. By the time I got halfway through, it felt like a Moore excercise in pontification. I couldn't help but imagine him giggling to himself every few pages, thinking "how much can I shovel in here?" Culminating with an ending that was a middle finger salute to fans. Just to reinforce how trite and banal the average comic fare was.

I never said it was the best thing sequential art ever produced - that may have been someone else you were going back and forth with as there were a few of us along the way.

.... I guess the last suggestion I'd make... try reading the entire series. It isn't exactly a huge time investment. Try to pay attention to how tightly executed it is... often, that is something one can't fully judge until the end has been reached. Finally - and you shouldn't have a problem here! - don't go into it with such ridiculous expectations, just enjoy it for what it is. If you still feel it is 'average', or worse, so be it, but at least then you'll have given it a shot with an open mind.

I have read the entire series and I also knew halfway through I should not waste my time with the rest. But, hey, I can't walk out of movies either.

I would take issue with "tightly executed" unless we are putting it on par with a season of Days of Our Lives. The pacing rivaled snail races. By the time I got halfway through, it felt like a Moore excercise in pontification. I couldn't help but imagine him giggling to himself every few pages, thinking "how much can I shovel in here?" Culminating with an ending that was a middle finger salute to fans. Just to reinforce how trite and banal the average comic fare was.

Couldn't disagree more, but at least you've read it, so I don't feel like I'm wasting my time talking to you about it.

The ending lets it down. It wouldn't have worked, nor would Veidt's strategy in the film version.

You missed the point.

Veidt saw the problems that existed and tried to "save the world." But all he succeeded in doing was damning himself to create a very fragile, temporary peace that we could already see unraveling at the end of the story.

152992.jpg.b8d9db4110653f3f41078a4ab7cb2a16.jpg

I would take issue with "tightly executed" unless we are putting it on par with a season of Days of Our Lives. Though, the pacing rivaled snail races. By the time I got halfway through, it felt like a Moore excercise in pontification. I couldn't help but imagine him giggling to himself every few pages, thinking "how much can I shovel in here?" Culminating with an ending that was a middle finger salute to fans. Just to reinforce how trite and banal the average comic fare was.

So...what would be some examples that you would say are some of the best to read in Modern Comics?

So...what would be some examples that you would say are some of the best to read in Modern Comics?

I really enjoyed Y the last man followed closely by Miracleman. I got through about 20 issues of Walking Dead and decided it wasn't my cup of tea, however a lot of that was the art, which I didn't particularly like.

I wasn't impressed by either Courtyard of Neonomicon. I felt like there was a really solid story in there somewhere, but... I don't know. It felt like a B-grade horror flick, especially the way it ended.
Haven't read CY, but Neo came off as just tad 'rapey'.

I wasn't impressed by either Courtyard of Neonomicon. I felt like there was a really solid story in there somewhere, but... I don't know. It felt like a B-grade horror flick, especially the way it ended.

Well, let me know what you think after reading Neonomicon, because after that comment, I'll be interested to hear it.

Well, let me know what you think after reading Neonomicon, because after that comment, I'll be interested to hear it.

Neo is short for Neonomicon, I've read the entire mini. What I'm saying is it wasn't my cup a joe. Clearly it goes deeper in depth into the Lovecraft mythology, but I'm not well versed in it And if anyone has any recommendations I'd be glad to hear them.

Ah for some reason I thought you meant you'd read Courtyard and not Neo - my apologies, I can only say it's late here and I'm tired.

You understand my amusement hopefully, I thought you said you found Courtyard a bit 'rapey'.

Oh, not a bit. lol Can't comment on 'CY' as I have yet to read it. :grin:

I really enjoyed Y the last man followed closely by Miracleman. I got through about 20 issues of Walking Dead and decided it wasn't my cup of tea, however a lot of that was the art, which I didn't particularly like.

So in the 35-ish year history of modern comics, you'd recommend Y the last man and miracleman as the best of the best and give a thumbs down to watchmen and walking dead.

Anything else? Hopefully that's not it...

I am glad someone mentioned The Courtyard. That is just a wonderful example of creepy. Not necessarily gory or over the top, just creepy.

And Neonomicon I enjoyed for what it was. A horror book that depicted a scene of actual horror. That people threw a fit about. I enjoyed his response to the entire debacle as well. To paraphrase, when asked how he felt about people finding it disturbing, he said that it was supposed to be. That to depict that scene in a lighthearted or non disturbing way would have been disrespectful. And I agree.

I am glad someone mentioned The Courtyard. That is just a wonderful example of creepy. Not necessarily gory or over the top, just creepy.

And Neonomicon I enjoyed for what it was. A horror book that depicted a scene of actual horror. That people threw a fit about. I enjoyed his response to the entire debacle as well. To paraphrase, when asked how he felt about people finding it disturbing, he said that it was supposed to be. That to depict that scene in a lighthearted or non disturbing way would have been disrespectful. And I agree.

I think many people that complained about it felt he took a lazy, easy way out. Others were, like you said, simply upset at being upset.

I fall partially on the 'lazy' side myself - I wasn't disturbed or offended... I don't think I could be upset in that way by something that I know is fiction.

Having read WM serially as it came out, and 3-4 times since, I think that it was so good in the beginning and middle that any ending would have been a letdown. I remember wanting it to last forever.

Another post mentioned having to go back to reread the last issue when the new on came out. That was part of the attraction for me. The detail, complexity, easter eggs, symmetries etc. were and still are extremely compelling to me. I still have the original ones bought off the stands that have been read down to VG copies. Never bagged either, truly reader copies.

In many ways, I think the movie really did it justice, mostly in terms of capturing the mood and character development. I know Moore disagrees.

I believe this, along with the first 100 issues of FF are the greatest comics ever. That's just my taste of course.