• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman 251 Club
1 1

117 posts in this topic

I had a copy once.

Bought it many years ago for $5

Decided to sell it at a VCC back in 2009. Graded it at 8.5/9.0

Sold it to a boardie named Nik

He sent it off for grading thinking it had a shot at 9.4

Came back as a white paged 9.6 :facepalm:

I chalked it up to lesson learned.

Not long after that, Nik passed :( but I took comfort knowing that the sale from that comic helped his family.

I just looked at GPA for 9.6s :facepalm::tonofbricks::boo::flamed:doh! The good news is the guy I bought the 251 from also had a 232 and 237. I still have those and they might be nicer than the 251 was. :banana:

Coincidentally, I sold my CGC 9.6 for Nik's fundraiser with all proceeds going directly to Nik's family. Chris (comix4fun) bought it, and resold it on the boards to raise more money for Nik. Great to hear Batman 251 was a book Nik himself liked, and that it was instrumental in raising money for his family.

Shared this in the multipack thread - one of my favourites from my multipack ollection:

104108.jpg

:o That is awesome! What else is in there with it?

Shazam 5 and Superboy 197

etanick, wow man...

Nice.

Did you collect the Adams Tec covers too?

I've been hunting a higher grade Tec #411 for freaking ever with no luck. He only did the cover though, not the interiors.

I collect all Adams cover (thumbs u but 411 is a tough one...all I have is a low grade reader. I don't see high grade copy of that book often and when I do, the price is way too wacky for me to buy....

What are the average grades on those books?

Shared this in the multipack thread - one of my favourites from my multipack ollection:

104108.jpg

:o That is awesome! What else is in there with it?

Shazam 5 and Superboy 197

That may be a sentiment value because it is inside the original 3 comic book pack. I have not seen this one for a long time since I was a young boy. That was the last time I saw the pack at Woolworth.

It is still amazing one!

That's a good choice.

I think it is a close second for me, behind #232 (which is also on my to buy list.... boo.)

232 would be my alternative choice as well, featuring the debut of my favourite Batman villain.

251 wins out on nostalgia value, being the first Adams DC comic that really impressed me, and it features some exceptional artwork. I read it as a reprint in a small, Best of DC digest comic in the late 70s, and soon afterwards bought an original copy.

I nearly collected all Neal Adams Batman/Detective Comics. Only one missing is Tec #408. I narrowly missed it twice but I will get it somehow no matter how hard to get it!

I always believe all copies were done by Neal Adams even only covers he did will be hot in ten years.

I bid for the Sig Series 9.0 in the last auction which eventually went for $500. I was surprised it fetched so much. As I say, I spent $150 for my 9.0 ow 3 years ago. I see many of these for sale on ebay but most of them have no bidders. Really high prices being asked. I wonder what they are actually selling for and if this is just a bubble or a bunch of greedheads trying to cash in? I like the book a great deal, but there are no shortage of copies available. Any of you folks have real sales data?

I bid for the Sig Series 9.0 in the last auction which eventually went for $500. I was surprised it fetched so much. As I say, I spent $150 for my 9.0 ow 3 years ago. I see many of these for sale on ebay but most of them have no bidders. Really high prices being asked. I wonder what they are actually selling for and if this is just a bubble or a bunch of greedheads trying to cash in? I like the book a great deal, but there are no shortage of copies available. Any of you folks have real sales data?

cgc - 12 month average for 9.0 is around 430 - but the latest couple of sales were higher.

So, as far as I can tell, the last time(s) the Joker actually murdered was in Batman #9 and Detective Comics #45. I don't know which murder was actually the last murder, but he didn't kill all the way through the rest of the Golden Age, all of the Silver Age, and started murdering again with this issue. The rest of the time he was just ridiculous. Thank God for Denny O'Neil for getting him out of the Cesar Romero framework and back to the insane killer he was born to be. Hopefully, Jared Leto doesn't ruin the whole thing.