• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Spider-Man rumored to be black?

43 posts in this topic

Doesn't matter.

Why not?

1) Heimdall is now black. Movies made money

2) Wolverine's not 6' 2". Movies made money.

3) Galactus ain't a cloud. Movie made money

4) Bane is a Latino. Movie made money.

5) Ra's Al Ghul is Middle Eastern. Movie made money.

6) The Mandarin is Chinese. Movie made money.

7) Spider-Man movies made money. (too many things wrong to list)

8) I'm sure there's plenty more things. Movies will make money.

Doesn't matter.

Why not?

(thumbs u

Agree with all points except #3. Galactus as a cloud still pisses me off. No offense to any clouds. :blush:

One can only hope for Donald Glover...

One day... maybe

Came here to say this. Got beat to it. I hope it happens for him ASAP. I'm sure you older spoons won't like it much, but Glover would kill it with the younger generation.

One can only hope for Donald Glover...

One day... maybe

Came here to say this. Got beat to it. I hope it happens for him ASAP. I'm sure you older spoons won't like it much, but Glover would kill it with the younger generation.

Let me just say, as an older spoon, it doesn't matter. You want to really shake things up, make the Black Panther a rich, white South African socialite.

Agree with all points except #3. Galactus as a cloud still pisses me off. No offense to any clouds.

I'm still ticked off too. Just an example.

Doesn't matter.

Why not?

This cracked me up. And it's true.

I've always thought of Spider-Man as Peter Parker. I've never read an Ultimate comic. I've heard many different things about them. But a lot of people seem to like the Miles Morales Spider-Man. His costume looks pretty good. Right now there are 5 Spider-Man movies. None of those are as good as the official Marvel movies. If Marvel wants to avoid the known origin story that's been told twice, I would be up for a new Spider-Man.

I'll never understand why characters can't be portrayed as they were originally envisioned. Where does this need to repackage them come from? A black Spider-Man? A british Mandarin? A pasty Ras Al Ghul?

I can see why ethnic groups complain about it - changing an Asian character to a white guy? Changing a white character to a black character? There has to be some sinister reason to such a blatant disregard for the source material!

As much as people want to scream 'DISCRIMINATION!', it's likely these decisions come out of stupidity and a lack of creativity and vision.

If you want a black kid who can climb walls and relate to teenagers, then freakin' write a story about one and make it a blockbuster property on it's own. Trying to rework an existing franchise by shoehorning in a non-traditional character seems extremely short-sighted.

The real danger to the hobby will come in 10+ years or so - when fans of the character will not be able to cogently describe/discuss/comment/converse on the topics because the stories will be so fragmented no one will understand what's being said about it. Part of our collective pop culture social mentality is a common familiarity with characters and their stories - there is a lot of room to work around that, but they keep pushing the boundaries further with each major character change. I think it's hard to build a lasting fanbase around a character who's origin gets rebooted every 4 years.

"Man, I love Spider-man. I think the second movie was the best."

"Oh, the one where the Spider-Clone marries Gwen?"

"No"

"The one where Peter is black?"

"No."

"The one where he fights Captain America?"

"No."

"The one where he met his parents?"

"No."

"The one with Doc Ock?"

"Yeah, that's the one!"

Great time to be a fan of comics - but it's also scary, because what happens to the hobby when it finally implodes? When Marvel, DC and Image have fragmented their comic and media universes to the point that the same character isn't really the same anywhere? We have that going on now in comics (and always have to some point) but with the movies it's getting worse.

I mean, the DCU TV universe is different than the Movie universe - do they expect me, as a fan, to accept Will Smith as Deadshot in the movies when the TV version is much better? Or anyone else on Flash or Arrow that didn't make the movie cut for that matter? As a fan, I've made a connection to those characters, I'm not so willing to give that up. Would someone accept a different actor for Mulder or Scully in an X-Files movie while the original actors are still on TV? Or someone else as Picard?

I don't know when it started changing stuff around. Probably near the beginning of movie making itself. I think few stories have the characters as they were originally intended. Hollywood takes stories and makes them for their audience. Changing certain aspects for the times or for certain markets. Good or bad that will be debated as the Hollywood business people keep collecting money.

Have they (Sony and Marvel) actually said that they were going to combine their cinematic universes together?

Is it possible that the spider-man (be it Miles Morales) that's going to appear in the MCU, differ from the one that'll be in the ASM reboot (a la Peter Parker)

Doesn't matter.

Why not?

1) Heimdall is now black. Movies made money Heimdall isn't the main character. Even less people know who he is than Thor.

2) Wolverine's not 6' 2". Movies made money. Height has never been a factor. Most people are shocked to learn Tom Cruise is 5'2. It just doesn't show up on the big screen.

3) Galactus ain't a cloud. Movie made money Uh.... that movie was a financial loss.

4) Bane is a Latino. Movie made money. No one could tell who Bane was.

5) Ra's Al Ghul is Middle Eastern. Movie made money. Not a big stretch...

6) The Mandarin is Chinese. Movie made money. He was???

7) Spider-Man movies made money. (too many things wrong to list) The last Spider-man movie was a financial flop. Much of the reason is because thy aimed it at a younger audience instead of staying true to it's roots and making a movie that anyone could be entertained by.

8) I'm sure there's plenty more things. Movies will make money. It's not your millions on the line, so that's easy to say.

If you want a black kid who can climb walls and relate to teenagers, then freakin' write a story about one and make it a blockbuster property on it's own. Trying to rework an existing franchise by shoehorning in a non-traditional character seems extremely short-sighted.

Smartest thing anyone has written in this silly thread.

Great time to be a fan of comics - but it's also scary, because what happens to the hobby when it finally implodes? When Marvel, DC and Image have fragmented their comic and media universes to the point that the same character isn't really the same anywhere? We have that going on now in comics (and always have to some point) but with the movies it's getting worse.

I mean, the DCU TV universe is different than the Movie universe - do they expect me, as a fan, to accept Will Smith as Deadshot in the movies when the TV version is much better? Or anyone else on Flash or Arrow that didn't make the movie cut for that matter? As a fan, I've made a connection to those characters, I'm not so willing to give that up. Would someone accept a different actor for Mulder or Scully in an X-Files movie while the original actors are still on TV? Or someone else as Picard?

+1

Franchises that succeed usually stick with the actors that play the role in it.

Once you start making changes, then the audience that has a brain (the older audience that helps make it a blockbuster), sees it for what it is. A money making franchise.

When studios start making changes, it's because they feel something has run it's course and they have to go after the base element to sell tickets. The segment of the population that will buy a ticket regardless of what they put up there. The younger audience.

They used to do this with TV shows, where in the seventh or eight season, as ratings would start to wane, some niece or nephew who was considerably younger and had a 'cute' appeal would show up and become a part of the show. And it would always fail and be looked at as a horrible time in the history of the show.

If you want a superhero movie to succeed financially - and become a franchise that continues down a successful path - then you have to write it so that an older generation of NON fans will be interested in it. Comic Book dum dums will go no matter what. A superhero movie is going to pull $100 million in no matter what. That's not going to cut it today with budgets that are escalating.

You have to appeal to a wider audience.

There's a reason that Peter Quill's interest in music was 10-15 years older than he was (plays to a 40-50 year old audience). There's a reason Robert Downey Jr. is successful as Iron Man (40-50 year olds grew up and loved his movies). There's a reason the Dark Knight movies were so successful (took the character seriously - 40-50 year olds can relate)

Think about the big name movies that failed....

Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern...

Andrew Garfield as Spider-man...

and it's why, ultimately, the new Fantastic Four movie will PROBABLY fail to live up to expectations....

It just doesn't look to be written for 40-50 year NON comic books fans.

And at a budget that I imagine is going to come in at north of 175 million - that's not a winner....

If they want Spider-man to be a black actor - for whatever WEIRD reason they want it - and SUCCEED at the box office - they better hope to god that Will Smith comes to the rescue to play the part. He at least is a legitimate movie star that could possibly pull it off.

No 30 year old virtually unknown singer rapper is going to save this franchise. Disaster.

You can hack this post and send it straight to Sony.

Smartest thing anyone has written in this silly thread.

+1

Franchises that succeed usually stick with the actors that play the role in it.

Once you start making changes, then the audience that has a brain (the older audience that helps make it a blockbuster), sees it for what it is. A money making franchise.

When studios start making changes, it's because they feel something has run it's course and they have to go after the base element to sell tickets. The segment of the population that will buy a ticket regardless of what they put up there. The younger audience.

They used to do this with TV shows, where in the seventh or eight season, as ratings would start to wane, some niece or nephew who was considerably younger and had a 'cute' appeal would show up and become a part of the show. And it would always fail and be looked at as a horrible time in the history of the show.

If you want a superhero movie to succeed financially - and become a franchise that continues down a successful path - then you have to write it so that an older generation of NON fans will be interested in it. Comic Book dum dums will go no matter what. A superhero movie is going to pull $100 million in no matter what. That's not going to cut it today with budgets that are escalating.

You have to appeal to a wider audience.

There's a reason that Peter Quill's interest in music was 10-15 years older than he was (plays to a 40-50 year old audience). There's a reason Robert Downey Jr. is successful as Iron Man (40-50 year olds grew up and loved his movies). There's a reason the Dark Knight movies were so successful (took the character seriously - 40-50 year olds can relate)

Think about the big name movies that failed....

Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern...

Andrew Garfield as Spider-man...

and it's why, ultimately, the new Fantastic Four movie will PROBABLY fail to live up to expectations....

It just doesn't look to be written for 40-50 year NON comic books fans.

And at a budget that I imagine is going to come in at north of 175 million - that's not a winner....

If they want Spider-man to be a black actor - for whatever WEIRD reason they want it - and SUCCEED at the box office - they better hope to god that Will Smith comes to the rescue to play the part. He at least is a legitimate movie star that could possibly pull it off.

No 30 year old virtually unknown singer rapper is going to save this franchise. Disaster.

You can hack this post and send it straight to Sony.

Very good post.

One thing to keep in mind though.

Probably the only time that the age group 40-50 year NON comic books fans matters with Hollywood and advertisers, as for the most part they want the under 34 year old crowd which could be risky when the 40-50 year NON comic books fans become 50-60 year NON comic books fans because you don`t want your audience to get too old. hm