• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pressing Square Bound Books?

11 posts in this topic

I have a copy of Conan the Barbarian Annual #1 from 1973, and by my self-grading, I'd say it appears to be in the 9.4-9.6 range. I was considering pressing, but I have no idea if these types of square-bound books are even pressable without damaging the cover from the staples just inside.

Moreover, the bottom staple creates an ominous bump under the front cover, which looks sort of like the classic crumpled staple from when you try to staple too many sheets of paper together. I'm afraid a press might cause this "bump" to poke right up through the front cover, and I've already noticed ever-so-slight color wear (black, it figures) on the top of the bump.

Otherwise, this book is SO strong. The square binding is absolutely perfect in every other way, no overlap of the spine letters on either side, crisp and square.

I'll try to post a picture in the next day or so, but I appreciate any opinions in the meantime. Thanks in advance!

I have seen square bound books in 9.4 with holes where the staples poked through. Just checked a few of mine and I have 9.8's with very light "bumps" or impressions from the staples.

Square bound books are problematic due to the interior pages being stapled (quite sloppily might I add) and the cover being glued onto the book. A bad press job could easily turn a 9.4/9.6 into an 9.0 or lower.

OK, I think I did this right. Here are the scans:

Alas, I thought the centering of the spine title was better, but you know how memory goes. It's still a beautiful comic.

Look closely for the lower left staple bump on the front cover. This scan does NOT to justice to the height of the bump.

Conan%20Annual%201%20Front_zpsmd0cmtw3.jpg]FRONT[/url]

The back cover has some issues at the top edge, which is why I wanted to press. The top right back corner is not a tear, it's just a darkish line.

Conan%20Annual%201%20Back_zpsr3st3htc.jpg]BACK[/url]

I have a copy of Conan the Barbarian Annual #1 from 1973, and by my self-grading, I'd say it appears to be in the 9.4-9.6 range. I was considering pressing, but I have no idea if these types of square-bound books are even pressable without damaging the cover from the staples just inside.

Moreover, the bottom staple creates an ominous bump under the front cover, which looks sort of like the classic crumpled staple from when you try to staple too many sheets of paper together. I'm afraid a press might cause this "bump" to poke right up through the front cover, and I've already noticed ever-so-slight color wear (black, it figures) on the top of the bump.

Otherwise, this book is SO strong. The square binding is absolutely perfect in every other way, no overlap of the spine letters on either side, crisp and square.

I'll try to post a picture in the next day or so, but I appreciate any opinions in the meantime. Thanks in advance!

When I press these I put a piece of paper between the cover and first page to help keep the cover being pressed into the staples.