• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SPIDEY Weekend, Dallas, April 18 & 19 - DeFalco, Frenz, Barberi, Fingeroth

35 posts in this topic

Great show, great guests. This show keeps getting better and better.

Ron Frenz is doing a homage to ASM 39 with Hobgoblin and Black Spidey and Carlos Barberi is

sketching Spidey, his choice of pose.

Hats off to the organizers!

Back home after an excellent weekend. I'll try to post a few pics tomorrow when I get on a real computer. Ron Frenz is my new favorite con guest. He was awesome all weekend, knocking out amazing sketches one after another and signing books all weekend. Fingeroth and DeFalco were also top notch. Barberi also seemed to be busy all weekend. I've never seen a better guest list for a show of this size, and am looking forward to seeing what the promoter does next!

So, here is my brief con report with a few photos. Sadly my scanner isn't accessible so I can't give any scans of the books I picked up.

As usual, we really enjoyed this show! I like the venue, the promoter, and the more laid back feel of the show compared to some others we've done. The guests (Tom DeFalco, Ron Frenz, Danny Fingeroth, and Carlo Barberi) were top-notch, especially for a show of this size. I've been a fan of their work for decades, and this was the first show that I got to see Frenz and DeFalco and only the second time I've seen Fingeroth after WW Chicago a couple of years ago. Overall crowds were lighter than we saw in late January, and we heard a couple of armchair theories as to why this was, but overall we did slightly better sales-wise than we did in January so overall it was a successful show.

I bought quite a few things, including a lower grade FF #52 (thanks Josh!) from In A Pickle Comics, and copies of DD #18 and TTA #38 that will likely stay in my collection (at least until they're upgraded). I also bought an ASM #252 for show stock to replace the two copies we sold at the show. I traded for a nice VF copy of the Spectacular Spider-man Magazine #2 for my collection, and picked up this beautiful sketch from Ron Frenz that was my prize for the weekend. I went and found him early on Saturday, because if there was one thing I wanted out of this weekend it was a Frenz sketch. He didn't disappoint!

Here are shots of Frenz working on my sketch, the sketch itself, and our booth on Saturday morning before the show opened. Sorry I don't have more shots of the show, but I forgot to take any during the brief times I was out and about. We'll be looking forward to the next two day show!

Frenz.JPG

Sketch.JPG

Wall.JPG

Frenz and DeFalco both were great to chat with. Frenz told me he's always loved Spidey and all he wanted to do was be the penciller on ASM since he was a kid. By comparison a few years ago I asked Neal Adams if he felt any emotional connection or had a favorite character he had worked on and he said he had zero attachment to any character that he had ever drawn and that his favorite character was whatever he was currently working on.

DeFalco had great stories like how when Xmen 1 dropped someone called a few months later to complain about the hundreds (may have thousands) of copies he had left and couldn't move them. After a back and forth with DeFalco asking how much money he made off X-Men 1, the guy wouldn't say but finally admitted he made so much money from the copies he did move that he was able to pay cash for a brand new Porsche. DeFalco replied the guy should be pretty happy with that and what more could he ask for and the guy responded "I could use a new house." DeFalco said both of them stated laughing and that was the end of that discussion. lol

Thanks to everyone that came out this past weekend! Special thanks to the dealers that bring in such great offerings at bargain prices. We appreciate you!

We are already working on the July show and hope to have some interesting guests lined up. Stay tuned!

:applause: