• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RED SONJA from Nu Image/Millennium Films
1 1

58 posts in this topic

Christopher Cosmos To Pen A New RED SONJA -script

-------------------

A live-action film for Robert E. Howard and Roy Thomas' Red Sonja has long been in development by Nu Image/Millennium Films. Now after a long period of no new information on the adaptation the company has hired Christopher Cosmos to write a new -script. Cosmos doesn't have many projects under his belt when it comes to screenplays, but in 2012, he sold his first -script, The Fall, to QED.

-------------------

I didn't realize the false starts that took place.

-------------------

The last time any news on the possibility of another film broke was back in 2010 when Robert Rodriguez tried to reboot Red Sonja with his then girlfriend Rose McGowan. Unfortanately, after sustaining injuries from a car accident she was prevented from portraying the She-Devil. Then in 2011, Simon West was going to take a shot at the character with Amber Heard considered for the lead, but that too fell through. If the film does happen this will be the first time since her 1985 solo outing that Red Sonja has appeared in a live-action film.

-------------------

I would love to see a Red Sonja film, my opinion is that currently most of Hollywood does not know how to make a film like this. The last Conan film and Clash of the Titans/ Wrath of the Titans, and even Immortals: As examples of the genre none of them were very good films.

Amber Heard and Rose McGowan (especially the latter) are both very pleasing to the eyes, but aren't they a bit diminutive to be playing the She-Devil with a Sword? More specifically, I envision an Amazonian type as Red Sonja - not that I'm suggesting that Brigitte Nielsen take up the mantle again.

Christopher Cosmos To Pen A New RED SONJA -script

-------------------

The last time any news on the possibility of another film broke was back in 2010 when Robert Rodriguez tried to reboot Red Sonja with his then girlfriend Rose McGowan. Unfortanately, after sustaining injuries from a car accident she was prevented from portraying the She-Devil. Then in 2011, Simon West was going to take a shot at the character with Amber Heard considered for the lead, but that too fell through. If the film does happen this will be the first time since her 1985 solo outing that Red Sonja has appeared in a live-action film.

-------------------

Edited by MPS

I would love to see a Red Sonja film, my opinion is that currently most of Hollywood does not know how to make a film like this. The last Conan film and Clash of the Titans/ Wrath of the Titans, and even Immortals: As examples of the genre none of them were very good films.

Put whoever the fight-choreographers were on 'Spartacus: War of the Damned' on it. That had some great female warrior scenes.

There was one where a woman came flying into the scene airborne, twin daggers in her hands, locked her legs on her enemy's upper torso and worked both sides of his neck as he stood. Just :censored: brutal. :eek:

They would do Red Sonja justice. :cloud9:

Spartacus-spartacus-war-of-the-damned-33812861-1200-800.jpg

Put whoever the fight-choreographers were on 'Spartacus: War of the Damned' on it. That had some great female warrior scenes.

There was one where a woman came flying into the scene airborne, twin daggers in her hands, locked her legs on her enemy's upper torso and worked both sides of his neck as he stood. Just :censored: brutal. :eek:

They would do Red Sonja justice. :cloud9:

Spartacus-spartacus-war-of-the-damned-33812861-1200-800.jpg

Yes looks great. The look of the character is the least of my worries, can they write a good -script? Or will it play out like the rest of the films in that genre do recently?

Who's that wrestling chick - Caruna(?) - I saw her in a TV movie - she might be good.

I can't see too much serious acting in a Red Sonja film - but looks and action scenes would seem to put her in the frame.

edit: Gina Carano is who I meant.

I guess the film may be off if this turns out to be true.

RUMOR: Bryan Singer Is Developing An R-Rated RED SONJA TV Series

According to Bleeding Cool, X-Men: Apocalypse director Bryan Singer is developing an R-rated Red Sonja series for television along with rights holder Luke Lieberman and Jason Taylor, via Singer’s production company Bad Hat Harry. They don't mention which network it'll be for, but if the show is indeed going for a full-on R rating with blood, guts and sword 'n sorcery sex, then that definitely narrows it down some.

Who's that wrestling chick - Caruna(?) - I saw her in a TV movie - she might be good.

I can't see too much serious acting in a Red Sonja film - but looks and action scenes would seem to put her in the frame.

edit: Gina Carano is who I meant.

Still holding out hope that she is cast as Big Barda. :wishluck:

Gail Simone's Red Sonja Coming to Motion Comics in August

red-sonja-motion-comic-190144.png

From beloved comics writer Gail Simone (Batgirl, Birds of Prey) and artist Walter Geovani (Vampirella, Witchblade), RED SONJA: QUEEN OF THE PLAGUES is coming to home video as a motion comic.

Queen of the Plagues gives the iconic fantasy heroine a fresh new attitude, and now fans can see it all brought to life in this animated comic, starring Misty Lee (Ultimate Spider-Man) when RED SONJA: QUEEN OF THE PLAGUES 2-DISC BLU-RAY™+ DVD Combo Pack and DVD arrive on home entertainment shelves everywhere on August 2, 2016 from Shout! Factory.

AMAZON: Red Sonja: Queen Of Plagues [blu-ray]

Red Sonja is back on due to Wonder Woman's success.

RED SONJA Reboot Officially In The Works; Project Set To Be Fast-Tracked At Millennium Films

There have been various rumors relating to both big and small screen Red Sonja reboots doing the rounds for years, but Deadline now reports that Millennium Films plans on fast-tracking another movie version with a view to developing a new franchise.

“We have been waiting for the right time for this remake, and with the success of Wonder Woman, the audience has spoken. They want female heroes,” said Millennium's Avi Lerner.

Edited by Bosco685

One would think that making a movie starring a scantily-clad woman swinging a massive sword would be a surefire success, but a Red Sonja remake has yet to come to fruition. Fans of the character are in luck, as a screenwriter has reportedly signed on to create a new draft of the comic book character, with Ashley Edward Miller being tapped by Millennium Films in hopes of bringing the project to life.

“It’s an exciting opportunity to faithfully adapt the amazing Hyborean world Robert E. Howard created, and inject it with Sonja’s intelligence, ferocity, and fearless humanity,” Miller shared in a statement. “I want people to love Sonja the way I love her, and walk out of the theater understanding why she’s so popular and enduring. Sonja is an icon.”

Miller is well-versed in the comic book world, having written the screenplays for both X-Men: First Class and Thor. He also wrote the -script for a Big Trouble in Little China remake, as well as delving into the TV world with Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Fringe, and Black Sails.