• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RED SONJA from Nu Image/Millennium Films
1 1

58 posts in this topic

On 6/21/2019 at 5:29 PM, Bosco685 said:

Man, this film has definitely found some hills to climb.

This has me more interested in the movie than I would have been otherwise.  J Soloway wrote some great episodes for Six Feet Under and I am a fan of Transparent too, so I’d check this out if it actually happens.

9 hours ago, westerberg14 said:

This has me more interested in the movie than I would have been otherwise.  J Soloway wrote some great episodes for Six Feet Under and I am a fan of Transparent too, so I’d check this out if it actually happens.

Yeah, I didn't see this as very fitting for someone like Bryan Singer (controversy or otherwise).

'Tomb Raider' Showrunner Tasha Huo to Write 'Red Sonja' With Joey Soloway for Millennium (Exclusive)

Millennium are launching pre-sales at the EFM on their long-gestating fantasy project.

Red Sonja has a new writer.

Tasha Huo, the rising screenwriter who is showrunning and executive producing the upcoming animated Tomb Raider series for Netflix and Legendary, has been tapped to write the long-gestating fantasy reboot with director Joey Soloway. Millennium will be pre-selling the film at next week's EFM.

The fantasy project — based on the sword and sorcery comic book by Dynamite Entertainment — appears now to be very much back on track for Millennium, where it has been in the works for a decade. Soloway (Transparent) was announced as writer and director in 2019, taking over from Bryan Singer who was dropped following an investigative report into the filmmaker in The Atlantic. 

Casting on the film is set to begin immediately.

"I have loved Red Sonja forever and I feel so honored to help shepherd her story and start this cinematic journey. There could not be a greater moment in our world for Red Sonja's ways of wielding power and her connection with nature and our planet," said Soloway. "She is an ancient heroine with an epic calling, and translating that to the screen is a dream come true for me as a filmmaker. I can't wait to collaborate with Tasha on this vision."

Added Millennium co-president Jonathan Younger: "We’re very excited to be bringing Red Sonja to the market and the world. This has been a long time coming. Having Joey Soloway at the helm of this feminist icon franchise is the perfect recipe for a magical adventure, which is exactly what the world needs today."

Hannah John-Kamen, who starred as a villain in Ant-Man and the Wasp and was a lead in series Brave New World, will star in Millennium’s long-gestating sword and sorcery feature.

Joel Soloway is directing the project and co-wrote the -script with Tasha Huo, the screenwriter who is showrunning and executive producing the upcoming animated Tomb Raider series for Netflix and Legendary.

“Hannah is a very talented actress who we’ve been following for years and she IS Red Sonja,” said Soloway in a statement. “Her range, sensibilities and strength are all qualities we have been looking for and we couldn’t be more excited to embark on this journey together.”

The move is a big opportunity for John-Kamen, who has appeared in the Netflix series The Stranger, Steven Spielberg’s Ready Player One, and Tomb Raider with Alicia Vikander but will now find herself toplining an ambitious feature and portraying a recognizable pop culture figure.

The actress, who has garnered acclaim for her work across television, film and stage, recently wrapped production on Resident Evil: Welcome to Racoon City.

2 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I can't visualize her with flowing red hair but I'll wait to see what they can pull off.

I have to agree.

She was good in Ant-Man 2 as Ghost.

Gail Simone, who helped Dynamite Entertainment relaunch Red Sonja in 2013, is a consultant on Millennium's upcoming Red Sonja movie, which announced Ant-Man and the Wasp star Hannah John-Kamen as its start earlier this week. Simone's Red Sonja series ran for 18 issues, and the run remains a popular starting point for fans new to the character, which Dynamite inherited from Marvel Comics in 2005. Dynamite originally continued from where Marvel left off with the character in 1986. After 35 issues, Dynamite killed off the original Red Sonja and replaced her with a "reincarnation" of the character. By the 50th issue, there was a soft reboot that linked the series back up with the original Marvel Red Sonja continuity.

After 80 issues, Dynamite's first Red Sonja series ended. The publisher brought on Simone to launch a new series as a jumping-on point for new readers. Simone's run dug into Red Sonja's early days. On Twitter, Simone says she's "been a consultant on the film since almost day one!"

In a recent conversation with THR, John-Kamen goes on to discuss more about her time as a First Order Officer in The Force Awakens. Then she confirms that she’s still attached to star as Red Sonja in Millennium Films’ long-gestating Red Sonja.

• THR: I have to wrap, but are you still attached to star in Red Sonja?
  • Hannah John-Kamen: Yes! (Laughs.)