• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What makes a good event for comic book collectors?

17 posts in this topic

I'm producing a small comic book expo this fall in San Francisco, and I'd love to start a discussion here around what makes a good event for comic book collectors. I attend a lot of "comic cons" throughout the year, mostly up and down California and many of them feel the same - tons of vendors but only a fraction of them are comic book dealers. The motivation behind producing this event is to bring collectors and dealers together under one roof without all the other "distractions" such as gaming, cosplay, anime, toys, etc. After attending Terry O'Neill's Cal Comic Con this year, I was inspired to create a similar event in the Bay Area, where we have been starved of true comic book expos for years.

So, what makes for a good comic book show for attendees? A completely separate and lengthy discussion can be had about dealers, but for now let's focus on the attendees. What are the things you expect, how do you decide to attend certain shows, anything that should be avoided completely? Some things to think about:

• Cost of admission
  • Celebrity creators
  • Indie creators
  • Number of attendees
  • Swag
  • Etc.

And if you have a spare moment, I'd really appreciate it you fill out this very short survey that asks about these topics. It's really short and only takes a minute. The discussion here and the survey results directly impact the production of this event, so it's greatly appreciated!

As both a collector, frequent con-goer and sometimes dealer, putting on a good event that benefits the community (collectors, creators and dealers) is the main goal.

Survey: http://bit.ly/shortboxed

Thank you!

You've answered your own question, a variety of comic dealers. Creators are nice too, but its all about the dealers.

Parking is necessary, so prioritize this. People can't come to the event if they can't get there.

Keep door fees to $10 or less, $15 for a two day pass. Keep table fees reasonable for smaller dealers to increase variety. Consider setting room up with shorter lengths of booths to increase your corner booth spaces (squares of 4 corner booths works).

I'm lucky in that there are two shows close by. One in Philly where I have to spend $5 to cross the bridge and pay $3 to get in. I seldom go there. They have about 30 to 40 dealers I guess? But it's always the same guys with the same stuff. They used to have a guy that drove up from NC I think? He sold very affordable books. He no longer drives up that far. Several dealers are from up North and charge NYC prices. I guess my point is a wide variety of dealers is more attractive to me. If you just have a bunch of local stores setting up there doesn't seem to be much reason to go, as I could just go to their store. They give away door prizes every hour, $25 table credit at any dealer in the room?

The other show is at a hotel and has less dealers, but the show is every three or four months I think? They also charge $3. They give away door prizes, but it's merchandise already. I guess it's better stuff, but if you don't want the stuff, meh. While they have stores, they also have private individuals too.

I guess bottom line have a variety of dealers, have a low admission unless there's some reason for people to pay that much to get in, giving table credit as a door prize is win/win, wide aisles.

I guess bottom line have a variety of dealers, have a low admission unless there's some reason for people to pay that much to get in, giving table credit as a door prize is win/win, wide aisles.

I agree it's important to have a variety of dealers, because I do see the same dealers at every single show. Finding those dealers who don't go to every show is the tough part! I figure the best way is to just chat with new dealers I see at every show between now and then, there's always a couple...

I agree it's important to have a variety of dealers, because I do see the same dealers at every single show. Finding those dealers who don't go to every show is the tough part! I figure the best way is to just chat with new dealers I see at every show between now and then, there's always a couple...

If the table fees are low enough it encourages collectors to try their hand at dealing. They can turn some books over from their collections, and it brings some fresh faces into the room.

That's a great point - I really like that idea. Perhaps we can reserve a set amount of tables for first-timers or new dealers, so that the usual regulars don't book all the spots.

What do you consider a "low enough" table fee? Of course it varies across the board - I've seen large shows charge anywhere from $250-500 for booths, and small shows charge $50-250. Assume a small show - 20 dealers, 300+ attendees. What's fair and/or expected for a booth?

That's a great point - I really like that idea. Perhaps we can reserve a set amount of tables for first-timers or new dealers, so that the usual regulars don't book all the spots.

What do you consider a "low enough" table fee? Of course it varies across the board - I've seen large shows charge anywhere from $250-500 for booths, and small shows charge $50-250. Assume a small show - 20 dealers, 300+ attendees. What's fair and/or expected for a booth?

It'll depend at least partially on your costs, but I'd think $125-150 is a low enough threshold.

Realistically, for projected attendance of about 400 fans, try to keep your table prices at about $75 for a 6 foot table or say $100 for an 8 foot table including 2 chairs, as I realize rent in San Fran is high.

Here is a link to some pics of the Feb/15 Vancouver, BC comic show that sold out of all 100 8' vendors tables. Wall tables were $75 each plus tax. Square footage for wall space is about 11' across (includes space in btwn vendor's tables) and 7 ' deep so I could set up a spare 6' table on the side for my corner booth.

Location has free convention and street parking. Flat area for loading from mini-vans or trucks into convention hall.

About 12 minute walk from the monorail station for those that don't have a car. If you get tired, there are coffee shops, take out sushi, McD's, Subway and a bank in btwn. For vendors and collectors, the con hall offers a small cafe with hamburger platter or hotdogs, pop, coffee. (thumbs u

Would say this is the proto-typical comic, card, games, Pop Fun toys, some cosplay, independent press show. As such, we cannot afford Neal Adams $20k appearance fee nor that Arrow tv actor (series filmed in Vancouver) Amell's $100k appearance fee for a two (2?) day comicon.

http://www.canadiancomics.net/february-2015.html

Realistically, for projected attendance of about 400 fans, try to keep your table prices at about $75 for a 6 foot table or say $100 for an 8 foot table including 2 chairs, as I realize rent in San Fran is high.

Thanks for the reply! Venue rental in SF is very high, but that's close to what we're projecting in terms of table fees.

The big issue we're facing is actually parking - many will be coming from within SF and will be relying on public transportation and cabs, but a lot will also be coming from the East Bay, South Bay, Peninsula, North Bay and will drive in. Parking is scarce, and oftentimes expensive. Will need to set expectations and give attendees all the parking info they could possibly need so they are well prepared.

Terry's show is the perfect comic book show. One day, low admission price, free parking, reasonable dealer table rates, the raffles are nice and people seem to love it, a couple of good guests and nothing but lots of vintage comic book dealers!

In a nut shell!

Cost of admission- this is dependent on the topic below, celebrity creators. Bigger names can draw bigger prices but either way, I wouldnt want to pay anymore than $20 to get in. Especially without all the other fanfare, attendees are paying you to allow them to spend money, so in that sense, if it really is strictly for collecting and collectors, admission would need to be LOW, at least thats what I think.

Celebrity creators-definitely need one or 2 to draw some more interest and for the collectors who like sigs. Also a good artist alley would also help

Indie creators-I would argue that some indie has become mainstream so its not a fair assessment, but I do think they should be present too. Have to mix it up

Locationbetter if there are other things around. If the place is in the middle of nowhere and people leave to eat for example, they may decide not to come back. So I would say definitely a city area, with restaurants/bars nearby

Number of dealersthis is tricky, you can get away with fewer IF their selections vary and they are all reasonable with pricing, Couldnt even begin to give a number as it also dependent upon the venue

Number of attendees depends on building, I don't like Con's where its too crowded and congested where you can walk with being forced to touch someone. Yet in the same breath, if I show up and only 10 people are there, I'm leaving, dont care about the dealers. I'd say attendees like talking shop with other fans too, not just dealers who have an incentive to talk to them

Swag if the admission price is low, I'm not really expecting anything really. From a fan standpoint, yeah it would be cool to get some swag, but if I paid $5 to get in, I'm not expecting anything so I wouldnt care if there wasnt any

Speaking to Mysterio's point about getting collectors to set up a a table...

I set up at my first show on Sunday because it was only $75 bucks. Was able to have about 50-60 wall books and 8 short boxes for the 6-foot table, so it motivated me to give it a shot.

I attended it in the past, and pretty sure I was the only "new" dealer there.

Terry's show is the perfect comic book show. One day, low admission price, free parking, reasonable dealer table rates, the raffles are nice and people seem to love it, a couple of good guests and nothing but lots of vintage comic book dealers!

In a nut shell!

We loved Terry's show - it was what prompted this entire idea because the Bay Area, CA is starved of a true comic book collector's event. The closest one is a toys & collectibles show in San Jose that has 200 vendors, but 190 of them are toy dealers. In addition to the few "comic cons," of course.

Cost of admission- this is dependent on the topic below, celebrity creators. Bigger names can draw bigger prices but either way, I wouldnt want to pay anymore than $20 to get in. Especially without all the other fanfare, attendees are paying you to allow them to spend money, so in that sense, if it really is strictly for collecting and collectors, admission would need to be LOW, at least thats what I think.

Number of attendees depends on building, I don't like Con's where its too crowded and congested where you can walk with being forced to touch someone. Yet in the same breath, if I show up and only 10 people are there, I'm leaving, dont care about the dealers. I'd say attendees like talking shop with other fans too, not just dealers who have an incentive to talk to them

Great points all around, thanks! These are two in particular are very important factors to us. We want to make it just an enjoyable for attendees as well as the dealers, and any money we can keep in the hands of attendees is extra money they can put towards buying comic books.

I'm pretty sure everyone hates crowded shows, and that question on our survey proves it - nearly everyone rated it highly in terms of importance. The balance we are trying to strike is the "perfect" attendee-to-dealer ratio.

I set up at my first show on Sunday because it was only $75 bucks. Was able to have about 50-60 wall books and 8 short boxes for the 6-foot table, so it motivated me to give it a shot.

:applause: How'd you do?

Funny, we just set up at our first show this Sunday, too, at Sac Con in Sacramento, CA. Tables were only $75 so we gave it a shot and had a very, very successful show. It worked in our favor being a new dealer, since we see a lot of the same guys at every show, and Sac Con was no exception. We wanted to be on the dealer side of the table to learn more about the pain points dealers have to go through at shows, and it helped a lot going through that experience.