• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's threshold for incomplete?

26 posts in this topic

I recently bought the All American with the first Harlequin story at a show. I love the character and really wanted it. It was solid 8.0 raw and a little pricey for me. So I took a good look at it. Turned out the centerfold was missing! I pointed it out and the seller got real defensive. Since I really only wanted it for the first Harlequin story and the beautiful cover, I was able to get it for a little less than the good Ostreet price. I was stoked. The CF was a lousy story I wouldn’t have read anyway. Hard to grade a book like that poor. Qualified seems to work here and I am very happy to add it to my collection. 

On 3/3/2015 at 5:51 PM, Sqeggs said:

Does the staple have to be original? hm

Depends on the age of the book.  Pre 1944 books definitely need the original staples, because marrying a high radiation staple with a low radiation book creates galvanic corrosion.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-background_steel

Note:  I am not a scientist. 

On 3/2/2015 at 11:38 PM, jgallo said:

anything missing will be listed as incomplete, depending on how small a piece is, it might not drop down to a .5. The other option is go green label of course. I had a book missing a small coupon like 1x3 off the last non story page and it was still listed as incomplete. Book was nice otherwise I think it may have been a 2.0 or 1.5/1.8.

James G

What if the cover is detached but it still has the staples? Does that count as incomplete as well?

On 9/21/2022 at 8:03 PM, Phill the Governor said:

No.

As far as I’ve seen, detached covers top out at around 3.5/4.0 if the book is otherwise a 9.0+ candidate.

Well that's pretty liberal.  Overstreet grading sez; 

2.0 GOOD (GD): Shows substantial wear; often considered a "reading copy." Cover shows significant wear and may even be detached.